I think this girl is amazing.

Options
Pass this blog on to a teenage girl you care about: http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/mystory

I just about cried when I read it. I have two daughters, and I am so concerned that they are going to have to deal with this kind of history. But this girl is amazing, she thrived, and now she is such a good example of healthy behavious.

Replies

• caseyg9888
    Options
    LOL, are you kidding me? Have you looked at the frankenfoods this girl creates? Tara Lynn is known in the blogosphere as one of the most disordered healthy living bloggers out there.

See also: Chocolate Covered Katie and a Dash of Meg

How do I know this? I'm a recovering anorexic, and I used these blogs for inspiration, as did many of the other people in the disordered eating communities I turned to for support.
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Ouch! I never looked at it this way, especially when I read this page: http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/faq

see also: http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/battlingbinge

The following are quotes:
    "If you rush into a new lifestyle, you don’t have time to make it natural. You won’t know which workouts you enjoy, or which healthy foods you like to eat overnight. It takes months before your lifestyle is in action.

You should set up a game-plan for your new lifestyle.

•Figure out your favorite health foods.
    •Experiment with different workouts.
    •Write down all your goals.
    •Learn how to balance your schedule with your new lifestyle.
    •Educate yourself on healthy options at restaurants.
    •Plan ahead when going out with friends/family.
    •Don’t punish yourself if you fall off track, it’s a lifestyle not a diet. Lifestyle’s don’t have limits. Diets do.
    •Treat yourself to prevent depriving.

quote:
    Diets limit your food intake. Lifestyles don’t. When I eat unhealthy, I continue to eat healthy afterwords, or work out. I don’t get upset and quit. I eat unhealthy a couple times a week. I don’t go overboard. I eat in moderation. If I want an ice cream cone when I am out walking the town, then I deserve it. You should never eat an entire tub of ice cream as a way of treating yourself. Moderation is key. If you don’t eat unhealthy once in a while, then you will deprive yourself. Depriving yourself can lead to serious binging.
    quote:
    I eat when I am hungry. I do make sure I fuel my body with healthy calories. I did the whole calorie counting for a couple months but it was frustrating. I found that it made me eat more and sometimes less. I let me body tell me how many calories I need to eat. I can eyeball when I am eating too few or too many. I make sure that I am getting enough to feel good. I don’t find it necessary to count the calories of : fruits, vegetables and yogurt. I think counting calories works in diets like weight watchers, but not in healthy lifestyles. I like to know the calorie content in my food to help me sense how many I am eating.
    unquote

...none of this sounds like an eating disorder to me. In her defense, she can't help it if people with disordered eating want to twist her intentions. We have people with those issues here at MFP as well, doesn't mean we as a community support it.

Didn't mean to start some sort of debate, but my opinion stands.
  • akindc
    akindc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Not to bump a dead thread, but Taralynn, Katie, and Meg are incredibly disordered if you read more than a single post and are very dangerous to their young readers.
  • 2horsestoride
    2horsestoride Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ouch! I never looked at it this way, especially when I read this page: http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/faq

see also: http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/battlingbinge

The following are quotes:
    "If you rush into a new lifestyle, you don’t have time to make it natural. You won’t know which workouts you enjoy, or which healthy foods you like to eat overnight. It takes months before your lifestyle is in action.

You should set up a game-plan for your new lifestyle.

•Figure out your favorite health foods.
    •Experiment with different workouts.
    •Write down all your goals.
    •Learn how to balance your schedule with your new lifestyle.
    •Educate yourself on healthy options at restaurants.
    •Plan ahead when going out with friends/family.
    •Don’t punish yourself if you fall off track, it’s a lifestyle not a diet. Lifestyle’s don’t have limits. Diets do.
    •Treat yourself to prevent depriving.

quote:
    Diets limit your food intake. Lifestyles don’t. When I eat unhealthy, I continue to eat healthy afterwords, or work out. I don’t get upset and quit. I eat unhealthy a couple times a week. I don’t go overboard. I eat in moderation. If I want an ice cream cone when I am out walking the town, then I deserve it. You should never eat an entire tub of ice cream as a way of treating yourself. Moderation is key. If you don’t eat unhealthy once in a while, then you will deprive yourself. Depriving yourself can lead to serious binging.
    quote:
    I eat when I am hungry. I do make sure I fuel my body with healthy calories. I did the whole calorie counting for a couple months but it was frustrating. I found that it made me eat more and sometimes less. I let me body tell me how many calories I need to eat. I can eyeball when I am eating too few or too many. I make sure that I am getting enough to feel good. I don’t find it necessary to count the calories of : fruits, vegetables and yogurt. I think counting calories works in diets like weight watchers, but not in healthy lifestyles. I like to know the calorie content in my food to help me sense how many I am eating.
    unquote

...none of this sounds like an eating disorder to me. In her defense, she can't help it if people with disordered eating want to twist her intentions. We have people with those issues here at MFP as well, doesn't mean we as a community support it.

Didn't mean to start some sort of debate, but my opinion stands.

I agree with your point of view. :)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Huh? The foods on her blog look natural and delicious.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I agree that the gal from Chocolate covered Katie doesn't look like she is a healthy weight....

I've never made any of their recipes though. . . I prefer skinnytaste.com
  • catrunsintowindow
    catrunsintowindow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what exactly do you think is disordered about that blog? Can you provide examples?
  • emmykeens
    Options
    I grew up with an older sister who went from being about 300 pounds to 68 pounds and on a feeding tube as a 17/18 year old because of the restrictive dieting and a "no no no" mentality. This type of disordered thought is common among a lot of nutrition/fitness bloggers. The "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" approach. It ignores moderation and turns food into a villain. They may say different things, but ultimately, the mentality is still disordered, and most of the information should be taken with a grain of salt.

In the case of Taralynn, she does make great points at times. However, she's gone from overweight to underweight and has a long list of "rules" for her diet that, while she doesn't specifically spell them out, are evident. Her words about moderation and not restricting aren't reflected in the actions she shows. (Compare the bit about moderation with her heavily modified restaurant choices, for example. Or the images of "bad foods" or the graphic comparing cups of popcorn to other foods.)

Basically, if the blog makes you feel ashamed for eating a handful of potato chips, it isn't promoting holistic health. Some things are physically healthy and mentally degrading, and highly restrictive dieting is one of those. You shouldn't fear certain foods. Moderation is better than avoidance or fear.

If you want a great example of extreme yet healthy weight loss, Criss is a great blogger. She's body positive and approaches weight loss/fitness/nutrition with a logical compassion.

Check her out. http://www.redhairandgirlyflair.com/2012/06/guide-how-criss-lost-weight.html
  • never124get
    Options
    I prefer skinnytaste.com

I LOVE skinnytaste.com :smile:
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I didn't think it amazing.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    no teenager with eating disorder leanings should know about tumblr.