Chicken recipes

Options
2»

Replies

• BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Prepare yourself for the best chicken recipe EVAR! You can use it in tacos, burritos, salad, alone, or whatever.

Costa Vida Chicken

* 1 (16 oz.) bottle zesty Italian dressing (any brand will do, really)
    * 1 Tbsp chili powder
    * 1 Tbsp cumin
    * 3 cloves garlic, minced
    * 5 skinless, boneless chicken breast

Cook all together in a crock pot on low for 4 hours, shred meat and cook 1 additional hour. This recipe makes a lot, so you can freeze the leftovers for another meal.

This is my favorite slow cooker recipe. Easy and tasty. This beats that damn chicken-and-a-jar-of-salsa recipe hands down.
  • kuuipo40108
    kuuipo40108 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just checked out skinnytaste.com. This site is great! Gives variety, different flavors and low in calories!
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I like this recipe: http://hilahcooking.com/spatchcock-chicken/

If you'd rather not cook a whole chicken, you can just use the spice rub on whatever pieces of chicken you like. It also goes well with seafood and vegetables.

Really though, no one says you HAVE to eat chicken if you honestly don't like it.

Edit: forgot to mention, you could reduce the amount of salt if you're watching your sodium, or reduce/omit the cayenne if you don't want it to be so spicy, etc.

You had me at spatchcock.
  • bfancher30
    Options
    When I make chicken I use boneless skinless breasts, I put on some garlic and parsley flakes, then in a pan I put about an inch of water and cook till chicken is done. It keeps the chicken moist and tasting good.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Just made this the other night--like chicken pot pie but without the pie : )

Chicken a la King
    Serves 6 Approx. 230 calories per serving, 20g protein, 3g fiber, 8g fat
    • 3 cups chicken broth
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 2 sprigs fresh thyme
    • 1 cup diced carrots (about 2 carrots)
    • 4 stalks celery, diced
    • 2 12oz bone-in, skinless chicken breasts
    • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil,
    • 2 tablespoons butter
    • 1/2 pound small white mushrooms, sliced
    • 1/2 small white onion, chopped
    • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    • 3 tablespoons chopped pimentos
    • 1 cup frozen (or canned ) green peas
    • 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf or curly parsley
    In a medium sauce pan, bring 3 cups chicken broth, bay leaf, thyme, celery and carrots to a boil. Add chicken and gently poach them in simmering broth for 10-15 minutes. Remove chicken and continue to cook carrots and celery until tender. Taste for seasoning—add salt and pepper as needed. Strain broth, discarding thyme and bay leaf but reserving carrots and celery.
    When chicken has cooled, remove bone and dice into bite size pieces.
    Preheat a second skillet over medium heat. Add oil and 1 tbsp. butter. Sautee mushrooms and onion and cook until onion is tender and mushrooms are browned. Season with salt and pepper. Add remaining tbsp. butter, then add flour and cook another minute.
    Add broth to flour, mushroom and onion mixture a ½ cup at a time until the mixture is your desired consistency. You can add a tablespoon or two of cream to add richness, if desired.
    Add pimentos and peas to the sauce. Add chicken and heat through. Taste to adjust seasoning.
    Serve over biscuits, rice or noodles. Ganish with fresh parsley.

ETA: I use no salt added chicken broth--I use a total of 1/2 tsp low-soduim salt and it equals about 450mg sodium per serving.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    The whole house loves chicken piccata (in fact I'm making it tonight!)

6 ounces whole-wheat angel hair pasta
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour, divided
    2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    4 chicken cutlets, (3/4-1 pound total), trimmed
    3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    3 large cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 cup white wine
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
    2 teaspoons butter

Preparation

1. Whisk 5 teaspoons flour and broth in a small bowl until smooth. Place the remaining flour in a shallow dish. Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and dredge both sides in the flour. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned and no longer pink in the middle, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; cover and keep warm. Also boil the water for pasta.
    2. Start the pasta cooking.
    2.Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and wine to the pan and cook until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the reserved broth-flour mixture, lemon juice and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
    4.Stir in parsley, capers, and butter. Toss the pasta in the pan with the remaining sauce. Serve the pasta topped with the chicken and the reserved sauce.

Per serving: 397 calories; 9 g fat ( 3 g sat , 3 g mono ); 54 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 5 g fiber; 544 mg sodium; 609 mg potassium.

I don't even eat the pasta, I make it for the kids so without it it is much lower.
  • tashatashae
    tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Bump