Is your motivation weak?

Sometimes life happens and working out is your last priority. Why should you invest in your health? Well because you owe it to yourself and everyone that you care about, thats why!

Lets get fit!!

Replies

• peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Sometimes life happens and working out is your last priority. Why should you invest in your health? Well because you owe it to yourself and everyone that you care about, thats why!

Lets get fit!!
    the last week i've been so motivated and i've only been on this diet for a week.
    i somehow lost 4lbs over the holidays without even trying. i ate super unhealthy, didn't track my food, drank lots of alcohol. lots of sweets aswell. and i weighed myself and lost 4lbs!
    so i figured 4lbs is a good kick start to my new lifestyle.

well this week i did cardio 4 days in a row, ate 1700 cals and cut out alcohol and fast food.
    and i gained a pound :(

so basically my body is telling me eat whatever you want, eat unhealthy and don't exercise and you'll lose weight.
    but if you eat healthy and exercise, i'll make you gain weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    So by investing in myself, do you mean I should buy all the Beachbody products? Is that my way to succeed?
  • slboling
    slboling Posts: 117 Member

Lets get fit!!

Well said!!
  • slboling
    slboling Posts: 117 Member
    So by investing in myself, do you mean I should buy all the Beachbody products? Is that my way to succeed?

Beachbody products are wonderful. I use Power 90. I also have Jillian Michaels DVD's and others. But I lace up my shoes most days and just hit the park and walk/jog which doesn't take any investment, but my time. There are lots of ways to spend money to lose weight. All of which will help. You just need to find what fits you and works. Good luck.
  • psuLemon

Beachbody products are wonderful. I use Power 90. I also have Jillian Michaels DVD's and others. But I lace up my shoes most days and just hit the park and walk/jog which doesn't take any investment, but my time. There are lots of ways to spend money to lose weight. All of which will help. You just need to find what fits you and works. Good luck.

OH i know.. but he insinuations are to buy them from him. It's a creative way to advertises.

Btw I own: chalean extreme, P90X, P90X2, Insanity, Les Mills Combat, Body beat and Tapout XT. I know all about them.
  • Sherman7057
    Sherman7057 Posts: 88 Member

Lets get fit!!
    the last week i've been so motivated and i've only been on this diet for a week.
    i somehow lost 4lbs over the holidays without even trying. i ate super unhealthy, didn't track my food, drank lots of alcohol. lots of sweets aswell. and i weighed myself and lost 4lbs!

well this week i did cardio 4 days in a row, ate 1700 cals and cut out alcohol and fast food.

so basically my body is telling me eat whatever you want, eat unhealthy and don't exercise and you'll lose weight.

My guess is that the alcohol dehydrated your body and you lost water weight!
  • Sherman7057

Amazing weight loss brother!! Thank you for your support!
  • psuLemon

Lets get fit!!

The more likely scenario is your body is telling you to eat more. Under eating leads to hormones which can prevent weight loss. This is very common in those who eat 1200-1500 calories and exercise a ton. Also, when you "refeed" your system, it allows your muscles to repair, which in turn will eliminate the amount of water stored in order to repair muscles. This is also why many of us suggest moderate deficits (1/2 - 1 lb per week and eating back at least 50% of your exercise calories) instead of aggressive deficits (2lb per week and not eating back exercise calories).
  • daveshock
    daveshock Posts: 6 Member
    i agree

Lets get fit!!

My guess is that the alcohol dehydrated your body and you lost water weight!
  • xxCelestexx
    xxCelestexx Posts: 57 Member
    I find all of the excuses I can. I need to be more motivated to move and stay focused.
  • sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    I am 61 and very motivated by the health issues I see popping up all around me in my peer group. Diabetes is a big one. I have friends who now have difficulty walking because they've gained so much weight their joints are getting painful. Friends with kidney issues from diabetes, or heart issues from obesity.

I want a long and healthy life. At 61 I have yoyo'd my weight up and down my entire life. I feel like this is finally the year I will get to a "normal" weight, and then be able to stay there. At this age.

My wish is that everyone else wakes up at a younger age than I did!

We can do this.

/eta backstory: I have a stepmother who died last year at 85. Her entire life she battled alcoholism. Sometimes successfully, mostly not. It was just tragic that at the end of her life, she had failed to win her battle against her personal dragon. It motivates me, as my food addiction is my personal dragon. I don't want to end my days having lost my biggest battle like she did. I want to end my days at a healthy weight, and victorious.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member

Lets get fit!!

not to be rude but, you've only been doing it for a week. please don't make grand assumptions based on week's worth of data.

muscles swell + retain water when you exercise them, especially when you're a new exerciser.

and alcohol is a diuretic, flushes you out.

i have to re-find my motivation every few months. i get lazy and don't see the point. that's why i cruise fitness & health food websites, right around the time i really need motivation, i find it.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Why should you invest in your health? Well because you owe it to yourself and everyone that you care about, thats why!

Nah, not so much. I just really want to look good naked. That's all the motivation I need.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Sometimes my motivation wanes. For practicality's sake, I have occasionally bumped back a workout to a later time or to the next day. (There's no point forcing a workout if it will make me late for work or cause me to get to sleep too late.)

But any time I wonder why I'm exercising, all I need to do is look in the mirror and see 15 inches of scars on my torso and I remember that I can ill afford to not take care of myself.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Motivation is stupid and overrated. :indifferent:
  • My sense of responsabilty exceeds my motivation. Motivation is overrated.
  • trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member

Funny. I don't see anything mentioned about BB products here. Hrm.
  • Sherman7057

Funny. I don't see anything mentioned about BB products here. Hrm.
    Thank you Trysh! :)
  • Sherman7057
    I had an exceptional work out this morning, fueled by the support! Thank you