What defines a plateau???

Options
I would think it would be based on the personal experience of knowing your body. A plateau for me, for example is about 6 weeks with no change. I have gone as long as two months without change, but stayed consistent and started losing again.

Just wondering what the general consensus is. There seems to be an outbreak of "I haven't lost a pound in two days!!!" threads lately and maybe it would help help some of these people who think they are stuck if some of us who have been at this longer post how long we typically get stuck.

For me, I don't start worrying about changing anything for at least 6 to 8 weeks.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    2 Months of basically remaining the same weight and seeing no inches lost or rep increases. So if you keep gaining and losing the same 4 lbs for 2 months.. you maybe in a plateau.

1 week doesn't mean you hit a plateau..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
    Options
    I would think it would be based on the personal experience of knowing your body. A plateau for me, for example is about 6 weeks with no change. I have gone as long as two months without change, but stayed consistent and started losing again.

Just wondering what the general consensus is. There seems to be an outbreak of "I haven't lost a pound in two days!!!" threads lately and maybe it would help help some of these people who think they are stuck if some of us who have been at this longer post how long we typically get stuck.

For me, I don't start worrying about changing anything for at least 6 to 8 weeks.
    That's a plateau. If under 6 weeks, then it's a stall.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sparkie51
    sparkie51 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have been the same number on the scale since February but my clothes show the difference,my waist is more defined as well as my abs.LOL at my age I have abs,and I know I am healthier and looking good. I want that scale to move but I deal with it. I am thinking of getting it out of my life for awhile. Don't just go by the number,look at the overall picture. Good luck!
  • LKaye3626
    LKaye3626 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For advice to overcome plateaus join this group today Star moves .

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/11189-star-moves-plateau-breakers