1 can coconut milk - unsweetened
corn meal
black pepper
curry powder
ginger
paprika
nutmeg
olive oil

Put just enough olive oil in a pan to fry with - not going for deep fry here. turn on a low heat to warm up.

mix dry spices & corn meal in a broad deep dish (enough to dip a filet into). I don't think I used enough curry (I don't measure & this was an experimental dish) so I'd say use ALOT -almost 50/50 curry/corn meal. Just a bit of the others: very light on the ginger and nutmeg, couple dashes of pepper and paprika. Set to the side.

Open can of coconut milk and put this in a similar broad and deep dish as the dry.

Coat filet in coconut milk thoroughly, then into corn meal mix - you want to flip the filet several time to have a nice thin but stable coating, shake it off a few times and recoat.

If the oil is hot enough, turn it up to medium high to keep it hot, fry filet until both sides are a deep golden brown - not tan - brown. This way, you know the coating is cooked into a solid "crunch" and won't slip off the fish so easily. cool slight on a papertowel - serve hot.

Other notes: my coating came out kind of bland - I honestly don't know if this will be true in all cases if enough spices are added. However, the coconut milk gets cooked into the tilapia making for a light, slightly sweet, VERY yummy fish - almost creamy in texture (not slimy or gooey) !!!!!! Feel free to play with the recipe and repost if some improvements/additions are made!

Replies

• babycam
    babycam Posts: 1
    Options
    Tilapia or any white fish fillet goes very well with coconut milk. Try lightly frying the fish if it still has its skin, if plain fillet without skin no need to fry. Season with your preferred seasonings. I like to use a little steak seasoning, or just freshly ground black pepper, pinch of salt, a little of Mrs. Dash or freshly minced ginger or garlic.. Wrap the seasoned fillets in fresh leaves of chard, pechay, or mustard leaves. In a large skillet place the fillet in one layer, cover with coconut milk, and slow cook until fish is done. If a more tasty fish is desired, add a few fresh ginger slices and 2 or 3 three-inch whole green peppers. Enjoy!!!
  • sdkpac
    sdkpac Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks, this sounds yummy. I am always looking for new fish recipes. Do you have the nutrition stats on it?
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this sounds yummy. I am always looking for new fish recipes. Do you have the nutrition stats on it?

I don't... I figured it would be danged hard since I don't measure to get it right, plus you're not really using a "serving" of the milk or spices - so I just put in tilapia and then made a little thing in "my foods" or whatever and added 15 cals. I know it's not much fat, cholesterol, etc... but I don't know the details. You're welcome to look at my diary to get a clearer idea of what I did (I think it's open?).