Eat more weigh less? Help..

Options
Hi there,

Has anyone had success with eating more food than they used too?

I have under-eaten for many years and as a result have gained some very stubborn weight despite my "healthy" eating habits and regular exercise. I don't drink soda, or eat white carbohydrates etc, although I do have a bit of a chocolate tooth. Over the years I have tried to cut out more food in order to lose the weight, however this only seemed to fuel the fire.

As of this year, I have made it my goal to try and reach the 1200 calorie mark each day by eating enough healthy food. I am still concerned about an initial weight gain before my body adjusts to the new volume.

Can anyone offer any advice on this? I would really appreciate any thoughts anyone has or even just some support :)

Replies

• cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Small increases will probably be your best bet. Don't jump straight from 1000 to 1800 calories (or whatever your numbers are). Increase slightly, give it a week or two, and repeat. Just log and track it.
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    I have had great success with eating more and weighing less. I eat around 2k+ a day and I lose about 1 lbs a week.

There is also a MFP group eat more to weigh less you should take a look at all the info they have and the website by the same people. eatmoretoweighless.com

Eating more is the best thing you can you do for your body.
  • capnlizard
    capnlizard Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem; a few years ago I lost a significant amount of weight, but I was only eating 1200 calories a day and then would go to the gym and spend an hour on the elliptical (I think that my average net calorie count was like 200 calories a day....no WAY that is healthy!). Eventually, I gained back all of the weight, plus an additional ten pounds, and was worse off than when I had started. I decided right before Christmas this year that, after the holidays were over, I would place my focus more on my health than my appearance and pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I would most likely have a much longer stretch of time in losing the weight this time, since I planned on doing it right instead of just doing it fast. My goal now is to have a minimum of 1200 net calories, including after I work out, which is difficult for me to wrap my brain around. I didn't start consistently working out until late last week, so it was fairly easy for me to meet my 1200 goal then, but this week was hard...however, I have lost about a pound to a pound and a half this week, so it is apparently working. Hang in there!
  • Tinytinks2
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I feel a lot more comfortable now. I am going to stick with my new eating plan for a few weeks and see how things go. I already have a lot more energy and feel better which can only be a good sign. :)