Eat some Fish and Protect your Kidneys Especially if You're

Options
It’s very well known and established that eating wild caught fish is very good for you. There is a specific health benefit to eating fish for those of us with diabetes that you may not know about.

When a persons kidneys are damaged, abnormally high amounts of protein are found in the urine. High urine protein levels are one of the first signs of kidney disease. Diabetes is the leading cause of end stage kidney disease.

Diabetics Self Management published a study that consisted of over 20,000 people; 500 of whom are diabetics. The individuals who ate less than one serving of fish per week are four times likelier (not 4% but 400% likelier) to have high urine protein levels than those who ate fish regularly.

Eating fish of any kind, fried or un fried, appears to have a protective effect on the kidneys of people with diabetes. Keep in mind that fried and un fried only speaks to the protective affect it has on the kidneys it does not take in account for extra calories and so on so eat more grilled and baked fish than breaded and fried fish for more well rounded TOTAL health benefits. This holds true for both diabetic and non diabetic people.

Go getcha some wild caught fish and enjoy it! I have several recipes for fish on my food for pleasure blog page: http://foodforpleasure.blogspot.com/

Replies

• innerhottie
    innerhottie Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I wonder if this is why my mom (who is diabetic) CRAVES fish (specifically tuna) like a pregnant person???
    She literally has to have fish about 3 times a week.
  • metalpalace
    metalpalace Posts: 576
    Options
    The craving is most likely just a coincidence but thank god she does like fish since it's soooo incredibly for her as a diabetic :) Does she know it's benefits as a diabetic? Feel free to share this with her she'd probably feel really good knowing she innately enjoys something that is benefiting her :)