Growing Stevia

Options
I'm planning on growing a few Stevia plants in the garden this summer as an experiment. Does anyone have any idea how the actual leaves should be processed to add to tea (i.e. do I steep the tea with a leaf? Grind them up? Dry or fresh?) Can I dry the leaves at the end of the summer or will I experience only summer sweet drinks?

If it is just me and my husband at home using it, how many plants should I plant? Also, if it works this year, I'd like to grow more the next year to be able to give to family/friends during the holidays....I think it'll make a unique gift....

I'm really intrigued by growing my own sweetners, figure it's gotta be better than the processed store bought stuff...

Replies

• Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    BUMP

I'm interested in the replies. :flowerforyou:
  • viliberty
    viliberty Posts: 74
    Options
    I want to know,too.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    http://www.stevia.net/

I found this website when I googled "Growing Stevia" Maybe it will help a little!
  • venvs70
    venvs70 Posts: 2
    Options
    Bump :wink:
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    we grew a few stevia plant last summer. the boys like to pick the leaves and eat them so we did not have much to dry out and crush for using in food prep. i don't know how much 'sugar' you normally use, but i would tell you to over-estimate on how many plants you think you need.
    dawn