I hate myself right now

Options
I have been doing this program for over 3 months now and i just had my 1st real binge episode. I have gone over my calories a few times but never out of bingeing. I went to McDonalds for dinner and i was getting one sandwich or one medium fry which would have been in my calorie range. I ate that and then proceeded to go out to my car and go through the drive thru and order a bunch more stuff. I feel so stuffed right now, and so ashamed for doing that. Fast food was always my weakness; it was like a drug to me. I thought i could handle having it every couple weeks since before MFP, i would have it once or twice a day. I even went to the gym today. I did not see this coming, that's what scares me because before, my binges/compulsive overeating was always planned. I know in my head, i will get back on track tomorrow. I hope this is an isolated incident, but i do worry that my "addiction" is just looking over my shoulder waiting for me to fail. Without me failing, my addiction cannot exist. I can't let it "win". I have worked too hard to lose what i have lost so far. Thank you all for your feedback and support

Replies

• IsabellaC45
    IsabellaC45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me lots of times - more than I would like to admit.

But, you just have to move on. From what you've said, this sounds like merely a drop in an ocean.

Don't worry too much, and try to remember how you're feeling now, the next time you're tempted to binge.

:):)
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I had a bad day yesterday, killed my allowance. Today. Have been really good, went for a swim and have really spent time tonight on MFP, the stories and pics have been the inspiration I needed to know yesterday is gone, today was much better. Read some of the posts today, the are amazing ! Oh and stop beating yourself up!
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Here are few thoughts running through as I read this..... #1. LOG IT.... look at those painful numbers see what you just ate.
    #2. Remember this for next time, perhaps this "addiction" is stronger then you think. (Sugar is mine, I will binge till sick, so I don't do it) I have not had a sweet of any kind since summer... So if McDonalds is a trigger don't go, you can make a burger at home, you can make homefries at home (baked with olive oil and seasoning salt).
    Just a thought and this is what I think about, you don't give a recovering alcoholic a bottle and tell him one drink. So why go to McDonalds and allow yourself one burger and one fries????
    I know the two are not the same but they are similar.... someone was once dependant on it for some sort of relief, joy, or coping mechanism.....
  • graciejog
    graciejog Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    the good thing is you went to the gym today. You haven't eaten McDonald's all week long. Next time just go thru the drive thru with the good order and drive straight home so that your not tempting yourself for the second order. Just DO not quit and don't give up
  • Artemis00diana
    Options
    I just a week off this - but it helped me to keep track and keep logging my food anyway - I still learn from it, and it made it easier to go back to the healthy way the next day
  • dga226
    dga226 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    its ok to binge ever so often but just rember to get back on track and reach for your goals
  • bearsgal9
    Options
    I can totally relate! Went on a mini vacation in November and was bad (not horrible at least). We probably all have those days. All you can do is try to be better tomorrow.

I am feeling bad that I didn't workout (was so good the last 3 days) but my back is giving me problems.

We just have to try our best and realize that we are only human... here's to a better day on Saturday! :)
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    You've lost 50 lbs and you just ate 4000 calories. That's about a pound of gain plus the few lbs of water weight you'll gain from the carbs and sodium.

Be realistic. No hating yourself. No throwing of pity parties of any size. It happened. It won't destroy your progress. You are in control.

Back on the horse, cowboy.
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    ok, you can have a brief freak out then re-group.

this was a learning experience. and the longer you go between visits to fast food, the less and less appealing it will be. especially if you eat healthy good food the rest of the time.
  • Annie_ga
    Options
    Please don't beat yourself up - it takes a long time to get rid of bad habits. At least you realize your weakness! To avoid pig out sessions myself, I try to eat every couple of hours so that I never really get too hungry - which can trigger any binge. It mostly works for me I'm glad to say. Tomorrow is another day!
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The things in fast food- sugar, salt, fat- have been shown to be as addictive as crack (well...ok...that might actually be a hyperbole). Your body craves those things. It's built in evolutionarily.

So don't be so down on yourself. I was lucky enough to have parents that refused to buy me fast food growing up (I have actually thanked my mother for that) so I have no cravings for it, but I have my own problem foods. Everyone does.

Keep making the positive changes you've been making. Don't let this trip you up. If you decide you can't have fast food semi-regularly without binging or abusing it, then cut it out. I'm a big fan of moderation, but for some people, that just won't work.

Also, be aware of your emotions when you binge like that. Figuring out a trigger (mine is boredom) can be extremely helpful.

That's all I've got. Just keep calm and carry on!
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    If its truly an "addiction" you feel powerless against seek counsel from an Overeatters anonymous group in your town (you can google their locations).

If you are living with a super strict daily diet, learn about BALANCE. Don't go so low our so strict you aren't able to maintain. There is a huge difference between "diet" and "healthy lifestyle" change. I still incorporate a daily treat that maybe a piece a candy or slice of cheese to go along with my healthy eating.

Lastly, you don't encourage an alcoholic to go to a bar and be face with unlimited alcoholic beverages... so next time if this is your weakness just don't go to a fast food restaurant. learn to take those items you crave like french fries or cheeseburger and make them healthy at home. I'm crazy for tex-mex food but I don't go to Taco Shop in think I can have just 1 burrito, instead I buy fat free refried beans and 2 percent cheese and make my own Mexican Dish that has way fewer calories and fat.

Good luck!
  • ShoshanahM
    ShoshanahM Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You should be proud of everything you've accomplished so far! Three months is a long time to be tracking your calories. This was one overeating/junk food session. ONE. Perhaps you used to eat this on a regular basis, and *most of the time* you no longer eat this. (Some people even recommend occasional "cheat days" to confuse your metabolism.) Fast food is really designed to be addictive (fatty, sugary, salty, caffeinated), so it triggers all the reward centers in your brain. Don't beat yourself up. Old habits die hard.

Maybe you can keep a motivational picture or quotation in your car to remind yourself of what you've fought for and that you will not give up. Most streets that have McDonald's have a Subway as well. You could get one of their leaner sandwiches next time you want convenience food. Or perhaps, if you *must* have McDonald's, just get a burger or fries in the drive through, and go home, so that it would take more effort to go back. If I have a french fry craving, I make roasted red potatoes with herbs and eat them with ketchup. It satisfies that crispy-potato-and-ketchup craving, but you only need about 1 Tbsp or so of olive oil to roast them. They're super easy and tasty.

Don't worry! It sounds like 1 day of 90 that didn't fit your plan. Just use your frustration as motivation to be a beast in the gym again tomorrow!
  • joshwevans
    joshwevans Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That sucks, but one thing you need to keep in mind is that fast food actually is addictive. It's made, as well as dressed up, to pull you in. Yes, you need to be aware of binging, and try and reel yourself in, but at the same time, you should acknowledge that it is legitimately addictive, and should be treated with caution.
  • shlevon
    shlevon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this program for over 3 months now and i just had my 1st real binge episode. I have gone over my calories a few times but never out of bingeing. I went to McDonalds for dinner and i was getting one sandwich or one medium fry which would have been in my calorie range. I ate that and then proceeded to go out to my car and go through the drive thru and order a bunch more stuff. I feel so stuffed right now, and so ashamed for doing that. Fast food was always my weakness; it was like a drug to me. I thought i could handle having it every couple weeks since before MFP, i would have it once or twice a day. I even went to the gym today. I did not see this coming, that's what scares me because before, my binges/compulsive overeating was always planned. I know in my head, i will get back on track tomorrow. I hope this is an isolated incident, but i do worry that my "addiction" is just looking over my shoulder waiting for me to fail. Without me failing, my addiction cannot exist. I can't let it "win". I have worked too hard to lose what i have lost so far. Thank you all for your feedback and support

Maybe you were just really hungry? I'm not sure painting yourself as an out of control addict is necessarily the path of wisdom insofar is it places the locus of control outside of yourself, empowering these foods to have an almost magical power over you. You're a guy that got really hungry so wanted to eat highly rewarding foods. That's actually pretty normal.

Realistically an occasional binge like this isn't going to amount to much. The only thing I'd suggest is, if you feel out of control, to direct your hunger towards healthier food sources. I.e. there's no reason you had to eat the Mcdonald's. Eat a big *kitten* protein shake and as many bagels as you can physically tolerate next time. You'll probably feel 1/10th as gross, you'll help refill any depleted glycogen stores, and your workouts will even be awesome for the next few days.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I hope this is an isolated incident, but i do worry that my "addiction" is just looking over my shoulder waiting for me to fail.

Don't hope. Decide it is an isolated incident. Especially if you have a history of planning your binges.

Food is not a physical addiction. Your body won't shut down and go through painful withdrawals if you cut out the crap from your diet. Don't personify your addiction, don't give it power. You need to get away from this "drug addict" mentality because if you don't, you will always be 'the victim', and victims don't become stronger by staying as they are. Best of luck to you.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Even people who have never had weight or eating issues, binge sometimes. Though they probably don't refer to it as a binge. They think to themselves, 'ugh, not doing that again in a hurry' and carry on with life.
  • Kaathmandu
    Options
    When you are learning how to ride a bike, you are gonna fall off a couple of times - don't beat yourself up! Obviously, the less you fall off the better, but shrug it off, and get back on the bike/horse/programme ... as you've done.
    I agree with the ones who've said if it is an addiction, don't feed it (literally! :laugh: )
    Good luck, enjoy the ride
    :smile:
  • Tryinonemoretime
    Tryinonemoretime Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    We are all flawed humans. It happens to all of us. Now kick yourself in the bum once.......now it is over, done with, gone. Start a new! Remain Calm and Carry On! :happy:
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Even people who have never had weight or eating issues, binge sometimes. Though they probably don't refer to it as a binge. They think to themselves, 'ugh, not doing that again in a hurry' and carry on with life.

Everyone has overeaten at some point in their lives, and a lot of people call it 'binging' but there is a difference. Taken from another post, it's pretty simplified but it's a start:
    djTcO.jpg