HRM / BPM / Calories / Questions

Options
Hi Everyone,

So, my hubby got me a HRM (Nike, because I already have the shoes/chip & the Nano app). However, that thing doesn´t seem to do anything with the BPM - it only records it. So no matter if I have a BPM of 155 or of 90 - it tells me the same calories - I guess it only counts the steps/distance?

I still like the HRM because I don´t have to use the handles at the gym etc... BUT

Here are my questions now:

1) Is it alright to convert the BPM to calories with online calculators?
(Like this one: http://www.calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html )

2) What is more accurate? Going by BPM with the online calculator or counting steps when walking/running (since it does record both and gives me average BPM, high BPM, the time etc...)

3) What is more accurate? The calorie counter on the elliptical machines at the gym or actually calculating how many calories I burned via my recorded BPM and an online calculator?

4) How does it work with circuit training? I have a few where the heart rate stays pretty low, but there is a bunch of strength involved in it, does that really mean that I only burn like 40 net calories in 20 min? (Calculated based on the BPM)

Sorry for the (maybe silly) questions. I am new to the HRM and am not sure how it actually gets the information (calories burned) or how other HRM work and what information they show :(

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• elorawood
    elorawood Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bump - help please :(
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options

Here are my questions now:

1) Is it alright to convert the BPM to calories with online calculators?
    (Like this one: http://www.calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html )

Sure.

2) What is more accurate? Going by BPM with the online calculator or counting steps when walking/running (since it does record both and gives me average BPM, high BPM, the time etc...)

I'd use BPM IF it has a chest strap.

3) What is more accurate? The calorie counter on the elliptical machines at the gym or actually calculating how many calories I burned via my recorded BPM and an online calculator?

The HRM is always going to be closer. Machine calories are usually WAY off.

4) How does it work with circuit training? I have a few where the heart rate stays pretty low, but there is a bunch of strength involved in it, does that really mean that I only burn like 40 net calories in 20 min? (Calculated based on the BPM)

No, strength training and cardio can burn close to the same, though in strength training, the afterburn is where most of the calories are burnt.

Remember- a HRM is just an estimate. Don't stress yourself over it. :smile:
  • elorawood
    elorawood Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is a strap.

Thanks for the information - unfortunately I do stress a little (ok...my hubby would laugh about the ¨little¨ comment) over it. But the more information I have about it, the better I feel (and less guilty to eat back some of the exercise calories). That´s why I am asking, I mean I do the logging here with food and exercise to try to be as exact as possible - it´s just that I really don´t know that much about the whole HRM´s / BPM stuff, and the results between gym calories and BPM calories burned are pretty high (according to the online calculator I actually burn more than what the gym one tells me).

Again, thanks :)