17 Day Diet?

Options
anyone else following this way of eating?

Replies

• gettingfitnana303
    Options
    Hi, I really don't know what the 17 day diet is. Could you explain it to me?
  • snarkyblue
    Options
    it's a book i bought called '17 day diet'. you eat very clean for 17 days - chicken & fish and lots of veggies and probiotics and water and green tea. then for the next 17 days you add to what you eat ... its a program.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    What you describe is not eating clean that is restrictive, eating clean is about supply your body with all the nutrients it needs and more from whole and natural foods, it is not starving or depriving the body. Where are the fibre and minerals and healthy fats coming from? And how are you going to get all the nutrients your body needs in 17 days of eating whatever you want?
  • snarkyblue
    Options
    oh, sorry ... clean to me when i typed that, meant no preservatives and hidden ingredients. I make everything I eat.

I'm certainly not starving or depriving my body. I eat all day, and sometimes feel like i can't eat everything i'm supposed to.
    Healthy fats such as olive oil are a part of my daily eating, and I take a multivitamin. I'm following a different way of eating (to a T), how am I eating whatever I want? I'm aiming for about 1200 calories a day, in eating lean protein, vegetables, low sugar fruits and greek yogurt every day.
  • wbrink1
    wbrink1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    is it something you would recommend?
  • snarkyblue
    Options
    it's working for me! :) I've lost 6 lbs since the day after new years. :)
  • krispie67
    krispie67 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am also following this diet. I started and January 7 and have lost 5 pounds so far. It broke a plateau I have been stuck on for the past year. I don't feel deprived. Though I do crave my bad foods still. I used to eat a ton of processed food. Now I prepare everything from scratch which has been a challenge as i hate cooking lol. Their are lots of recipes on line for each cycle.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    How could that possibly be beneficial over just eating healthy and within your goals, at a deficit, every day?
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I lost quite a bit on it but after a few weeks I ended up feeling deprived because it's fairly strict. I ended up gaining back the weight I lost. Now I just eat anything in moderation, count calories, and exercise 4X/week and am down 67lbs... closest I've been to my goal in about 8 years and very easy to maintain lifelong. Good luck and best wishes to you! :)
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    it's working for me! :) I've lost 6 lbs since the day after new years. :)

I'd put my paycheck on you'd get the same results if you just ate within your calorie goals, hitting your macro's. Good job on your losses, but what most people have a problem with these types of diets is they are not sustainable for people the rest of their lives. The point of learning about proper nutrition, portion size and how to track your calories, is to give you the tools to eat like that, until you are taking a dirt nap. That being said, if you want to eat like that the rest of your life, go right ahead!
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I started on it last year and was on it through Cycle 3. I like it lost about 30 lbs, but it was a little hard to remember all the rules, and my husband was doing a different diet that didn't have much overlap between them. He lost 50 in the same amount of time and I didn't think it was fair to ask him too go on my diet so I switched to his.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    oh, sorry ... clean to me when i typed that, meant no preservatives and hidden ingredients. I make everything I eat.

I'm certainly not starving or depriving my body. I eat all day, and sometimes feel like i can't eat everything i'm supposed to.
    Healthy fats such as olive oil are a part of my daily eating, and I take a multivitamin. I'm following a different way of eating (to a T), how am I eating whatever I want? I'm aiming for about 1200 calories a day, in eating lean protein, vegetables, low sugar fruits and greek yogurt every day.

Malnutrition, undernourishment and deprivation is not about feeling full nor about how much you eat, you can be malnourished or a diet can be deficient regardless of how many calories it contains, how full you feel, how 'clean' individual foods are. Sorry to seem harsh, lifestyle healthcare (including nutrition) is my work and my passion so I say this because I care.

That's pretty low calorie and again is not a balance of the food groups by any stretch: are you eating a pile of nuts and seeds for minerals and fibre if you are not eating much grains or pulses? Olive oil is absolutely healthy but it is an extract not a wholefood so doesn't contain much in the way of essential nutrients, is not supplying you with any EFAs, vitamin D, minerals or fibre for example it's pretty much just calories. If you are limited on calories you'd be better getting your fats from oily fish nuts and seeds, all of which supply additional nutrients basically work double duty. If you were truly eating clean you simply wouldn't need a multi, remember they are supposed to supplement a balanced diet not replace it.
  • wondergirl1003
    wondergirl1003 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I lost quite a bit on it but after a few weeks I ended up feeling deprived because it's fairly strict. I ended up gaining back the weight I lost. Now I just eat anything in moderation, count calories, and exercise 4X/week and am down 67lbs... closest I've been to my goal in about 8 years and very easy to maintain lifelong. Good luck and best wishes to you! :)

My sister bought me the book and I tried it, but failed immediately. Too many rules for me. It even says it in there that its designed to make you lose as fast as possible so you have the mental momentum to continue. I don't know about you, but I can't go from a bad diet to a super strict diet without a smooth transition. If you can, more power to you. I'd rather count my calories and eat what I want.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    What happens on day 18? :huh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    On day 18 you get to eat BACON...................then gain back 2lbs of water.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Is this a way of eating you can follow for the rest of your life? Through vacations, holidays, birthday parties?

Personally I much prefer a way of eating that is sustainable - slow and steady if need be, but better than losing a good amount, and then putting it all back on because that way of eating just didn't fit into my lifestyle.

Can't make temporary changes and expect permanent results! :bigsmile:

Check out this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Great info there, and it's working great for me and many others - I'm losing fat and inches even though my scale hasn't moved much in the last few months (I'm about a pound away from my "goal weight").
  • krispie67
    krispie67 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I started this on the advice of my Dr to shake up my metabolism and get past my year long plateau. This isn't going to be a way of life for me. I fail to see how it doesn't meet all my daily requirements. The first 17 days is to remove the toxins you have been polluting your body with for years. The cycle 2 you start to add foods back in. I wasn't eating vegetables. Now I am. How is that a negative? I feel i am eating healthier because of it. Sure i could have figured out on my own but the point was, I wasn't. I needed help. I don't feel deprived of anything.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    The first 17 days is to remove the toxins you have been polluting your body with for years.
    Didn't know that Dr. Oz was taking patients.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I think Wondergirl only read my last sentence???
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I lost 6lbs in the same time, just counting calories and exercising. Can I please have your paycheck? *sweetest smile ever*