Alcohol...My Weakness!

Options

Replies

• kellysulser
    kellysulser Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many calories there are in whiskey....I mean, it is condensed beer (more or less)? Although I'm pretty sure suggesting someone drank neat whiskey in place of beer is not a 'healthy solution', but it might be fun.....

That is hilarioius!! Maybe I should try that....except after drinking MGD64 for so long, guessing if I start drinking neat whiskey it will only be fun for those watching me make an *kitten* out of myself!!

BTW - about 105 calories per shot in your average whiskey - it mixes well with water and a slice of lemon so I already know that one :drinker:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many calories there are in whiskey....I mean, it is condensed beer (more or less)? Although I'm pretty sure suggesting someone drank neat whiskey in place of beer is not a 'healthy solution', but it might be fun.....

If my digestive system could handle neat (or near neat) spirit then it would be my drink of choice.

Beer just bloats me out, I love a decent ale but I do know it doesn't help with blubber control.

As a compromise I drink dry red wine.

Regularly.

In unfeasibly large quantities.

Really, a lot of it.

An absolute lake of the stuff.

Doing it now actually (not that you'd notice ;)).

And I will wake tomorrow after a solid night's kip having lost some fat.

If you love it, work it in, and don't assume all calories are equal ;)
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    You just have to pace yourself when you drink. It does not sound as if you might need to start thinking about going to AA already because you have like 6 beers & a shot or two in a whole week. :laugh:

I drink between a 125ml - 175ml small glass of red wine almost every evening, it;s a nice way to wind down and full of antioxidants but I always make sure I have room in my macros for it. It is always in moderation.

I know alocholism very well and it doesnt sound like you are suffering from it (yet) to be quite honest :drinker:
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here, and we want them now!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Vodka and crystal light mixed together....yummy and lo-cal

That sounds yummmmmmmm
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Love that line!
  • 13Jools
    13Jools Posts: 10
    Options
    I agree with you on this. If you find it is a "need" you need to seek help on this issue. I do enjoy a glass of wine on occasion with dinner out. Fermented foods are important to our diet and wine helps with digestion of meats.
  • krs5201
    krs5201 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've pinned this on Pinterest for ideas:

http://greatist.com/health/60-healthier-drinks-for-boozing-030712/

There's also a cool chart floating around out there that let's you see calories of popular drinks in bar graph form. I'll look around for it.
  • nbkpjud
    nbkpjud Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If I know I am going to be drinking, I put in a few extra miles. If I know I will be going to a party, where I usually lose control, I have been know to put in 10 miles on the day of the party and bank calories all week.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has always got in the way of my weight loss, I have managed to restrict my alcohol intake to 1 or 2 days a week which is a great help. However, when you think about it, 6 pints of Stella lager is almost my entire days calorie allowance! Chuck in a few shots of vodka and a whiskey or two and I've ruined all the hard work I put in during the week.

I have a birthday party to go to this evening so it's probably going to get a bit messy, I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how to stay in control of the calories without resorting to complete abstinence or drugs.

Thank you in advance :-)

Extra exercise the day before, on the day and the day after will help also, rather than eat loads less on the day, just be a little under with cals for a few days only, to give you some breathing room. after all diets are not made, or undone by one night out so look at your weekly averages. don't go too low though either! as others have said, also look at lower cal drinks, vodka or any spirit with diet drink (coke etc) will help a lot and maybe wine with diet lemonade in it. wine rather than beer is my downfall :(
  • MarGetsThinner
    Options
    I LOVE beer. It's a huge weakness for me as well. And I really just enjoy to have a buzz going some days. One of the things I have been trying to do is switching it out to just drink some whiskey (Makers, on the rocks, yumyum!) because I just can't stomach the cheaper/low cal beers. But on days that I know that I will be drinking (last night, for example) I keep my food intake as low as I can so that I have room for the extra beer calories.
  • krs5201
    krs5201 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've pinned this on Pinterest for ideas:

http://greatist.com/health/60-healthier-drinks-for-boozing-030712/

There's also a cool chart floating around out there that let's you see calories of popular drinks in bar graph form. I'll look around for it.

This is what I was referring to:

Get-Drunk-Not-Fat.jpg

if anyone can help me with the coding to make this smaller, I'd appreciate it
  • devosd73
    devosd73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My husband enjoys his beer but has switched to a vodka diet cranberry instead. Far less calories! The following recipe makes one 50-calorie serving and tastes pretty good.

3 ounces Diet Ocean Spray® Cranberry Juice Drink
    3/4 ounce raspberry Flavored Vodka
    Squeeze of lime
  • djenah79
    Options
    wine is my weakness...i got into the habit of having a few glasses with my evening television shows, and i think it really helped pack on extra pounds. I've managed to cut it out of a daily routine, but if i had a party to go to, i probably wouldn't not drink just because I'm watching my calories. Just be sure to exercise that day - maybe get in some extra cardio to offset the cals, try to eat healthy for the day, and try to choose a less cal option.
  • 2013queen
    Options

If my digestive system could handle neat (or near neat) spirit then it would be my drink of choice.

Beer just bloats me out, I love a decent ale but I do know it doesn't help with blubber control.

As a compromise I drink dry red wine.

Regularly.

In unfeasibly large quantities.

Really, a lot of it.

An absolute lake of the stuff.

Doing it now actually (not that you'd notice ;)).

And I will wake tomorrow after a solid night's kip having lost some fat.

This made me laugh so much. Could be me.
    That said, I haven't drunk any red wine this year (this is actually remarkable) add I'm really set on cutting the cals I used to drink. I was definitely a glass most nights kinda gal, and thought I'd struggle to break the habit, but I've replaced it with exercise so that's good.
    Tonight I'm out with friends and will have a few vodka and sodas.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    And anyone who says AA has obviously never been to a frat party in college

Haha try a frat party in Wisconsin.. gotta get that binge drinking stat up.. haha.

I usually like to drink once a week, I log it, exercise before, usually drink vodka or whiskey but sometimes beer... just depends how I feel.. I am not giving up everything that makes life, life..
  • kmillers
    kmillers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    What advice would you give to someone who said "I want to lose weight but I love chocolate cake. I can't just have one slice of chocolate cake, I need to eat an entire cake at a time."

I'd argue that the societal acceptance of alcohol abuse has you confused about whats right here.

I love this. I am a recovering alcoholic of 2 years and never saw my life without alcohol. Since getting sober, I have lost 65lbs and feel amazing. I can't imagine ever going back. When I drank, I broke out in handcuffs.

Sure, drinking alcohol can be fun at times...but needing to have alcohol to have any fun is not. Now, I have a great time sober plus work out the morning after while my friends are still in bed or eating something greasy to try and feel better. Alcohol is poison, that is why you feel like crap after drinking it. Just think about it.
  • avinalaff123
    avinalaff123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well! First, many thanks to all you for your responses - even those who are suggesting that I'm a raging alcoholic lol!

I have to say there were some really great suggestions here, I'm definitely going to try drinking water in between, perhaps drinking something different like red wine (which I think goes really nicely with water to clear your palate between glasses) or watering white wine down with fizzy water.

I also think putting your drink down between slurps was a great idea. Sadly I don't know of any 'diet' alcohol in the UK and to be honest the idea of alcohol free alcohol sort of defeats the object for me but I'm definitely up for 'earning' the calories by working out hard before and after the event.

Again, many thanks for all this - really great advice - I'm now off to PARTY!!!!

Have a great weekend everybody :-)

Phill
  • Momma1213
    Options
    We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here, and we want them now!

Yes, in red please.
  • bahrtamara
    Options
    First ditch the beer - there's a reason it's called a beer belly. Second as others have said vodka is low cal for alcohol. 3. Red wine is a nice tasty sipping option and good for you in moderation. Today is too late but for future plan ahead and cut 200 cals per drink you think you will have on a cheat night. One 20 minute session of the 30 day shred will buy you 150-250 cals give or take. You can save up a few calories in a week easy. Binge drinking can be problematic causing you to want to eat as well so reach for carrots with hummus on the snack table or bring a low cal snack with you if you think pizza will be the only option. Have fun - try not to overdo the drinks though:)