shin splints

becky23
becky23 Posts: 60
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Anyone had shin splints on the inside of their shins? I do! What can I do to make them go away?

I'm a runner, I run maybe 2 days a week right now, I also strength triain 3 days a week, on other days I do circuits, kickboxing, step.

I work continuously on my feet for at least 8 hours a day in a cafe.

I ice them whenever I am just sitting relaxing (once or twice a day)

What else can I do they are killing me!!

Replies

• LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    I've got them this week too from transitioning from the treadmill to running outside on concrete too quickly.

I read, and my bf confirmed, that you should sit on the couch (or in a chair with most of your legs supported) and flex your feet up. Hold them there for a couple minutes and then let go. Do this 3-4 times every day. Also, don't push through the pain -- rest them whenever possible. For me, tonight was a run night for me but I rode my bike instead. My shins started hurting a lot on Tuesday and they're already feeling better with the stretching/strengthening exercises and rest (and by rest I mean low/no-impact cardio instead of walking/running).
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    I've got them this week too from transitioning from the treadmill to running outside on concrete too quickly.

I read, and my bf confirmed, that you should sit on the couch (or in a chair with most of your legs supported) and flex your feet up. Hold them there for a couple minutes and then let go. Do this 3-4 times every day. Also, don't push through the pain -- rest them whenever possible. For me, tonight was a run night for me but I rode my bike instead. My shins started hurting a lot on Tuesday and they're already feeling better with the stretching/strengthening exercises and rest (and by rest I mean low/no-impact cardio instead of walking/running).
    That's a great way to stretch them out.

One reason why you might be getting them in the first place, besides not stretching well, are your shoes and/or arch supports. The more you run, the more often you'll have to change out your shoes because, like tires, the treads wear out and lose cusion and support. Try a new pair of shoes, specifically for running and make sure if you have low/no arches to get some kind of arch support shoe insert. It'll feel really weird at first, but trust me, it pays dividends in the long run!
  • Rio98
    Rio98 Posts: 3
    Your foot might pronate in a bit much, which causes stress on your ligaments when you exercise - if you can, go see a podiatrist about orthotics.

I used to get shin splints so bad I couldnt maintain anything but a slow stroll.
    Went to the podiatrist - got proper orthotics (they took a mould of my foot and made up shoe inserts specific to my foot) which give my foot arch support - and now dont get shin splints at all.

It is also important to get fresh sneakers/joggers every 6 months - so they stay fresh for good impact/shock absorbtion - be kind to your joints.

You can get running shoes with arch support in them - Athlete's foot have that machine thingy which can advise you if you pronate or suppinate - and they do have runners that offer a degree of support. Try this site for a bit of a read: http://www.epodiatry.com/running-shoes.htm

But if you can afford it - best fix is to go see a podiatrist.

Wearing things that correct your posture will be uncomfortable at first - so be patient when you start in orthotics or any posture correcting shoe for the first time.

Good luck
  • aflaherty
    aflaherty Posts: 22 Member
    i got these a lot in college playing basketball running on the wood floor.

use a step or curb and put your toes on it with your heels and middle part of your foot hanging off of it. use your toes to push down and raise your heels up. this isn't an instant cure, but it strengthens those muscles so that they pain goes away and won't come back. sometimes i do them randomly when i feel them coming on again. it really helps and is a free way to do it!
  • jacksonlady01
    jacksonlady01 Posts: 11 Member
    I am also on a workout break this week with a really bad shin splint. They are painful even when sitting! I am going to see a podiatrist ASAP to check on my feet and shoes.

I am really sad because next weekend was supposed to be my first 5K and now I don't know if I can do it because of the pain. I tried pushing through it for a while, but it just got too bad!
  • becky23
    That doesn't all sound right. I wear orthotics made for me because of my planters fasciitis already.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    That doesn't all sound right. I wear orthotics made for me because of my planters fasciitis already.

Well shin splints are really just a symptom of a bigger problem. Could be overtraining, could be changing the running surface, could be bad shoes, could be rolling your foot, could be stress fractures, and the list goes on.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    I had terrible shin splints on the inside of my leg. The pain was so bad I limped for 3 weeks after a 4 mile run almost a year ago. I thought I had a stress fracture but after extensive diagnosis, it turns out I had tendonitis in my shin. I have taken almost a year off from running. I did push through that pain and didn't take care of myself. Dumb mistaken, lesson learned. I had to do physical therapy to be able to walk without pain.

One of the biggest things the doctors and physical therapists told me was that I needed to change up my running surface. I constantly ran on concrete sidewalks and that is a killer on your shins. If we go for a group run I sometimes run in the road rather than the sidewalk because I can actually feel the difference of the running surface on my legs.

Rest it up, stretch, ice and then take it slow. Don't push through the pain or you will just injure yourself further and have to stop running altogether. It really stinks because I am back to square one right now and I hate it.
  • becky23
    Thanks Sherry,

I will take your advice for sure!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    For pain management you can tightly wrap your leg with an ACE bandage, and tape it down. Put an ice pack on top then as well. It helps. I recommend doing everything everyone else has said already too.
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    I would recommend the book Chi Running. Pain with running is usually due to some issues with your form. The author explains some of it in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkUqkdPQHis . About two minutes in, he talks about the cause of shin splints.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    I would recommend the book Chi Running. Pain with running is usually due to some issues with your form. The author explains some of it in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkUqkdPQHis . About two minutes in, he talks about the cause of shin splints.

I agree with this. ChiRunning has helped me a lot.
  • jacksonlady01
    jacksonlady01 Posts: 11 Member
    I have been seeing an acupuncturist for my shin splints for about three weeks and it has worked wonders! I highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for a way to help with theirs.
This discussion has been closed.