This can't be right: Wii Just Dance

Options

Replies

• alimarie53
    alimarie53 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    YES! The calories that you burn playing Just Dance are real! I track them in my exercise log whenever I play. I got it for my daughters (...okay maybe for me too) and we all love it! I can definitely tell I get a small cardio workout whenever I play because I build up a good sweat.

Extra free calories! Yayyy!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Just Dance is pretty intense.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I do Wii Just Dance 2, 3, and Michael Jackson Experience and they really do give you a workout. I sweat big time and work hard at it. I log it as Circuit Training. Who says that you cannot have that much fun and burn tons of calories at the same time??

I also get my 2 kids involved and we try to outscore each other. Its so fun.
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I just got this for christmas and i cant wait to try it!!
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i have worked up a sweat playing this game so i dont doubt it at all. hmmm, maybe i should steal my wii back from my mom.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I do it everyday for fun and to supplement my other workout. I totally got 5 stars on Call Me Maybe. Don't judge me. :-)
  • ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I got Just Dance 4 for Christmas and I LOVE it!!! It's a two in one dvd and you can play Just Sweat 4, which is the workout segments. In a 50 minute session I burn 600 plus calories!! This is all I have been wanting to do lately because it doesn't feel like I'm working out and I find this better for me!
  • ketchup38
    ketchup38 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    So many of us have been wired to think that good exercise equates to pain and non-enjoyment, that we find it hard to believe that we can have so much fun and burn so many calories at the same time. I remember the 1st time I did a full class at 55mins and burned 590 cals. I was sweating buckets but still couldn't believe my eyes when I saw my hrm reading.......Until the pounds starting falling off again.
    Just to echo everyone else, I'd say definitely trust your HRM. On my Zumba Fitness Core I burn over 600cals easily in an hour based on my hrm calculations. Zumba Fitness Core was such a godsend after Xmas. Phew!
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do the Just Sweat portion of Just Dance and it is SO much fun and such a great calorie burn. I do it with my 5 year old and we have a great time!

I was also astounded when I saw how many calories I was burning for all the fun I was having :)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I should wear my HRM when I play Diablo 3 in hardcore mode. When I get swarmed by a giant mob with elites I tend to panic. I'm sure my heart rate is up there in the 6000's ~

Really? I thought the calorie burn was from how hard you slam your keyboard when the server lags out on you and causes your character an instant death.

*whimpers and knocks on wood* This has not happened yet... but I guarantee my neck will be "toned" from all the headbashing if it does.
  • heidi10537
    heidi10537 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use Jenny McCarthy You Shape, its a fabulous workout. Really all I do at this point. No room for a home gym, so this I can use in the living room. Tried Zumba, great workout, but need more space. It is amazing that a game can actually be a workout too.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I just bought myself a Just Dance game for Christmas because I thought it could be a fun workout!

Glad to see it does burn a good amount of cals, I have a BMF so I will see how my burn goes!! :)
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Just throwing more anecdotal evidence in here. My husband bought me a kinect for Christmas and we've been playing dance central. First night, I wore my HRM and we played for an hour and a half. Came out to just about 700 calories.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right to me!
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Definitely trust your HRM on this one. We have the Xbox/Kinect version and it's killer because it also tracks your foot movements. Over the Christmas break, the boys had me playing it just about every day and I was dying after 30 minutes.

Have you played (I've had) The Time of my LIfe yet? Hilarious. DH and I had my mother crying with laughter while the boys were completely mortified!

OMG, dying laughing. I made my oldest to do Wild Wild West. She was mortified at having to dance to an old, weird song.
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I would say sounds about right. I have put my HRM on as well a few times and had a pretty big burn (approx 300 for 30 minutes) I am pretty hardcore when it comes to this game and pretty competitive with my 8 & 11 year old daughter (sad, huh? lol) I say enjoy the game with your kiddos while getting a little burn on. :)
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    400 calories burned for 45 mins sounds about right. I play it a lot and include it in my workout routine, and I burn about 500 in an hour. Just because it's fun doesn't mean it's not exercise! :)
  • fredf2112
    fredf2112 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    . . . Anyway, just seems like a lot of calories burned for something that was so much fun.
    Who says burning calories can't be fun? :happy:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I've played with the wife and kiddos and I usually give up after a couple of songs. You can definitely work up a sweat!
  • I have been wondering if this game was any good. After reading the replies I cannot wait to try it!!