80 pounds to lose quickly. Any suggestions

Options

Replies

• cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options

Realistically, if you lose your motivation to lose, then you need reassess on why you are trying to lose weight in the first place.

^^^ This is such very good advice that I'm pointing it out again.
  • lindseynyfarmer
    Options
    How quickly?
  • jenihullett
    jenihullett Posts: 241 Member
    Options

I agree with the others. I found this article super helpful when I hit a plateau in my weight loss. Eating too little is just as bad as eating too much, and can hinder your weight loss goals. Get you nutrition in control, start doing some mild exercise, and build from there. Track everything you eat. That helped me greatly!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I'm currently weighing in at 248 and would like to lose about 80 pounds. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can lose the weight, preferably quickly? I know that slow and steady wins the race but I don't want to lose my motivation with slow weight loss and stay at this weight for another year.

I think you need to reassess your definition of "slow weight loss".

FAST weight loss is in the ballpark of 3 lbs a week. This translates to about 27 weeks (6 mos) to lose 80 lbs "fast". In order to lose weight this quickly, you'll need to be eating reduced calories (maybe 300-500 /day below maintenance PLUS cardio and strength training, likely 6 days a week.

Please just keep in mind that losing 80 lbs 6 months would be considered extremely fast weight loss.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I'm currently weighing in at 248 and would like to lose about 80 pounds. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can lose the weight, preferably quickly? I know that slow and steady wins the race but I don't want to lose my motivation with slow weight loss and stay at this weight for another year.

If you start now you won't be at this wight for another year, you will weigh less by next month and it might be gone in a year. If you go on a crash diet, you may well be back up to this weight within a year.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    build a time machine and start last year
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I don't want to lose my motivation with slow weight loss and stay at this weight for another year.

Regardless why would you have to wait another year?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    OP, some of these responses are a bit snarky but I hope you don't just dismiss them at face value. At their base, they have the best of intentions, even if they come off as a bit mean or rude. For those of us who've been around the block a few times and finally found success, we know that losing quickly is not the way to go. Being in a rush/impatient is a recipe for disaster. Instead of anticipating that you'll give up as soon as your weight loss slows or even stalls, how about thinking about ways you can get around that. How you can be more patient and understanding about the weight loss process...

I know it's tough and I know you want it bad but honestly, if you want it bad enough you will figure out how to continue on through the struggles and tough times. Losing weight is not always easy but it is necessary for your health and wellbeing.

Do this for life, not just to get to a certain weight.

Losing 1-2 pounds per week is a good healthy rate which means give yourself at least 1 1/2 if not 2 years to do this.

I wish you the best of luck!
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    There is no magic pill, there is no magic food, there is no magic Mike....

A year from now you can be a year older and not at your goal, or you can be a year older and closer to your goal, perhaps even at your goal. But if you aren't willing to pay the price of controlled eating and exercise at a pound or two a week average, then you will be like most of the world this time next year wondering why they are not reaching the goals they have.

Or you can do the boring non magical weight loss. Eat less than you burn.
  • dtiapril
    Options
    To lose 80lb in a year would be a job well done. Don't expect to rush these things. Have a think about how long it took you to put that weight on.

It has to be slow and steady, and it's not going to be easy. But weekly weigh ins and regular losses should help you keep on track, especially when your clothes start feeling to big.

I'm sorry, there's no easy fix, just determination to get to goal and not to go back.

I wish you good luck on your journey x
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

80 pounds of fat or just 80 pounds? 80 pounds healthily or just 80 pounds regardless of the consequences? Are you willing to accept terrible sagging skin everywhere? Watch those shows like 'The Biggest Loser' and 'A Year to Change my Life' - they eat incredibly regimented day in and day out for months and do hours of moderate to intense exercise a day. Another option is weight loss surgery: not telling you that you need or should have that, just another extreme option that will achieve what you want. And last but not least prescription medication, with all the side effects and risks that entails.

Your motivation should not be a relatively short term weight loss change, if you want to keep the weight off you need to change your eating habits and activity levels for life, and you won't have the number on the scales going down to motivate you all that time. Few people can lose more than about two pounds of fat a week, losing that much is not slow it's healthy and maximal. If it's only motivating to you when you are losing muscle and bone density then it is your attitude that needs adjusting not the scales. Maybe consider some form of therapy or counselling perhaps from someone trained in motivational interviewing techniques, this can really help with shifting attitudes, expectations and drawing out inner motivation to change unhealthy behaviour patterns.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I started out at 242 and lost the first 40lbs pretty quickly, about 2-3 pounds a week for the first 6-8 weeks! It slows down after that to the normal 1-2lbs a week but it's GREAT motivation to keep going!

Edit; It took me about 1 1/2 years to lose 80lbs, then unfortunately I started nursing school and gained some back, so I'm back at the grind! LOL!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    In the long run "slow and steady" keeps the weight off. You want to lose 80 pounds in 2 months just to weigh 20 pounds more than you do now in 12 months, be my guest and go try another fad diet.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You could cut off a leg?

(sorry, that's not helpful, but I couldn't help myself. There's no healthy way to lose that amount of weight "quickly". You didn't put the weight on overnight, you won't lose it overnight. Good luck!)

Cut off both. More weight loss.
  • shannac254
    Options
    Have you watched the documentary "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead"? It's very inspirational but I guarantee if you juice the first couple of days are rough but within a week you will start to feel better, and have so much energy! You'll lose a ton of weight fast but more importantly you're going to give yourself so many nutrients and vitamins.
  • Meghunn
    Meghunn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with others. Its not healthy to drop a lot of weight quickly. And it almost ALWAYS comes back. Start a healthier life style. Its not an over night thing. It takes work, Don't be lazy. When I was pregnant and gained 20lbs, my OB told me "it took 9 months for you to gain that weight. Don't be surprised if it doesn't just go away. Give yourself 9 months". Luckily it all did go away and was water retention. But still. Don't take the easy way out with crash diets. You will be in the same place in 6 months. COMMIT
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Not to bash you too but if it were so easy don't you think the entire world would be thin? Sadly, you must pay your dues like the rest of us. This is NOT a diet but a lifestyle change. Eat healthy food, portion control and move your body.
    I wish you luck.

Exactly what she said ^^

It's a lifestyle change, not just a diet to live by for xx number of months until your "goal" is reached. If you only see a diet as a temporary change, you'll gain back the weight you've lost. Personally, I'm vegan and I stay active (at the gym 4x/week for 90+ min each time) - luckily, I actually enjoy going to the gym (Zumba, strength training, running & yoga) so I don't mind the time I spend there. Find activities you actually enjoy doing - it makes a world of difference!!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, what works for me might not for you. And you aren't going to lose 80 pounds fast and safely without a doctor's supervision and maybe not even then.

I've been losing for a year and a couple of months now. First I just counted calories and worked out (sometimes). But low carb has been the fastest, easiest way for me to lose weight. Somewhat faster than just tracking calories and much easier on my nerves (I hate being hungry all the time and low carb really cuts my appetite). Exercise is a necessity. Or you'll feel like crap and look like crap and probably quit really quickly.

Exercising on low carb is rough at first, too. The first few weeks of low carb are rough in general. For me it has been worth it and I plan on staying low carb the rest of my life (otherwise I'd just gain it all back and then some).

Other advice for losing weight? Set small goals to work toward as well as your final goal.

Use this site. Log in every day and track everything you eat and everything you do.

Get a good heart rate monitor but don't necessarily trust that you're burning what it says. They can be very inaccurate, especially for women. Learn to love exercise (as much as you can anyway, I'm still struggling with motivation, it's much easier to count calories, but much more effective and healthy to work out!).
  • Meghunn
    Meghunn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There is no magic pill, there is no magic food, there is no magic Mike....

A year from now you can be a year older and not at your goal, or you can be a year older and closer to your goal, perhaps even at your goal. But if you aren't willing to pay the price of controlled eating and exercise at a pound or two a week average, then you will be like most of the world this time next year wondering why they are not reaching the goals they have.

Or you can do the boring non magical weight loss. Eat less than you burn.

THERE IS NO MAGIC MIKE?!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Have you watched the documentary "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead"? It's very inspirational but I guarantee if you juice the first couple of days are rough but within a week you will start to feel better, and have so much energy! You'll lose a ton of weight fast but more importantly you're going to give yourself so many nutrients and vitamins.
    Lol, if you juice and nothing but juice, then you'll actually be upsetting the macronutrient profile that one needs for sensible weight loss. This is nothing more than another diet that can't be sustained by the average person.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition