Cheat days??? do you have one or not?

Options

Replies

• rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    No. I think for me they would be extremely counter productive, and calling it a "cheat" day for would give it more power than it needs to. I just take into consideration what I want to splurge on, and plan accordingly.
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I do give myself permission to indulge at various times and in various ways, but I don't cheat.

I am considering, though, adding TDEE days/weeks to my program. When I first lost 80 pounds, I was really strict with myself and I know I tanked my metabolism. I had to eat around 300 fewer calories a day to get the rate that the numbers said I ought to be getting. I'm thinking that adding some TDEE recovery periods will help with this.

I'm trying to figure out how often to add TDEE days (one a week? one every two weeks?) to keep the metabolism ticking.

I'm also thinking that, when I get to various sub-goals, I'll add a TDEE week or two to recalibrate my metabolism.
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have "cheat" days, but I'm not really cheating. Instead of eating at a deficit, I eat at my maintenance calories. I try not to go above maintenance, but if its a birthday or something, I will eat cake and pizza and not worry about calories. Most "cheat" days though, I am able to eat what I want without going over maintenance.
  • aud085
    aud085 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I picked Saturday as my cheat day so I can really enjoy my family. I dont eat a weeks worth of calories, I just dont study every morsal I eat, and I work out Saturday mornings. Sundays I give myself off from routine exercise but usually end up doing something fun with my daughter that might count as exercise anyway.

I think especially for those who are really hard on themselves, you have to give yourself a break somewhere or life just becomes a big rut. If you are 300 lbs over weight then you probably shouldnt be thinking about a cheat day, but if your just average and need to take off 20lbs then I say it works.
  • aud085
    aud085 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do give myself permission to indulge at various times and in various ways, but I don't cheat.

I am considering, though, adding TDEE days/weeks to my program. When I first lost 80 pounds, I was really strict with myself and I know I tanked my metabolism. I had to eat around 300 fewer calories a day to get the rate that the numbers said I ought to be getting. I'm thinking that adding some TDEE recovery periods will help with this.

I'm trying to figure out how often to add TDEE days (one a week? one every two weeks?) to keep the metabolism ticking.

I'm also thinking that, when I get to various sub-goals, I'll add a TDEE week or two to recalibrate my metabolism.

What does TDEE stand for?
  • chickey920
    chickey920 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've allowed myself 1 or 2 cheat meals a week. Cutting everything would set me up for failure. But it keeps me focused on eating better because I look forward to the weekend when I can have a treat meal or 2 within reason. I don't want to go full blown crazy and blow tons of calories. But, I don't have to beat myself up for 2 slices of pizza or a burger.
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I don't have a set cheat day, but every once in a while I do go over by eating something I could have gone without. For the majority of the time, I stay within those calories, but do slip up some times. I don't know if I would want to have a set cheat day every week, because then I would feel like it it okay for me to go over or eat junk, when without calling it a cheat day i might have not gone over at all!
  • ReddRidingHood
    ReddRidingHood Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I mean. Nothing crazy overboard. Just when I make pancakes for the kids on Sunday morning, I would like to have one. ONE.
    And if we go to dinner I would like to order normally off the menu without looking like a freak. Right now I am on a 1200 calorie a day "diet" to get me where I would like to be, then I will increase my calorie intake to a maintenance amount.

I mainly ask myself if the food I am wanting is worth the amount of time working out that it takes to burn it off. A plate of Fettuccine Alfredo takes 2 1/2 hours of lunges to burn. Not worth it.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    If by cheat day you mean eat delicious food and things like ice cream or beer... then every day.

I hit my macros and cal goals with foods I enjoy, I bust my butt in the gym and tend to eat just a little under during the week so that I don't have to sweat the weekends if I go out with friends.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

What does TDEE stand for?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure. The calories your body burns just to keep your organs running and the blood flowing plus all the walking, talking, and anything you do beyond just being alive but in a coma.

Check out http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to get yours
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    No cheat days; I still eat crap once in a while but a lot less of it.

Instead of 3-4 brownies (old behavior) have 1.

Moderation appears to be working.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    A cheat day is what got me back to square one. Cheat Day turned into cheat weekend, turned into oh I don't need to go to the gym... to stopping tracking..

I feel better when I eat healthy, but if I want to eat something outside the norm, I work it into my calories and day.
  • Katy_G2013
    Katy_G2013 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days or cheat meals...if it fits into my calories for the day, I eat it. If I want something bad enough, I either make it fit into my day -- or I workout so that I can eat it and still reach my deficit. I do not deprive myself of things I want but I do not use an excuse to eat things that are not so healthy by calling it a 'cheat meal' either.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't have a planned cheat day, and the longer I live this lifestyle, the less sense it makes to me to have a day where you get to eat things you aren't "allowed" to eat the rest of the days of the week. In fact, I think it probably triggers binging more than it encourages healthy habits in people who have some form of eating disorder. And if you find yourself unable to stop eating cookies after one or two, so you just wait until your cheat day and have as many as you want, you have an eating disorder. Does having six cookies on Saturday make you less fat than having one cookie every day? Which one actually sounds like a healthier, saner, more sustainable approach to living your life?
  • aprilslusher
    aprilslusher Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal (that I log) once every 2-3 weeks.
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure
  • wendrz
    wendrz Posts: 118
    Options
    I do Friday Free day, which means i am free of calories counts. But in my head I am already logging the calories in all day....LOL Since i have been eating right and working out, I really don't head for the high calorie food like i used too. Not to say I won't, but it is a great feeling to know that I am feeling better about my eating!
  • linsey76A
    linsey76A Posts: 102
    Options
    I do have a cheat day but I have to eat healthy 2 out of the 3 meal and I try to cheat at the end of the day where I won't eat as much calories.

This is what I do also, my first 2 meals of the day are like any other day and my cheat is at the end, whatever meal i have been craving the most all week i have for dinner that night and allow a sweet treat. Just eat it like u would eat any other meal...correct portions. I make sure i exercise that day to help allow for it.
  • AzaleaGirl
    AzaleaGirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    In my vast dieting experience LOL, if I increase my calories on 1 or 2 days where my calorie count is 200-400 above my usual 1500 calories, I actually have a bigger loss over a 2 week period. I think there is some research out there supporting this.

This link below has some anecdotal evidence (and pertains to WW points), not scientific, but lots of people find that this works well for them.

http://www.wendie-plan.com/about.html

I subscribe to this is not a diet but a healthier lifestyle plan, I don't think it is realistic to be so ridged as to never eat more than x amt of calories every day (at least for me).
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Since I'm working under the premise of everything within moderation and my calorie goal, I don't do cheat days or cheat meals.

This.

As long as I'm with in my goals, I eat it. Since I make most
    of my meals, it's not too hard to achieve. I'll have a slice or
    two of pizza once in a while.