The little things

Options
What are some of the "little" things that you do every day to get a bit more exercise in?? I have a few things that I do, but I am always looking for more ideas :)

I park my car at a parking garage that is a .6km walk away from my work, so I get that extra bit of a walk to and from each day. I also take the stairs as much as possible now (even though I HATE stairs) and I always walk up escalators instead of just standing. And I do squats or lunges while brushing my teeth.

Replies

• leelu
    leelu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am putting in a bit extra effort with housework and doing some odd jobs around the house double bennefit and reward from that
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    I have been using the DVR to record my favorite shows. I try to do some form of exercise as I watch the show - low impact aerobics by marching in place, side stepping, knee flex, forward kicks, etc - or strength ex by lifting light weights or doing various core strength ex for 60 sec at a time. I can get in 40 min of ex during a 60 min show if I fast forward through the commercials.
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    I should have added that I am addicted to books. In the past, I could spend all day in bed with a book... Since discovering books on tape esp in MP3 format at Audible.com, I can move while I get my book fix. It's easy to exercise, do house work, garden, etc while listening to books.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    This is a bit embarrassing but I try and add in squats, lunges and push ups were possible.
    For example:
    - I sometimes do push ups against the wall while I wait for my lunch to warm up in the microwave and when I am in the shower
    - I will sometimes lunge around the house instead of walking
    - I will sometimes do a few squats before I sit down on the toilet :blushing:
  • marjaskow
    marjaskow Posts: 81
    Options
    While watching TV, even if just during commercials have some light weights, water bottles or canned goods and use them to do bicep curls or shoulder raises. I have a balance ball I sit on watching tv. More comfy than you would think. During commercials I roll around doing crunches or pushups with my feet up on it, (easier than reg. ones) whatever I can think of. I drive my kids crazy sometimes but don't care.
  • youngs
    youngs Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    when you go to work or to the grocery store park as far way from the entrance that will make you walk more:wink: ..Pass up the front parking spots:noway: ..and go clear to the back your body will love ya in the long run for it:love:
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options

- I will sometimes do a few squats before I sit down on the toilet :blushing:

LOL Good idea!!!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes try to do ab exercises or other small strength training exercises like lifing up my legs at my desk at work.
  • SammiAnne11
    SammiAnne11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My laundry room is in the basement. I use the stairs as a step machine, for a minute or two when I am going down to get laundry or up to fold. Since we are afamily of 5, I can normally get at least 10 minutes in daily!
    And yes, my kids think I'm crazy going up, down, up, down....lol:laugh:
  • SammiAnne11
    SammiAnne11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I also challange my kids to jumping jacks, squats, running in place in the evening. They have fun, and I'm getting a litle extra burn! And Twister, my kids love twister!!!