need advice for losing 5lb quick

Options
Is there a healthy way to lose 5lb by Jan 20th?

im sure some of you made dislike what i am about to say and ask, but i need some advice. Long story short, My mom, brother, and I all had a diet challenge. If I can get to 154 by Jan 20th, my parents are paying for my whole vacation that we leave on 21st for. I have been working out 5 days a week doing various cardio for 30-45min and minimal weights. I'm currently at 159. I need good suggestions for cutting these last 5lb by next sunday......as healthy as possible. I know it sucks but its about $2500 and i am 5lb away...so i would like to hit it if possible.

Replies

• heymirth
    heymirth Posts: 448
    Options
    Buy a Xyngular Ignte Kit. (Google it). It's $240 The 8 day ignite will jump start your metabolism and you will loose weight and inches if you stick to the 8days without cheating. I did t and kept it off for 3 months. I did lose 8lbs and 6inches in just 8 days.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Cut your calories to 1200, eat really clean and exercise like crazy. Avoid sodium, and eat nothing but protein for the day or 2 before your weigh in. Not super healthy but it won't kill you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You don't need to buy any kit or anything. A quick way to lose some weight, knowing it's not long term and you will gain it back pretty quick, is just cut carbs for a week or two. This will store less glycogen which means less water weight. But at 159 it might be difficult. Set carbs to around 50g, get all your carbs from veggies and limit fruit. Eat plenty of whole lean proteins and fats. No process foods. This means you can cut dairy and grains for 10 days. Also, if you have been exercising, stop. Stop exercise about 3-5 days before the weigh in as you store water weight to repair your muscles. Eat a moderate deficit 1 lb per week. This should help you cut at least 5 lbs of water weight.
  • jonesie84
    jonesie84 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My calories are already at 1200. I will try cutting out all the carbs i can. Someone also said green tea works. thanks for the advice.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    My calories are already at 1200. I will try cutting out all the carbs i can. Someone also said green tea works. thanks for the advice.

Green tea won't provide any more loss, and neither will any other type of food. Green tea can provide antioxidants, that's about it.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    If you have been working out already, and eating correctly, then no you really can't lose 5 lbs in a week.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    If you have been working out already, and eating correctly, then no you really can't lose 5 lbs in a week.

Not necessarily true. Can you lose 5 lb of fat... nope, but can you lose 5 lb of water weight, maybe.
  • FluroFaye
    FluroFaye Posts: 130
    Options
    Go to fattofitradio.com and find your TDEE. Try and cut that by 1000 cals a day (Try not to go under your BMR!) and you should lose 2.5lbs of FAT a week.
    Eating 1200cals is going to compromise your metabolic rate and is BAD for you in the long run. Don't waste your money on stupid kits.

Also try lifting as heavy as you can in strength exercises. That'll burn a lot of fat and help tone you up.

I ask the question though...should you be focusing on numbers (5lbs if really insignificant) or they way your body actually looks? If it's the latter, do what I have said, paying particular attention to weights and general exercise :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Is there a healthy way to lose 5lb by Jan 20th?

im sure some of you made dislike what i am about to say and ask, but i need some advice. Long story short, My mom, brother, and I all had a diet challenge. If I can get to 154 by Jan 20th, my parents are paying for my whole vacation that we leave on 21st for. I have been working out 5 days a week doing various cardio for 30-45min and minimal weights. I'm currently at 159. I need good suggestions for cutting these last 5lb by next sunday......as healthy as possible. I know it sucks but its about $2500 and i am 5lb away...so i would like to hit it if possible.

Water + sodium loading then depletion
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily true. Can you lose 5 lb of fat... nope, but can you lose 5 lb of water weight, maybe.

Already working out and eating healthy, meaning sodium at correct levels.. very doubtful...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Buy a Xyngular Ignte Kit. (Google it). It's $240 The 8 day ignite will jump start your metabolism and you will loose weight and inches if you stick to the 8days without cheating. I did t and kept it off for 3 months. I did lose 8lbs and 6inches in just 8 days.

You do not 'jumpstart' your metabolism - it is not like a car with a dead battery. Its a VLCD with some random supplements.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

This is true, you can lose 5 lbs if you were eating too much for the past week i.e. Christmas dinners and such but if you are already low-cal, it's pretty hard.

If you do the 3-day shakeology cleanse that can help get 3-6 lbs off quick (most of it will come back but it’s something….) I've done it twice in the past 3 years with protein powder instead of Shakeology to kick start an eating plan or at the end of a Biggest Loser competition to try and win. It's about 800 cals a day and low carb hence the decrease on the scale.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I am not advocating this at all, but the sure fire-est way I know to lose 5 pounds when you've been eating low cal already in that amount of time is dehydrate yourself. But don't.
  • HulkDiesel77
    HulkDiesel77 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    LOL.......5 lbs. in a week in a half! If you are already working out and eating right that is a tall order!! Not that can't be done but it is not realistic and even if you loss it the loss will be superficial and will not stay gone but there is nothing wrong with trying......Just think cardio, cardio, cardio lol
  • mynicename
    Options
    the scarsdale diet, combined with exercise, the healthiest and best way to loose a pound a day!!

link below:
    http://lowcarblisa.tripod.com/thescarsdalemedicaldiet/id18.html

on that a person loses 14 pounds in two weeks

I swear by it
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions I have would likely earn me a strike for promoting unhealthy habits. Sorry.
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    you need to flush yourself, like Montezuma's Revenge flush yourself. Over the holidays I lost 9 pounds in one day! TMI? I don't care...:tongue:
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Oh, you could always catch the flu. :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    There's lots of ways to do it. None of them are really healthy. I'm tiny and I can drop 5 lbs in a week no problem but it's definitely not recommended and it comes right back. For $2500 I think I'd try it though! Problem is you'd feel like crap for your trip.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Water + sodium loading then depletion

This. Keifer from DangerouslyHardcore has a clip up somewhere (I can't check youtube or watch vids at work) with a pretty decent strategy that doesn't involve sauna suits and all that crap that can be pretty dangerous if you don't know what you're doing (and even if you do).