Feeling sick after blood draw? Help.

Options
Yesterday I did my 20 minute lower body exercise, was around 1400 calories for the day (only about 100 less than what MFP gives me).. I had went out food shopping as well (Just to give you an idea of what I did all day..) earlier that day I had 2 valves of blood drawn. I felt lethargic and sick all day, and I've NEVER had that problem before (I have thyroid issues so getting my blood drawn is nothing new to me). At one point I had gotten out of the car and felt mildly woozy and actually stumbled. That's so not like me, and I'm confused. My question is : Why did I feel that way, and what can I do next time to avoid that feeling? I feel much better today, but I can't help but wonder what on earth that was all about yesterday. Thanks for your help... Please don't be mean to me.

Replies

• baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Dont know why it happened, but I would suggest eating before any blood draw. Unless it is supposed to be fasted. I would also eat after.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    If they took two (test tubes) of blood, you wouldn't have any adverse effects from just that - that's a tiny amount of blood. Eat something afterwards next time. Maybe yu are undereating in general. If you are trying to lose weight, that could be the case.

How much are you eating a day?

Or...you could be pregnant....heh heh. Glad you asked?
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    I would call the blood clinic. If you don't feel well after today, make an appointment with your doctor.

After Your Blood Draw

Reactions to blood draws are rare and, if they occur, are usually mild. Side effects are similar to those experienced by some people following a blood donation. Experts generally recommend the following precautions:
    Wait at least 15 minutes before removing the bandage.
    If you feel dizzy or lightheaded, lie down immediately and elevate your legs until the feeling passes.
    In rare cases where bleeding occurs after removing the bandage, apply pressure to the site of the bleeding and raise your arm for 3 to 5 minutes.
    If bleeding or bruising occurs under the skin, apply a cold pack to the area periodically for the first 24 hours.
    For 12 hours after your blood draw:
    Avoid heavy lifting.
    Drink plenty of fluids and avoid strenuous exercise.
    Eat a healthy meal.

Contact your doctor if you:
    Continue to feel nauseated, lightheaded or dizzy after resting, eating or drinking.
    Feel pain or tingling down your arm, into your fingers.
    -Tricore.org
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    I had a yogurt right before just incase.. but I did not eat afterwards. I'll do that next time. It just seemed odd to me since out of the 8 years I've had my blood drawn frequently I don't recall experiencing that. Was wondering if maybe I was lacking something as I'm now eating healthy and what not. :happy:
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Usually when that happens it means your blood sugar is too low. There's a reason why when you give blood they make you eat cookies and drink juice afterwards. Next time, take something you can eat afterward and see if that helps.
  • Shas2228
    Options
    If they took two (test tubes) of blood, you wouldn't have any adverse effects from just that - that's a tiny amount of blood. Eat something afterwards next time. Maybe yu are undereating in general. If you are trying to lose weight, that could be the case.

HAHA No I'm not pregnant...... Better not be. LOL. I range between 1200 and 1500 a day. Just depends! :wink:
  • Shas2228
    Options
    I would call the blood clinic. If you don't feel well after today, make an appointment with your doctor.

After Your Blood Draw

Reactions to blood draws are rare and, if they occur, are usually mild. Side effects are similar to those experienced by some people following a blood donation. Experts generally recommend the following precautions:
    Wait at least 15 minutes before removing the bandage.
    If you feel dizzy or lightheaded, lie down immediately and elevate your legs until the feeling passes.
    In rare cases where bleeding occurs after removing the bandage, apply pressure to the site of the bleeding and raise your arm for 3 to 5 minutes.
    If bleeding or bruising occurs under the skin, apply a cold pack to the area periodically for the first 24 hours.
    For 12 hours after your blood draw:
    Avoid heavy lifting.
    Drink plenty of fluids and avoid strenuous exercise.
    Eat a healthy meal.

Contact your doctor if you:
    Continue to feel nauseated, lightheaded or dizzy after resting, eating or drinking.
    Feel pain or tingling down your arm, into your fingers.
    -Tricore.org

Awesome. Thank you!
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options

HAHA No I'm not pregnant...... Better not be. LOL. I range between 1200 and 1500 a day. Just depends! :wink:

1200-1500 a day is not enough I can almost guarantee it. Just an observation for overall health.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Iron? Electrolytes?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options

1200-1500 a day is not enough I can almost guarantee it. Just an observation for overall health.

^^This.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

The best thread here for figuring your BMR and TDEE: (calorie goals to lose weight)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804485-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    blood draw, nausea, coincidence.

there are thousands of other reasons you might feel ill.