Does a good week automatically mean a good loss?

kjs1628
kjs1628 Posts: 37 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
What are your opinions on this?

I have had a really good week, done loads of exercise and stuck to goal calories, but appear to have put on weight. Could this actually be my naughty week last week catching up with me? How long do you think it takes for calorie intake to get through to your scales???

I did seem to get away with last week, losing 1/2 a pound which is less than normal, but okay considering that on three days out of seven I probably had around 1500-1800 cals rather than 1200 ( so I didn't go absolutely mad, but worst I've been since starting losing weight)

I'd be really interested in hearing your opinions.

Thanks.

Replies

• sazziecee
    sazziecee Posts: 143
    I find that what I eat shows on the scales the second week rather than my initial weigh in.

If I have had a really good week and get to the scales and stay the same, I feel bad, but then generally have a bigger than usual loss the following week

Even my class instructor says to me "it will show next week"

But I guess there are no hard and fast rules for everyone :)
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Does one good week automatically mean yady yada yada,,, - not necessarily. Water retention, weather, stress, girly cycles. Lots and lots of stuff can screw up weight loss in the short term.

However - 14 good weeks in 4 months absolutely automatically has to mean a good loss. And how do we get 14 good weeks? 1 good week at a time. :smile:

You're doing fine. This isn't a sprint, or even a marathon, It's just life.
  • HawkeyeGuy
    HawkeyeGuy Posts: 183
    It's an art, not a science, due to everyone unique body make-up, metabolism, etc. If you've incorporated strength training, it wouldn't be odd (nor a bad thing) to put on some weight occasionally. Remember, a cubic inch of muscle weighs considerably more than a cubic inch of fat. So, if you put on some muscle (yeah!), and lose some fat (yeah!) - you're going the right direction, correct? BUT, you may very well show weight gain that week.

Don't stress about a one week blip. Look at long term trends. It's not as sexy, or glamorous to lose a pound a week, but I GUARANTEE you that if you go this route, and build muscle, you will be TEN TIMES more likely to stay fit. So, don't worry about the scale - look in the mirror, take pictures, feel your pants, check your resting heart rate - all of which are much better indicators of your success over the scale. Now get working out.
  • tntrav44
    tntrav44 Posts: 100 Member
    Does one good week automatically mean yady yada yada,,, - not necessarily. Water retention, weather, stress, girly cycles. Lots and lots of stuff can screw up weight loss in the short term.

However - 14 good weeks in 4 months absolutely automatically has to mean a good loss. And how do we get 14 good weeks? 1 good week at a time. :smile:

Great advice! :smile:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member

What Capser said.

There were weeks that I gained 4 lbs, and then dropped 8 the next. As much as we would like losing wieght to be a linear equation like when we click on the food diary...it never works like that.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    How do you eat an elephant? One little bite at a time. (Not advocating actually eating elephants here people).

Casper has it right. This is a life long journey and it will have it's hills and valleys just like any journey (and stretches of total flatness, just like Kansas). All we can do is keep going in the right direction.

Add another good week next week, and keep traveling down that road. Don't be worried about a rest stop every now and then, just watch out and make sure you don't detour back to the old road you used to be on.

Good luck and God Bless.
  • kjs1628
    kjs1628 Posts: 37 Member
    Thanks guys! Great advice.

I love this site!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    I think as long as the food is in your system, your body can absorb the calories. I don't think it would show up a week later, and it's been my experience that it doesn't.

I love what Casper said. It's great advice. :)
This discussion has been closed.