- Inches + Body fat + Weight gain = WTF??

Options
I have been plateaued for the longest time now (5 months) and it is sickening. Lately I have been GAINING weight (6 pounds) in the last month and a half and I have a rigorous work out schedule including: indoor soccer, personal training, strength classes, crossfit, lifting, running and zumba. I'm at the gym every day, sometimes twice a day and my diet is clearly monitored through my fitness pal religiously and my numbers are always good.

What does this mean? I don't get why after 7 months of consistent weight dropping, body fat dropping and strength increase that I would plateau and then start GAINING in weight and body fat but still be going down in inches?

Replies

• Nursey318
    Nursey318 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you have gained fat? Sounds like you are gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. That would also explain the drop in inches. Just a thought ;)

Edit: typo
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    How do you know you are gaining fat? How are your clothes fitting? I personally would be happy losing inches and not worry so much about what the scale says.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you have gained fat? Sounds like you are gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. That would also explain the drop in inches. Just a thought ;)

Edit: typo

Exactly! It really shouldn't matter what the scale says if you are losing inches and gaining muscle.. that is the point, NOT the machine at your feet. And yes, in volume, muscle weighs more than fat.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I always gain weight right before my period. I gain 8 pounds total from that......
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    muscle does NOT weigh more than fat!! a pound is a pound whether its of fat, muscle , feathers or bricks. However muscle is denser than fat and takes up less space in the body which is why you could stay the same weight whilst actually measuring smaller in size
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    muscle does NOT weigh more than fat!! a pound is a pound whether its of fat, muscle , feathers or bricks. However muscle is denser than fat and takes up less space in the body which is why you could stay the same weight whilst actually measuring smaller in size
    You're saying one thing, then counteracting it with the rest of your statement.

Of course a pound of muscle does not weigh more than a pound of fat. However, any given volume of muscle weighs more than that same volume of fat.

Say you had a table, same size, same thickness of wood, exact same appearance other than colour. One is red oak (4lb to a board foot) and the other is pine (2.7lb to a board foot), nobody would deny that the oak one WEIGHS MORE.

So yes; muscle DOES weigh more than fat.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    fat loss is not linear. It is up to you to jolt or shock your metabolism into function again. Which is very easy to do.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options

Of course a pound of muscle does not weigh more than a pound of fat. However, any given volume of muscle weighs more than that same volume of fat.

Say you had a table, same size, same thickness of wood, exact same appearance other than colour. One is red oak (4lb to a board foot) and the other is pine (2.7lb to a board foot), nobody would deny that the oak one WEIGHS MORE.

so you'd say a POUND of feathers weighs more than a POUND of bricks then simply because its a different size?? Go figure
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options

so you'd say a POUND of feathers weighs more than a POUND of bricks then simply because its a different size?? Go figure
    You're implying that weight is the only form of measurement. Unless you can get your head out of that space this conversation is not worthwhile.

The point is: sliuba, when you have gained weight but not gained size, it is usually muscle. The same volume of muscle (say, 1litre as a measurement form) weighs more than the same volume of fat. So if you look the same but weigh more, you've lost fat and gained muscle. It's a good thing, and will help your body burn MORE calories.
  • calisunrise
    Options
    it's probably water weight unless you're not on a deficit or you are new to training
  • smilesalot1969
    Options

You're implying that weight is the only form of measurement. Unless you can get your head out of that space this conversation is not worthwhile.

The point is: sliuba, when you have gained weight but not gained size, it is usually muscle. The same volume of muscle (say, 1litre as a measurement form) weighs more than the same volume of fat. So if you look the same but weigh more, you've lost fat and gained muscle. It's a good thing, and will help your body burn MORE calories.

ummm i believe thats actually what i did say.... ie: muscle is denser and takes up less space therefore implying you would need MORE of it to occupy the same space. So if you need more then it would weigh more!!!
  • sliuba
    sliuba Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My clothes are fitting the same, but the problem is I DEPEND on the hand held body fat measuring.

My goal isn't to lose weight but to drop body fat down to 20%. I started at 28%. Dropped to 24% But now I am back up to 27%. This was all over the span of 10 months.

I only test myself once a month for the body fat and I've noticed my body fat INCREASING instead of decreasing. So if it's me gaining muscle, wouldn't my body fat drop as well?