RMR Testing

MelleyJ
MelleyJ Posts: 198
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I was just wondering if anyone had their RMR checked before starting their weight loss program? I am having mine done on Monday, but wanted to see if anyone else out there had it done and if so, did it help them become more successful with their program? Thanks for any input!

Replies

• sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    I did mine using an online calculator. I am too intimidated to go to one of those places to get measured. :)

Although I can definitely see the benefits of knowing EXACTLY what you burn.
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    I just figured mine out online yesterday using this site:

http://www.shapeup.org/interactive/rmr1.php

I haven't had it professionally checked out but would sure like to.

I would be curious to see if the number you are given will be close to the calculation given on that site.

Found out my RMR is 1326 so I have been eating too few calories a day. Hopefully I will now break this plateau of 5 - 6 weeks.

Keep us posted!
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    I have used an online calculator as well, but believe in the number about as much as everyone believes in 1200 calories and that it's right for them. I just want to know what's right for me.
    The testing isn't intimidating. You just have to sit and relax for 20 minutes while you wear and breath into a mask. Pretty simple. Then there is the treadmill portion of the test, which isn't bad either. I've done stress tests before to determine my VO2 max. Just wondering if using the RMR calculations instead of doing the generic 1200 kcal is more accurate and if there is less of a chance of hitting that plateau when you are eating what you need and working out at a heart rate that is in your own fat burning mode.
This discussion has been closed.