how do you get your veggies?

Options
2»

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Salad or carrot sticks with lunch and veggies with dinner. I too should probably eat more but it's hard to get everything in with my calorie alottment. I just try to find very low calorie vegetables to squeeze in to my daily plan. They really do help fill you up.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    my girlfriend hides them in my food
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Low sodium V-8 Juice - but I heat it up and eat like I would tomato soup.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options

Giggle....My mom use to try this - it never worked for her.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    cantelope and honeydew melon keep for a long time (pre-cut), so does butternut and spagetti squash. the easiest way to get in your fruits and veggies is to have one of each with every meal

breakfast - banana, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, cranberries --> good in your cereal/oatmeal/yogurt
    apple, pear, orange, grapefruit, grapes, cherries, cantelope, pineapple --> good on their own

lunch - add veggies to your salad or sandwich --> shredded carrots, cucumbers, tomatos, mushrooms, broccoli, avocado, red pepper, artichoke, corn (with black beans), jimaca, bean sprouts, potato, green beans, kiwi, papaya, dried fruit

supper - eat one of each on their own and add some to whatever you are making. for example, lasanga with hidden veggies in it (carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli celery, spinach) and a salad with apricots and broiled asparagus.

i plan out my meals each week so my fruits and veggies rotate around quite a bit. feel free to check out my menu blog if you are interested in ideas. :)
    dawn
  • acakeforawife
    Options
    I have a hard time with veggies because I have a hard time eating them raw (they make my stomach feel 'weird', I don't know how else to explain it! Ha ha!), and I don't always have time to cook. I've actually started microwaving my salads. :smile: BUT one awesome thing I've discovered is: Green Monsters! Also known as a smoothie with spinach! Sounds gross but you really have to try it, you CANNOT taste the spinach!

The basic recipe (that I use) is:
    1 cup vanilla almond milk (or vanilla soy milk)
    1 small or half large banana, (can be frozen)
    2 -3 large handfuls of spinach (basically fill the blender)
    ice

Blend away! It honestly just tastes like bananas and milk! And you've got two generous servings of green veggies in there. You can do a lot of variations on this too, any kind of fruit works well, and other greens like kale (though it tastes a bit stronger), I know some people add carrots, and you can mix it up with juice, yogurt, protein powder, flax meal, etc.
  • JennyVirginia
    Options
    I too was in the same boat so I started doing small things and then it's just become a habit now. I love doing scrambled eggs or omlettes for breakfast using Egg Beaters & I always load it with veggies. Then for snacks I love doing carrot sticks or celery dipped in hummus or celery with peanut butter. Salads are my favorite for lunch so that takes care of a big chunk of my veggie intake because I load my salad with all kinds of veggies. If I don't do a salad for lunch I make sure to incorporate veggies somehow - lettuce, cucumbers & tomatoes on my sandwich; vegetable soup or just some carrot/celery sticks. I'm thinking about getting a juicer and that will help me get some good veggies. Good Luck to you - Keep up the good work!
  • gottalosesome2010
    Options
    I ate mine mostly raw like baby carrots,cauliflower,cucumbers,sweet bell peppers and salads
  • sheiladderr
    Options
    I love raw veggies like carrots, celery, cucumbers & green bell peppers so I usually have a small sandwich baggie of them with my lunch at work. I also love to cook fresh veggies (not frozen or canned) when I can. My favorites are broccoli and green beans. I just boil them and sprinkle lemon pepper on them. WAY YUM!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    heyyyyy :laugh:
  • yogamazinglife
    yogamazinglife Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    For breakfast try this, it's so tasty and 1.5-2 servings of veg.

Slice up mushrooms, cut broccoli florets small (one serving of each or 80g each)
    Put in fraying pan with 2-3 tablespoons of vegtable broth/stock
    Cook until liquid is boiled down
    Turn heat to low, pop in dollop of herb & garlic light cream cheese, mix until creamy and combined
    Put on two slices of whole-wheat toast.

voila! creamy yummy healthy breakfast that's 2 servings of veg, lots of whole-grains & fiber and tastes like it should be bad for you. This creamy veg mix can also be put onto a baked/jacket potato. Feel free to change the veg around as well. I like to add a serving of small califlower florets sometimes. Carrots or courgettes (zucchinis) might be nice too!
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    heyyyyy :laugh:

:bigsmile:
  • healthycat31
    Options
    You could have raw vegetables with dips or top some healthy crackers with spinach leaves, a slice of tomato, maybe some olives, wild rocket for a snack if you already have veggies as part of the evening meal.

I use a lot of spinach leaves, peppers, tomatoes, & mushrooms for evening meals, & have started using more broccoli too:)
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    I have a hard time with veggies because I have a hard time eating them raw (they make my stomach feel 'weird', I don't know how else to explain it! Ha ha!), and I don't always have time to cook. I've actually started microwaving my salads. :smile: BUT one awesome thing I've discovered is: Green Monsters! Also known as a smoothie with spinach! Sounds gross but you really have to try it, you CANNOT taste the spinach!

ice

Blend away! It honestly just tastes like bananas and milk! And you've got two generous servings of green veggies in there. You can do a lot of variations on this too, any kind of fruit works well, and other greens like kale (though it tastes a bit stronger), I know some people add carrots, and you can mix it up with juice, yogurt, protein powder, flax meal, etc.

Thank you!! I've been looking for a green monster type receipe
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options

ice

Thank you!! I've been looking for a green monster type receipe

Genius! im going to try and put this in my metrx protein shake as well.