exercising without diet for weight loss

Options
12346»

Replies

• cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    As the song goes, it ain't never gonna, never gonna, never gonna happen. I can run 40+ miles a week and gain weight. You say you will eat 2000, or 2500, but if you don't watch it, it's crazy easy to eat waaaay over that. Esp if you're working out a ton, which makes you killer hungry. Doing both is so much easier.
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Just want to throw a spanner in the whole deficit idea, I am consistently in deficit, should be losing 1lb a week and am not, not starving myself either, I am not saying that if I exercised more it would be different, but people are individual and what works for one won't always work for everyone.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    The requirement for weight loss is an energy deficit. Whether or not you reduce your food intake, or increase your activity, or a combination of both --- as long as you create a prolonged energy deficit you will lose weight over time.

Tracking food is also not a necessity. It's a good idea for accuracy purposes but it's not a requirement.

I love how some people in this thread have turned this into false dilemma. "OP doesn't want to 'diet' therefore OP must eat exclusively junk food".

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excluding-the-middle.html

And whether or not you can successfully create an energy deficit without changes to diet is something you will have to find out on your own.
  • I was a lazy bum for like 8-10 months and didn't do a single workout and wasn't in shape enough to even walk half a mile without panting, and i didn't calorie count, i just cut fried food, red meat, and sweets. Lost 60 lb. Just use some self control. You can't counteract bad diet with exercise. Your body might be healthier that way but you won't lose weight.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    If I focus mainly on exercise but don't change diet too much can I lose body fat? For example, if you eat 2500 calories a day and you need 2000 a day to maintain, and burn 1000 calories at the gym every day, wouldn't that still be a 500 deficit and you'd lose a pound a week? I want to work on diet too but I just want to know if I would be wasting my time exercising so much if it wouldn't do anything.

You are describing a calorie restricted diet.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Trying to 'out train' a bad diet??.....sounds exhausting, unhealthy and not very sustainable.
    This^^.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Just want to throw a spanner in the whole deficit idea, I am consistently in deficit, should be losing 1lb a week and am not, not starving myself either, I am not saying that if I exercised more it would be different, but people are individual and what works for one won't always work for everyone.

Then quite simply you weren't at a deficit. Biochemistry and physics can't be ignored. Energy has to come from somewhere. If you are eating less energy than you are using, your body will pull energy from its reserves. Ideally fat cells, though if you eat at sufficient deficit and/or don't exercise enough then it will pull from muscle also. This is the only possibility. You literally cannot maintain an energy deficit and not lose weight, it's impossible. The energy to breathe, maintain heart function, think and perform daily activities HAS to come from somewhere.

There are several possible reasons that you are not maintaining a deficit despite what you believe. You may be underestimating what you consume. This can be caused by snacking that you don't record, underestimating serving size, or guessing wrong about equivalence of items to things in the database. You may be overestimating your exercise calories. There are items in the exercise database of MFP that simply make no sense. I've seen things like light yard work being worth hundreds of calories per hour. You may (though this is nowhere near as common as people seem to think) have a drug side effect or medical issue that causes your BMR to lower than it would normally be for a person of your size and physical condition.

Whatever the reason, if you are not losing weight you are not eating at a deficit. Period. The first law of thermodynamics cannot be ignored.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    you can't exercise your way out of a bad diet. period.
  • xLexa
    Options

Then quite simply you weren't at a deficit. Biochemistry and physics can't be ignored. Energy has to come from somewhere. If you are eating less energy than you are using, your body will pull energy from its reserves. Ideally fat cells, though if you eat at sufficient deficit and/or don't exercise enough then it will pull from muscle also. This is the only possibility. You literally cannot maintain an energy deficit and not lose weight, it's impossible. The energy to breathe, maintain heart function, think and perform daily activities HAS to come from somewhere.

There are several possible reasons that you are not maintaining a deficit despite what you believe. You may be underestimating what you consume. This can be caused by snacking that you don't record, underestimating serving size, or guessing wrong about equivalence of items to things in the database. You may be overestimating your exercise calories. There are items in the exercise database of MFP that simply make no sense. I've seen things like light yard work being worth hundreds of calories per hour. You may (though this is nowhere near as common as people seem to think) have a drug side effect or medical issue that causes your BMR to lower than it would normally be for a person of your size and physical condition.

Whatever the reason, if you are not losing weight you are not eating at a deficit. Period. The first law of thermodynamics cannot be ignored.

Quite frankly I am at a deficit and I am losing weight but not at the supposed 1lb a week mark :) Could there be underlying medical reasons? Perhaps. Those are things that I am working with with my doctor. HENCE the reason why I said everyone is an individual and what works for one does not work for all. :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Quite frankly I am at a deficit and I am losing weight but not at the supposed 1lb a week mark :) Could there be underlying medical reasons? Perhaps. Those are things that I am working with with my doctor. HENCE the reason why I said everyone is an individual and what works for one does not work for all. :)

You are not losing at a predicted pace because calorie intake and output, as well as your predicted TDEE, are all estimates. Not to mention TDEE is a moving target to begin with.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    You are not losing at a predicted pace because calorie intake and output, as well as your predicted TDEE, are all estimates. Not to mention TDEE is a moving target to begin with.
    Indeed!

Too many people just takes what MFP says as gospel, when it's a massive guestimate.

I do plan, when I've lost a bit again to go back to a 'maintenance' where I use my motoactv and MFP to VERY accurately track everything I do.
    Hopefully from this I should get an idea that for the average exercise I do and average food I eat - say I maintain when have a figure burnt of 2680 calories and calories in of 2430 calories, so I know I have to apply -250 to the figures I have to maintain.
    Of course, there's still many factors on that, but it would give me a much better starting point at least.
  • xLexa
    Options

this is something that makes sense. According to the "rules" I should be, but am not, I have HRM, I weigh everything, so there is obviously an error in my estimated tdee, if I understand correctly. Again another reason why I say everyone is different. It is frustrating, for sure.

Anyhoo this thread isn't about me :P I kinda sidetraked a bit. Bottom line is either ppl give up or they don't and right now I'm not prepared for the alternative of keeping trying. Just hoping to see better results soon :) Thanks to you both who have taken the time to address my remarks,

Oh and I didnt take my numbers from MFP I used some of the tools some of you might even have recommended yourselves :O
  • AzaleaNicole38
    AzaleaNicole38 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think a combination of diet and exercise is always the best option for healthy weight loss.

I can personally tell you that I lost almost 30 pounds by exercising and eating absolute garbage on a daily basis. When I say exercise, I mean 4 hrs/day for 5 or 6 days. When I say eat garbage, I mean fast food every if not every other day.
    To be honest, I didn't feel that unhealthy, although I have no idea what was going on inside my body.

On the flip side, I can also tell you once I stopped exercising, I put all the weight back on. Healthy meal or not.
    Now, eating healthily and exercising moderately, I feel better than ever, even though weight loss is slow.

Everyone's body is different, so no one can really say what will or will not work for you. But if your goal is to not only lose weight, but keep it off while also living a healthier lifestyle, I say diet and exercise is the best way to go.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Why not?
  • cdpark617
    cdpark617 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    It is possible, bad diet can me so many things. Maybe you can't, but to think what you experience is the same for everyone is a bit ignorant.
  • Emile_Jarreau
    Emile_Jarreau Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Our diet is THE whole ball game. You can do far less, look and feel much better with less effort in the gym and more in the kitchen. Truth.

Emile Jarreau,aka, Mr. Fat Loss
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Our diet is THE whole ball game. You can do far less, look and feel much better with less effort in the gym and more in the kitchen. Truth.

Emile Jarreau,aka, Mr. Fat Loss
    It depends what 'ball game' you are playing :).
    The game I play, I want to be physically fit for too!
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    It is possible, bad diet can me so many things. Maybe you can't, but to think what you experience is the same for everyone is a bit ignorant.
    I mean technically you CAN eat crap & still lose weight if you're tracking it & making sure that the calories you do burn are really making up for your intake.

But I guess it just doesn't seem logical to a lot of us why someone would go through all that extra work & fatigue just so you can still eat nonstop junk food. And this is the biggest problem with that: Tons of people I know say stuff like "yeah I used to eat whatever I wanted when I was an athlete, once I stopped I started gaining weight!" What does the person do once they get tired of the heavy workouts, just stop eating so much junk suddenly? It's usually not that easy for people, especially once they've gotten used to eating that way.