weight watcher vs MFP

Options
2»

Replies

• trickycoolj
    trickycoolj Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've done WW@Work since October 2011, by Feb 2012 I had met my first goal of 10% lost (167 down to 150lbs). I was so proud of myself I stopped tracking but still went to meetings to weigh in. By September 2012 our awesome leader who was so real with us (she struggled with going to the local artisan ice cream shop just like we did) had some life changes and moved back to her hometown across the country. The new leader wasn't as inspiring and our @Work group was mostly gals in their 40s-60s with tweens and teens at home, they're totally sweet and I love meeting with them but my struggles as a single 28 year old gal hanging out with my friends that are mostly 30something boys really didn't match up, work got busy and I felt guilty leaving for such long lunch breaks for meetings and stopped in September of 2012 around 160lbs. Now they started a new session for the new year and I committed to signing back up and going, the workload issues have largely dissipated and I've communicated to my team in a staff meeting that that was my goal please schedule around it. I just looked at my graph and see how it steadily climbed and I had to get the size 10 pants back out.

Fortunately I found MFP around the same time as researching a fitbit and found a great friend of mine who has been having some amazing success was also on MFP! I almost feel like she's my sponsor. LOL I love how MFP tracks the macronutrients, while my points and calories aligned even with my free fruits as snacks during the workday (addicted to clementines right now!), I found out I was only getting 30% calcium and 60% iron, both very bad nutrients to be deficient in as a young woman! I will stick with tracking in both programs until the 13 week @Work session ends, but I can already tell I like MFP better. The online tools are by far tons better, the database is quick and thorough, and the community is so friendly! Maybe I'll keep up with WW at the same time to try and get lifetime, we'll see.
  • deb2799
    deb2799 Posts: 45
    Options
    I signed up last week and HATE it. I find the website annoying to work with, the database isn't as great as here. the forums are terrible, they can't even tell you the "point" number of the recipes or items they eat. I also find it harder to calculate the points when I am out, calories are much easier, but that is just me. I actually req a refund since the agreement says I can within 5 days and I am within that
  • BorgieMN
    BorgieMN Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    WW worked well for me. Lost 250 pounds on it. It did teach me how to eat again. I've been off it now for about 4 months counting calories. I have not gained any back, and have lost inches and gained muscle in the meantime.

It works well for some people, others don't like it. Like anything if it works for you stick with it. If it doesn't try something else.
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options

The one thing I really miss about WW is the weekly points; I could save them up to have a splurge once or twice a week (depending on how big of a splurge it was) without going off the program. I kinda wish MFP had something like that. Otherwise, when you do go out to eat for a special occasion, you just have to blow it that day, and start back up the next.

On the app, but not the website (as far as I can tell) you can look at your weekly net. So, if you are under a bit every day, click on weekly to see how far under your weekly goal you are; there's your saved-up splurge.
  • sam5412
    Options
    I have been a member of WW off and on for a few years and the meetings always drove me crazy so I stopped going and ended my membership. I joined MFP last week and found it to be helpful with counting calories however, I knew that my food intake was better than it had been in years and I had a CLEAN DAY, but by my afternoon snack I was out of calories to use and I was VERY VERY hungry. At that time I pulled out my WW info and counted points according to the points plus program that allowed me to have FREE FRUITS &VEGGIES and I had 9 points remaining to use for the day and no BIG RED -110 calorie sign flashing at me. I have returned to the plan but I now follow it on my own and I am not a paid member. I am proud to say that I have lost 6 pounds in one week.
  • sam5412
    Options
    Also this is my 2nd attempt at MFP. So i think i will stay involved for the support.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I did WW online a couple of years ago and had a lot of success with it. I am doing this now for the simple reason that it is free and since my problem is maintenance, not weight loss per se, I can do this indefinitely.

I think both programs are good. :)
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    I just came from WW. Ive always used it. 2 years ago i went from 140-82kg in a few months following their old points system.

I swear by it.

But with saying that, i decided to swap for MFP for

A) Calorie Counting. Making me be more aware of what im consuming. More responsible. More accountable.

B) The whole app thing. Being able to track everything abroad. Connecting Runtastic ect. Its just perfect.

I also know im very green around here, but to pull me away from WW, which i regarded as the pinnacle for many many years, after i researched dozens of other plans, this site must be doing something right.