Getting Your SO to want to lose weight..

Options
When my husband and I married in 2008, we were both obese. I was 205 on our wedding day but ballooned up to 241. I'm now 143 (whoop, whoop) and feeling great. My husband is 5'9", 240 lbs. I'm trying to get him to see the need to lose weight. He stopped drinking regular soda, but will not eat any of the "healthy" food I cook. He's happy being fat. Or so he says. I'm still attracted to him, but I know if he loses 40 lbs, he'll look even more yummy. I'm more concerned about his health. His dad died from complications to diabetes at a young age, and I don't want that to happen to him!

Any tips??

And yes, I know I'm going to get smart *kitten* remarks. I'm prepared for all that.

Replies

• collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss, ANd i wish there was a special powder that w could put in the stubborn spouse's soda! I told my hub if he would workout with me 3 days a week, i would learn to play his ps3 games, lmao! That could be our time togethet, he agreed, that was2 weeks ago, he hadn't exercised, i haven't played, although, i an kinda lucky, he does eat the veggies, and just about any meat i
    cook, there's really no way to make him do it, just tell him flat out, c if that works. I told mine that he want getting "something" (wink) till i lost 5 lbs, he was all over me in tge kitchen, telling me, that's not healthy, u don't need that soda.. It worked.. Maybe u could try that. No sex till u drop 5 lbs.
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hm.... I pat his belly and ask how far he's along... but he's happy as long as he don't put on weight... He's not over weight by a lot but he'll turn 40 this year and our bodies change as we grow older.. that's what I tell him a few times a week. Hope he agrees soon... :tongue:
  • YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If you are the one doing the cooking, maybe look into alternate recipes of his favorite foods and use healthy substitutions for some of the ingredients. The hungry girl cook book does a good job of that, as do cook books written by Devon Alexander. He doesn't HAVE to know he's on a diet. :wink: One thing that will never work though, is nagging. That's the best way to get someone to resent what are otherwise good intentions. Maybe casually start suggesting physical activity? "Hey, let's go bowling!" Or some such fun thing to get the blood flowing a few times a week together.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    He'll lose it if he wants to and there's nothing you can do to push it along. Prepare healthy meals, try to plan exercise type outings and don't nag. Think about why you lost weight? Was it because someone else was nagging you or commenting on how you looked or how much better it would be if you lost it? Probably not. Most people just get defensive and dig in even more. You can express your concerns to him about his health but I'd leave out how much more attractive he would be at a lower weight.
  • serapi
    serapi Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Nothing you will do will motivate him to change. You have to continue to tell him how you feel and encourage him. Don't criticize his weight b/c that will make him dig in his heels even more.

Just keep mentioning the health benefits...yatta yatta....tell him you worry about him and his health and that you love him...yatta yatta.

If that doesn't work, use hypno tapes while he's sleeping :)
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    If he doesn't like what you cook, does he cook something himself, expect you to make something else for him or go and get fast food? I agree with YAYJules. Find a way to make a healthier version of his favorite foods. I make tacos, lasagna, chili, chicken parm (baked in the oven instead of fried) with lower fat ingredients with some veggies snuck in. All kinds of stuff that the whole family will eat, only with healthier ingredients.