Strong Lifts 5x5 , starting at lower weight than 45lbs?

Options
2»

Replies

• wannalosew82
    wannalosew82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    For the lifts you do in stronglifts you should be able to do 45 lbs. They are big compoung movements, not the little isolation exercises you are probably doing with 20s.

But if you are unable to squat 45 lbs is it not better to start somewhere lower and work towards that weight?
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    For the lifts you do in stronglifts you should be able to do 45 lbs. They are big compoung movements, not the little isolation exercises you are probably doing with 20s.

But if you are unable to squat 45 lbs is it not better to start somewhere lower and work towards that weight?

If you can't lift X weight on any lift then of course you start lower. It is just unlikely that anyone can't squat 45 lbs. A beginner woman might not be able to do 45 for standing press, but squats should be no problem.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    so last night at the gym I started the Strong Lifts....

Squats... couldnt do 45 lbs but whizzed thru 25 lbs with little effort.... Not sure what to do about that on Monday, my next lift day...

Bench Press, pretty much the same.... I could lift 45 lbs maybe 3 times.... the "trainer" seemed to think I could do more but I really couldnt...but when I got down to 25 lbs it was easy peasy....

maybe 35lbs for both on Monday? or would it be better to do the 45 lbs but only 3 reps?

I have the iphone app and didnt realize until after that you could record amounts lower than 5 for reps
    it woudnt let me change the weight amount to lower than 45

I could not do even one barbell row at 65 lbs.... but I did 35 lbs with little effort.... so again, on Monday should I do 5x5 at 45 lbs ?

I still did a lil machine work after, both inside & outside hip adductors and seated leg press.....Im liking my progress on these
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    We all start somewhere. It's the gains that count.
  • HIITMe
    Options

that doesn't really answer my question I do appreciate your response regardless
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Here's my answer: Yes, I started lower than 45 pounds. No, it is not a waste MY time. I feel that the machines are more a waste of time. I would start on Monday at 40 pounds. Better?
  • HIITMe
    Options
    Here's my answer: Yes, I started lower than 45 pounds. No, it is not a waste MY time. I feel that the machines are more a waste of time. I would start on Monday at 40 pounds. Better?

yes that helps. thanks
    I hear others say machines are a waste of time. as a newbie to this, I still do not understand why
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

yes that helps. thanks
    I hear others say machines are a waste of time. as a newbie to this, I still do not understand why

they are inefficient (depending on your goals) which is the same thing as being a waste of time.

for instance to work the same muscles you work doing back squats(ham, glutes, quads, hips, low back, upper back, core) you'd have to use multiple machines.

besides that, using the free weights is going to do more develop overall strength than using machines. just have a look at the way machines are positioned, they are not situated in ways that normal humans would use that particular muscle. machines are made more for bodybuilders and people who are going for a certain look more so than people who are looking to build over all strength. of course you can do both, but they arent going to work you the same way.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Good explanation.

Using a barbell and a program like strong lifts 5x5 is more efficient because it uses compound lifts.
  • HIITMe
    Options
    thanks bunches i have a plan for Monday now
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You will likely be fine for the squat and deadlift. For OHP and bench press, you can use dumbbells if you need to lift < 45. Not a big deal. In fact, dumbbells are arguably superior for those exercises.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

^^^^This^^^
  • l4rest50
    l4rest50 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Can I just ask, is this stronglifts a book or a pdf or what?
    I went to site once for stronglifts but it said to put in your email to receive the documentation and that made me a bit wary.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Can I just ask, is this stronglifts a book or a pdf or what?
    I went to site once for stronglifts but it said to put in your email to receive the documentation and that made me a bit wary.

It's a website and an ebook. Yes, you went to the right one, it does feel very spammy. But it's a pretty legitimate program. Personally I prefer Starting Strength (a book). I'm a little biased as I feel SL5x5 is sort of a ripoff of SS (however they are so similar as to be virtually the same thing).

What you will get with SS that you won't get with SL is a great level of detail and background information as to the how's and why's of the program. You will also get an excellent reference on the major compound lifts and several assistance lifts.
  • HIITMe
    Options
    i didnt even know there was a book....I went to the youtube channel and download the iphone app
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    You're not lacking in strength, you are lacking in confidence. You are more than capable of squatting, deadlifting and benching the bar. I promise.