Eating out with the BF

So, I was just wondering how fellow MFP's out there handle situations of eating out. My BF doesnt cook that much and is doing well for himself, so he always eats out and for me it has been straining my waistline and my bankfunds! I make dinner for us about once a week, but that also strains my budget to cook for two people...

How do all of you tell your loved ones (bf, spouse, gf...whatever) that you need to focus on your weightloss and not eat out as much and that you need their support in lots of ways?

Btw: Im an intern working on my masters so I am VERY poor lol

Replies

• melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    This came up between me and the hubby yesterday because his mom's birthday is Saturday so we're going out to lunch with his parents and we had already made plans to have "date night" tonight and go out for sushi, then he said he wanted to go out to breakfast on Saturday as well! I was like, "Whoa hold your horses!" I basically told him that I really would like to go out to eat with him three times this weekend but that I cannot do two places in a single day. I told him once per day on the weekends is going to be a new limit so I can still stay (mostly) on track during the weekends and not feel guilty.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    You can eat out and still eat healthy and lose weight. Research.

Order things grilled, ask for no sauces, skip the fries/rice and have steamed veggies as a side.

For example... Grilled chicken, with a salad (dressing on the side) and some steamed veggies is a really good meal with not a ton of calories.
  • Say exactly what you just said.

"you need to focus on your weightloss and not eat out as much and that you need their support "
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    If I didn't have the money, I'd say "I can't afford to eat out again. Let's get something to cook at home." Actually, I'd probably say the same thing if the calories of eating out were getting to be too much.

Or, you could eat before going out and then just order a small salad or a baked sweet potato and enjoy the company without spending too much money or calories.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    You can eat out and still eat healthy and lose weight. Research.

Order things grilled, ask for no sauces, skip the fries/rice and have steamed veggies as a side.

For example... Grilled chicken, with a salad (dressing on the side) and some steamed veggies is a really good meal with not a ton of calories.

This is 100% true, although eventually you will end up like me - not even wanting to go out to eat because it becomes such a headache to make sure you order the right stuff and then thinking to yourself, "Why did I even bother going out to eat? I'm just eating the same stuff I would at home."

Personally, I think you're better off (mentally) ordering something you really want and using a doggy bag to handle portion control.
  • jacie87
    jacie87 Posts: 46 Member
    Health notes: Eating out can be tough, BUT there is hope if you go out prepared! If you know you're going to eat out, look up nutrition facts online and plan ahead of time what you would like to order. This not only helps speed up the ordering process at the restaurant, but saves you calorically as well. Secondly, feel free to order the children's portions which are usually smaller OR ask that a to-go container be brought with your food so you can immediately split it into portions and only keep on your plate what you will eat that night.

Money notes: It's not fair for him to ask you to eat out all the time if you can't afford it. You need to have an open, honest conversation about it. Financial issues are a MAJOR problem in relationships... IF they are not addressed. This can be a great opportunity to have a simple conversation and work through a problem together as a couple. Who knows? Maybe you'll come out stronger and better at solving problems & communicating as a couple. :)
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Why are you paying to cook dinner for him?
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Why are you paying to cook dinner for him?

....because I invited him over for dinner?
  • AzaleaNicole38
    AzaleaNicole38 Posts: 102 Member
    This is going to sound super "gold diggerish," but if he is doing well for himself, shouldn't he offer to pay for both his and your dinner? Or the groceries when dining at home. I'm not saying it's a must every time, but every once in a while is ok I think.

There are times when I'm doing better than my boyfriend and I help him out immensely. He does the same for me when my finances are less than stellar.