Wife vs. Husband Debate

Options
2»

Replies

• corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Anecdotal evidence and all, but I wasn't eating them back for a while and I was irritable and grumpy and always tired. I upped my intake by a mere 300 calories and feel way better, so much so that I'm considering upping it another 200. I'd rather lose weight slowly and feel good while doing it.
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I agree, if you are eating only 1200 calories and burning 1000 for exercise you are seriously under eating and can really mess up your metabolism where it will become extremely difficult if not impossible to lose weight.

Not only that, but if you are calorie deficient too much for too long, you can lose bone density. You should truely find out the lowest you can eat in the safe range. Maybe aska doctor or nutrition expert. It is different for everyone. It sounds like to me you are eating to few calories.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    a lady I met at the gym a few years ago told me that she would eat 1200-1800 and burn off half. it worked for me for a while till I got a job and stopped working out
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I never eat back what I burn and I am having great results. I don't know why people on this board always say that. The idea is create a deficit either through working out or eating less. The reason why don't go below 1200 calories a day is because its hard to get the nutrients your body requires. Working out does make you magically not get the nutrients from your food. At 1200 calories and day and burning 100 calories a day I think you will get worn out quick and feel ran down all the time.

No offense, but you've lost 4lbs since October. I wouldn't say these are great results.
  • flarge
    flarge Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Eat it back or gain it back. Your choice. Your body needs fuel. It can't run on empty tank forever.

So true. I had a friend who didn't eat enough while on a vigorous workout regimen and when she got pregnant she BLEW UP. It's been over a year now and she is still very overweight. Her extremely restrictive diet did a number on her metabolism.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options
    ...If I eat my 1,200 calories a day is it healthy to burn 1,000 calories at the gym each day I work out (five days a week Monday-Friday)...
    No.
    ...or will this have a negative impact on my body?
    Yes.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Are you seriously saying you're going to try to survive on 200 calories a day? It'll probably destroy you.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Quick question/debate in the household and I was wondering what those of you on MFP thought to add to our discussion:

If I eat my 1,200 calories a day is it healthy to burn 1,000 calories at the gym each day I work out (five days a week Monday-Friday) or will this have a negative impact on my body?

If not a 1,000 calories how many should I burn to start showing results?

Thanks!

So many threads on this, it's gone over on a daily basis if you run a search. Net above your basal metabolic rate which is the amount your body needs even if you were in a coma, eat enough calories from healthy wholefoods to supply a balance of all the nutrients your body needs for health and function, remembering when you exercise regularly your needs are substantially increased perhaps even doubled depending how active you are in daily life and how hard you are working out.