turkey bacon?

Options
So I really enjoy eating bacon and obviously its not a great choice for a variety of health reasons. I've heard that switching to turkey bacon is a good option but the one time I tried that it was awful! My bf basically threw a tantrum because it was so yucky. I want to try eating turkey bacon again but was wondering what brand you recommend that tastes the best? I don't want to keep wasting my money on something I won't like or that isn't healthier. Any other tips about healthy bacon eating practices? Thanks!

Replies

• sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon is actually cardboard. Just eat bacon.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    We use Aldi turkey bacon because i an microwave it while hubby's making omlets in the morning. it doesnt taste as good as real bacon but i have have 2 pieces for like 30 calories each and once your used to it, its pretty good. The cats and the ferrets love it too.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes is the best I've tasted so far & it does'nt have a lot of junk in it like nitrate's. Plus it doesn't have that jerky/fruit leather texture.

As for real bacon I eat Nature's Promise Brand. Nice flavor w/o the nitrate's but can be a lil greasy in which I sop up w/a paper towel :wink:
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I like real bacon and bacon-style turkey. Butterball has a lower sodium one if you can get that.
    That's the only reason I sub it sometimes...
  • dnhardy
    dnhardy Posts: 59
    Options
    The thing I've learned with Turkey bacon is you need to cook it longer than you think. If its still a little flimsy its not good at all... but if it has the crispier texture of real bacon then I can't tell that huge of a difference.

ETA: I use Oscar Meyer brand mainly
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I used to eat butterball turkey bacon, it was good if you consider turkey bacon good! I decided that nothing can compare to a thick double smoked bacon slice so I switched back :)
  • mjames38
    Options
    I like Butterball; I eat it almost every morning.
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to pork, so turkey bacon it is for me.
    I prefer Butterball or Jennie-O brands. I agree that you need to cook it longer to get the crispiness, otherwise it's not so good.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I had turkey bacon for the first time on New Years Day and it was pretty yummy! I think it was honey smoked or something along those lines.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Depending on your goals, I wouldn't say a slice of bacon is bad for you, if it's a treat, eaten occasionally.

I think what you should do is look at the way you're using bacon and don't try to find a "fake bacon" substitute. Just eat something else instead. Like, do you put it in omelets? Maybe you can try avocado or tempeh. On a salad? Try nuts instead maybe for crunch. But trying to find something that looks and acts and tastes EXACTLY like bacon is kind of futile.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    A good center cut of bacon is actually an excellent source of protein. Just watch the sodium. And don't buy cheap stuff.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I like real bacon and bacon-style turkey. Butterball has a lower sodium one if you can get that.
    That's the only reason I sub it sometimes...

I like the butter ball the best, but I will try the TJ's also as I shop there a lot.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I stick with the real stuff to get the real taste. But I do 'trick' myself into feeling like I am having more than I really am. As soon as I buy the bacon, I slice it all into half or thirds, depending. I then package the bacon into individual servings and freeze so that they are already portion controlled. Regardless, I cook it extra crispy and I feel like I am getting a ton of bacon (b/c I cut it) when really I am only having 2-4 full slices - depending on how much I decide to have.

Works for me - thought I would share. :)
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the advice! I'll look at trader joe's and butterball brands. I've heard center-cut regular bacon is a good alternative as well. Moderation is key so I'm going to just keep doing my best to less of it in general. =D
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    While the term "turkey bacon" is a clear oxymoron...it's actually not that bad.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I stick with the real stuff to get the real taste. But I do 'trick' myself into feeling like I am having more than I really am. As soon as I buy the bacon, I slice it all into half or thirds, depending. I then package the bacon into individual servings and freeze so that they are already portion controlled. Regardless, I cook it extra crispy and I feel like I am getting a ton of bacon (b/c I cut it) when really I am only having 2-4 full slices - depending on how much I decide to have.

Works for me - thought I would share. :)

I love that idea!! I'll definetely do that because I really like my sunday morning pile of bacon and smaller peices would be a good way to keep that but not wreck my healthy eating plan completely
  • dtf88
    dtf88 Posts: 53
    Options
    Make sure you got the crisp game on lock, proper bacon crisp strength can make or break any type of bacon whether its turkey or the real thing!!! Careful not to burn it though, haven't had turkey bacon in awhile but all i have tried have been good whenever I've achieved strong crisp levels!!! Microwave longer than the directions say!!
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I do oscar mayer too, or the great value at walmart isn't too bad too. The Jenni-O is horrible (my opinion)
  • Howl2013
    Howl2013 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Never been a big fan. I get center cut bacon. It's only slightly less fat content, but a good deal less grease when cooked. Though pricier.