The best workout shoes?

I am just starting to get into my exercise routine and I am in DESPERATE need of a new pair of shoes but I have no idea what the best shoes are? I am intending to do various cardio and strength exercises, so I need something that is versatile. Any suggestions?

Replies

• djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    You could try cross trainers. I have also found if you go to a brand shoe store (as opposed to a large shoe store that carries all brands) the employees tend to know more about the shoes and can help you. I went to the Nike factory store recently and ended up with "walking" shoes but I'm sure it will do the job for everything else I do. I'm not a runner and that is the only thing I think of that you might want something more specific.
  • bump?
  • Lexi507
    Lexi507 Posts: 79 Member
    I just got a pair of Ascics because I was having trouble with lunges - basically kept walking out of the shoe on the back foot which made lunges really challenging to do. I would go to a store with a lot of choices and try them on and see how they feel with some of the moves you think you are going to do. That's how I ended up with the Ascics - they stayed on my feet best. Of course, I felt like an idiot doing lunges in Sports Authority, but it worked.
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    I LOVE the Reebok Realflex!!
  • JenNuma
    JenNuma Posts: 52 Member
    The best work out shoes??? The best shoes, are the ones that fit You! Go to a store that is known for fitting shoes, not a self serve store. With the help of a qualified sales person, I still tried on at least 12 pairs of shoes. I'm very happy with my shoes. Not a one of my friends has this shoe, but the fit is right for me. If you plan on spending lots of time in these shoes, you will be happy if your feet are happy! Good Luck!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    I am just starting to get into my exercise routine and I am in DESPERATE need of a new pair of shoes but I have no idea what the best shoes are? I am intending to do various cardio and strength exercises, so I need something that is versatile. Any suggestions?

Go to a running or proper (not fashion) sports shop and ask for a gait analysis, you may be video'd on a treadmill and/ or asked to do exercises in the store and the service should be free. Ideally you would have different footwear for running and for aerobics due to lateral movement requiring a totally different type of support to forward movement. Different brands suit different feet sizes, shapes and gaits - some people's feet roll in and some roll out when they walk or run, the right shoes correct that and protect your joints.

Nike are generally considered to be overpriced for what you get. My narrow feet suit Mizuno for running shoes but I injured myself in a pair of Sauconys that were wrongly fitted and sold to me.