No, Seriously: How do you learn to eat vegetables?

Options

Replies

• kornmaiden
    Options
    trader joe's sells a great low calorie queso, you could steam them and add that. Or try raw with low cal dip
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I don't really like vegetables, but most of 'em I don't hate, either. Like, I tolerate them, kind of? So I hear ya on the struggle.

I make what I call veggie and fruits salads, and basically have it as a side with almost every meal. Chop up a bunch of different veggies which you may not like but can stand to eat and dump them in a giant bowl, add one or two you don't like very much to the mix, add an apple and tomatoes or cucumbers, sometimes I do corn but not as much anymore (high sugar/carbs, but they make things nom!) a bit of salad spices (don,' go overboard, there could be a lot of salt) mix together, split into portions and add the dressing you feel like having just before you eat it (that way you can keep it for a couple days in the fridge).

The trick is to not overdo it with the dressing. If you like balsamic vinegar, that's a good one to try and use. Drop of it and a drop of maple syrup in about a cup and a half of that veggie salad.

When I don't have enough time, I just pick up whatever's fastest to fix (usually spinach and a tomato) and down it before my meal. So I'm over and done with it.

Frozen vegetables are also a decent way to start. I just nukle mine in the microwave for like 4 mins from the frozen state. Sometimes add a bit of spices but most of the time just keep them natural. The taste/texture is a lot milder, so it's easier to get accustomed to it.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Force yourself until you're used to it. That's how I got myself into raw veggies, diet coke, exercise, foot massages, plenty of other things.

I used to make big salads, putting on tons of different veggies even if they didn't mesh well. I would make sure I had enough calories in my diary to put on things I like (hard cooked egg, croutons, baked chicken, cheese, light-yet-tasty dressing). This way I got the nutrients I needed in raw veggie form but still had tasty meals.

I will suggest this tex-mex salad that my girl and I make. Do veggies fajita style (bell peppers, onions, carrots, mushrooms in a soy / lime juice marinade), let them cool. Throw them on greens with black beans, corn, cilantro, whatever you like.

The dressing is salsa and this really low cal deliciousness that we make. Mince chipotle peppers (from a can) and stir into nonfat yogurt. Nice and spicy and the worst thing on there is maybe the veggies. If you have enough calories to spare, grate cheddar and toss on some crumbled up tortilla chips, chicken, shrimp, tofu, whatever. Sometimes we make HUGE salads like this. The spiciness keeps you full and it is so tasty, I swear it's one of my favorite things to eat these days.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Steamed broccoli and carrots are amazing and even if you don't like it for yourself, feed it to your child
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! i didn't eat them growing up and have this stigma against them, so not only is it a mental hurdle but i also have no idea what part of the plant to eat or how to prepare it. I've started trying things based on what my friends are eating and then i google how to eat it. I also try to eat it very plain so i get an idea of what exactly it tastes like etc, even if i dont care for it plain i can then play w/ the idea of if i want to dice it shred it or otherwise obliterate it into the foods i do like. I found last year that i like Tomatos! Had never had an actual tomato before outside of ketchup or pizza sauce and now i'll put them in burritos sandwiches etc, nom nom!

So just get out there, grab a new exciting veggie from the produce dept google what you should do with it and go on a taste adventure :)
  • lilly_star
    Options
    I love stirfry's for a good dose of veggies. I don't use oil just season with chilli, garlic, ginger and 1 tsp of tamari sauce. Delicious!
  • theplatypus
    Options
    Oven roasted veggies are the BEST! Just a little olive oil (which has lots of good fats) and some salt and pepper. Cauliflower, asparagus, or squash taste awesome when cooked this way.
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've always struggled with some Raw veggies (peppers, onions, celery, carrots) but I find that steamed veggies are really good. I can only eat regular carrots cooked, but baby carrots I can do raw and especially steamed. I'll under steam things just to give them a little bit of softness but still maintain their crunch which works for me. I have to agree with doing veggies in different ways though, start off with smoothies .. or try to 'hide' veggies in things. I hear there's a lot of versatility/ability to replace things with cauliflower such as making 'mashed potatoes' with them, or as a replacement as rice in some dishes.

Good luck with your veggies!
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    About juicing--I think that's a waste, frankly. One of the most valuable things vegetables contribute is fiber, which helps you stay full.

I've learned to keep the "waste" from my carrot juicing and re-use/ sneak them into meatloaf, and carrot cake, etc. . I'm sure there are other uses for other veggies & fruits so that the fiber isn't thrown out and wasted.
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan to too many raw vegetables, but roasted vegetables? I love roasted vegetables... Have you tried them that way? Just lightly coat with olive oil and sea salt and throw in the oven. Can do with broccoli and then add some lemon juice at the end. I also love roasted red pepper with goat cheese on top.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! (And the links!)

I'm definitely going to have to learn how to steam vegetables; it sounds like a lot of y'all roll that way. :D I'm still learning how to cook & spice more than my stable of, like, eight meals, so now is certainly as good a time as any.
  • mussmom
    mussmom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    For your child-cheddar cheese on top of any steamed veggie work wonders with my boys. Now the will eat veggies raw. All kids like spaghetti, don't they? I have finely chopped zucchini, raw spinach, and even broccoli and added it to the sauce. The blending, then mixing it in stuff is also a great idea. Also, once I cooked cut in half brussel sprouts with a bit of coconut oil and threw in a Tbs of bacon bits. My 11 year old ate mine and I had to make more! I just cooked it in the frying pan til the sprouts were a bright green and still a bit crunchy. Also mix mashed cauliflower in Mac and cheese. Good luck!
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    Open mouth... put veggie in mouth... close mouth... bite... move jaw up and down several times... swollow.

thats how I do it.

Agreed, I have resigned them to something I should do, is good for me, so I should do and it seems I don't hate them as much. Still not a huge fan, but it is improved.
  • manofpies
    manofpies Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Vinegar.. Works a treat with greens.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Don't over cook them, the more often you eat them you will eventually either grow to like them or still hate them. I cannot eat lima beans or kohlrabi... ever... but love most other veggies. For spinach I saute a clove of chopped garlic in olive oil, then add spinach and a splash of white wine or broth. For green beans, I cook diced bacon, add the green beans and a little salsa.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Vinegar.. Works a treat with greens.

Yes! I read through all the suggestions and was about to add this. Sauté greens and add an acid: vinegar or lemon juice. I was almost 50 before I learned to love cooked greens because I didn't know to do this. For stir fry, how about adding a stir fry sauce if you have the calories and roasting or grilling, as others have said, is another good way to get lots of veggies in.

Experiment! Raw with dip. Grated and added to other foods. Cheese on top. You'll learn to love them.

ETA: Lemon juice is a good addition to lots of vegetables.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I just got a Nutribullet a week ago, and I love it. For me, I'm adding a green/fruit drink in the morning to my already good (but not perfect) diet. For my daughters, it's been a godsend, because I can hide greens inside a fruity drink (and if you get frozen fruit, it's like a smoothie). My kids are getting more nutrition than they ever have, simply because they can easily stomach it.

If not the Nutribullet, you can get a juicer and try it. Doesn't work for everybody, but it's working for us. Good luck to you!:drinker:
  • mrykyldy2
    mrykyldy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    One thing I have come to realize is that veggies get borins so quickly. I used to just steam them, as we mostly ate brocolli, asparagus, brussel sprouts, artichokes, and cauliflower. Those are all great but very limiting and boring. I learned to cook veggies in various ways. I check allrecipes.com and transfer the ones that I like to an app for my nook so I can have the recipe there in the kitchen while I cook it. It has worked well for me. A couple of our favs are eggplant parmesean and asparagus parmesean. Sauteed zucchini is pretty good. The amazing thing is is that they are pretty easy to make, well the eggplant is a little more involved but still not difficult to do. It is more of a side dish for when you have a little more time to cook like a day off.
  • kikilita
    kikilita Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I hate veggies, too. Uggggh........
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I don't like veggies. I don't like the way they taste, I don't like the texture.

I'm trying to find ways to eat them healthily (read: not cooked to death and soaked in butter), and so far I mostly like spinach. In things. Sometimes. I not only want to eat more healthy food, but I also want to model better eating habits to the child (almost four). I just have no idea now to start.

Just now, I wanted a sandwich. I didn't want the bread, so I tried this lettuce wrap thing. It was tolerable, but it took me ten minutes to even take the first bite.

Well done for wanting to change for the sake of your child, I wish more people were like you. That doesn't sound like just disliking produce, ten minutes sounds bordering on food phobia. If so it would be worth seeking medical support for that. How can you dislike all textures, a cooked mushroom is totally different from a raw bell pepper, roasted carrot totally different to raw carrot for example?

I just kept tasting healthy foods prepared in different ways until I liked or could tolerate a reasonable selection. Still don't eat much of the one texture/ taste I really loathe: cooked squash and (most) cooked root vegetables. I can eat a whole lot more vegetables with some sort of sauce than plain - South Asian curry, cheese, East Asian stir fry, stews/ casseroles, tomato and veg pasta sauce, smoothies, soups, dips, non leafy salads like coleslaw with dressing and so on.

Sounds a bit OCD/ eccentric (and it is!) but it helps me to select what I buy and eat partly based on the colour groups - blue/ purple, red, green, yellow/ orange. I guess it reminds me I am doing it for health and it certainly forces me to eat more dark green stuff. I also looked up the nutrient content of many (partly for my work in lifestyle healthcare) and I just don't bother with foods I don't really like that are not really nutritious such as cucumber.