the paleo solution?

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,024 Member
    Options
    guys, i love this group-hate on these boards, where a diet MUST be BS if it's different from what you do. Paleo is NOT calorie-restrictive! There are plenty of athletes who are paleo.

why don't you step outside your tiny self-built boxes (your comfort zone) and consider that someone else may have a valid, and interesting point before you dismiss it?

Also, Terry Wahls is the mother of my friend Zach Wahls (the kid who was in the news for giving an amazing speech to congress about being a boy scout and the son of two gay parents - was on all the talk shows, has written a book, etc, etc if that rings any bells. Awesome family)

Is there any there any thread you post in where you present evidence in the form of study related data instead of you tube videos of anedotal stories? Paleo can be a healthy diet if you can tolerate the restictiveness of it. It is however no more healthy than any other diet based on eating nutrient dense whole foods.

On the whole MS thing, my wife has had MS for 12 years. You obviously know very little about MS if you think it can be cured. It can go into periods of remission but never cured. It is a progressive disease and the best that can happen is a lack of progression. As with most of the threads you post in, you make yourself look less than credilble when you make these kind of statements and then you want to argue about it with a pile of anecdotal stuff.

Edited to add: Just visited Dr. Wahl's website. I was already familiar with her story. She doesn't claim to be cured. She claims to have stopped progression and regained functionality. All of this is possible and a whole foods diet as well as exercise can certainly help with this. This is not however a "cure". If you wish to be taken seriously, it helps to get your facts straight.

I'll be more careful with my word choice in the future, however, you just agreed that eating paleo gave her an incredibly improved quality of life. That's all I meant to insinuate. And I use anecdotes because they're people I know, and things I've seen with my own eyes. I know that doesn't grant much credibility on a message board so I do understand where you're coming from.
    No he didn't agree with anything. Just for argument sake lets assume the diet did influence her health, you then need to find the mechanism that did that, it's called cause and effect, which are controlled, with multi variables. Paleo isn't a medical term and even if it was from one of the foods that were restricted in the paleo diet, then all other foods that are also on the restriction list could be consumed. It's the same argument with red meat consumption....apparently it's the red meat that causes heart disease and not the other confounders that are so prevalent in that quartile. Science doesn't work the way you think it does.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    guys, i love this group-hate on these boards, where a diet MUST be BS if it's different from what you do. Paleo is NOT calorie-restrictive! There are plenty of athletes who are paleo.

why don't you step outside your tiny self-built boxes (your comfort zone) and consider that someone else may have a valid, and interesting point before you dismiss it?

Also, Terry Wahls is the mother of my friend Zach Wahls (the kid who was in the news for giving an amazing speech to congress about being a boy scout and the son of two gay parents - was on all the talk shows, has written a book, etc, etc if that rings any bells. Awesome family)

Is there any there any thread you post in where you present evidence in the form of study related data instead of you tube videos of anedotal stories? Paleo can be a healthy diet if you can tolerate the restictiveness of it. It is however no more healthy than any other diet based on eating nutrient dense whole foods.

On the whole MS thing, my wife has had MS for 12 years. You obviously know very little about MS if you think it can be cured. It can go into periods of remission but never cured. It is a progressive disease and the best that can happen is a lack of progression. As with most of the threads you post in, you make yourself look less than credilble when you make these kind of statements and then you want to argue about it with a pile of anecdotal stuff.

Edited to add: Just visited Dr. Wahl's website. I was already familiar with her story. She doesn't claim to be cured. She claims to have stopped progression and regained functionality. All of this is possible and a whole foods diet as well as exercise can certainly help with this. This is not however a "cure". If you wish to be taken seriously, it helps to get your facts straight.

I'll be more careful with my word choice in the future, however, you just agreed that eating paleo gave her an incredibly improved quality of life. That's all I meant to insinuate. And I use anecdotes because they're people I know, and things I've seen with my own eyes. I know that doesn't grant much credibility on a message board so I do understand where you're coming from.
    No he didn't agree with anything. Just for argument sake lets assume the diet did influence her health, you then need to find the mechanism that did that, it's called cause and effect, which are controlled, with multi variables. Paleo isn't a medical term and even if it was from one of the foods that were restricted in the paleo diet, then all other foods that are also on the restriction list could be consumed. It's the same argument with red meat consumption....apparently it's the red meat that causes heart disease and not the other confounders that are so prevalent in that quartile. Science doesn't work the way you think it does.
    Precisely. People would be wise to think a little more critically and learn about logic. The diet industry is rife with post hoc rationalisations and appeals to popularity and authority.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

The OP is trying to lose weight. That requires calorie restriction. Losing weight in paleo works because of the calorie restriction. Eliminating entire foods from your diet makes calorie restriction much easier. it is not a better method than any other method of eating. It's just a different method. Barring a medical condition, there is no need for someone to eat or not eat paleo, it is a purely personal choice. It's not a magic weight loss bullet, which is what a lot of people who ask about it on this board are looking for.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm going to jump on the 'friend's mother cured her own MS' BS-train too.

Claims like this do an enormous disservice to patients and doctors alike. First, MS is incurable. It may remit spontaneously, but it is always there. it is a devastating disease for which there is no good treatment or cure available. If diet 'cures it' then OBVIOUSLY doctors and researchers are conspiring to hide the evidence so they can keep making all that filthy money they make, right?

The idea that diet, magic potions, positive thinking, appeals to higher powers or any act or inact by a patient can be curative is repugnant. It implies that everyone else who suffers or dies from that same disease didn't try hard enough, didn't believe the right things, had the wrong attitude or otherwise, by their willful actions, brought illness upon themselves.

Diet can 'cure' some things, but not MS.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

The OP is trying to lose weight. That requires calorie restriction. Losing weight in paleo works because of the calorie restriction. Eliminating entire foods from your diet makes calorie restriction much easier. it is not a better method than any other method of eating. It's just a different method. Barring a medical condition, there is no need for someone to eat or not eat paleo, it is a purely personal choice. It's not a magic weight loss bullet, which is what a lot of people who ask about it on this board are looking for.

This isn't true. There is no calorie restriction with Paleo. There is more to it than weight loss. It's not really about that at all. That's an effect, but that's not the reason to choose a Paleo/primal diet.

The mucusless diet has been around since around the early 60's, as far as being published about. This is really just an organized form of that concept. But, its pretty much that diet, and thats what they call it in various things ive read. If you don't believe in it or whatever, that's fine. But, it has very little to nothing to do with weight loss. It isnt concerned with that aspect at all.
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options

Claims like this do an enormous disservice to patients and doctors alike. First, MS is incurable. It may remit spontaneously, but it is always there. it is a devastating disease for which there is no good treatment or cure available. If diet 'cures it' then OBVIOUSLY doctors and researchers are conspiring to hide the evidence so they can keep making all that filthy money they make, right?

The idea that diet, magic potions, positive thinking, appeals to higher powers or any act or inact by a patient can be curative is repugnant. It implies that everyone else who suffers or dies from that same disease didn't try hard enough, didn't believe the right things, had the wrong attitude or otherwise, by their willful actions, brought illness upon themselves.

Can i copy your penultimate paragraph and just paste it daily into every forum I use please!?
  • RobynC79
    Options

Can i copy your penultimate paragraph and just paste it daily into every forum I use please!?

Haha! Go crazy. The amount of disinfomation on these boards can be rather overwhelming.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    a friend's mother cured her MS by eating paleo. truly an amazing nutrition plan, though tough to implement.
    Uhhh, right. MS is incurable and irreversible.

As for Paleo, it isn't a magic bullet, it's just another in a long line of restrictive diet plans, like Atkins, or South Beach, or Dukan, etc. Short answer, if you don't want to eat the foods that paleo says don't eat, don't eat them. If you have no medical reason for restricting your diet unnecessarily, then don't waste your time with it, as you won't have any more success doing things this way than you will with any other eating plan. It works because it restricts the foods you can and can't eat, which leads to a caloric deficit. No magic involved.

even the Russian judge can't find anything wrong with your post!

judges-score-cards_pan_20134.jpg
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options
    There are also, if one researches, some pretty bad stories of people on paleo developing various health issues and ending up feeling like crap, so it goes both ways.

i'd love to see those studies!
    I'd love to see the study proving that paleo cures incurable diseases too. You spend an awful lot of time demanding proof/evidence from others, all while refusing/failing to back up your own (often incredible/incorrect) claims with anything but dogma or anecdotes.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

Or maybe quitting her old diet gave her improved quality of life, or maybe addressing nutrient deficiencies by eating more veggies gave her improved quality of life. It's unscientific to claim cause and effect from a specific eating plan. There is nothing wrong with anecdotes and case studies, it is the conclusions that are drawn (read: leaped to) that is the problem. Diet modification can certainly successfully treat many conditions, it may well be the case that was the key here.

If someone stops using meth and starts using a prescription drug which improved health? If they stopped using meth and started using a placebo which improved health? If they stopped using a placebo and started using a prescription drug which improved health? If they stopped using meth and started using a complete multivitamin/ mineral/ essential fatty acid supplement which improved health? What about coincidences, people who would have recovered or improved anyway given time or other changes in the lifestyle? That is why we have peer reviewed, double blind, placebo controlled studies and meta analyses so eventually we can say yes! that specific diet/ drug/ supplement works.

It cuts both ways, anecdotal evidence may show paleo makes people sick but I have no doubt in some cases if you pick the diets and lifestyles apart they were not following paleo. I see many cases in my work (lifestyle healthcare) and also here of people who combine restrictive diets with their own tastes or add their own rules in. They don't like nuts, seeds, oily fish and then stop eating all beans, lentils, starchy root vegetables and grains say.
  • primal7
    primal7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Go for it. What do you have to lose by trying it.
    As previously mentioned you can read Mark Sisson Marks Daily Apple https://www.marksdailyapple.com/ He has a shopping list that helps
    You eat seasonal and eat "Real Food"

Biggest take away is that you give up grains which can cause a brain/Energy fog at first. So do not be alarmed and it will pass.
    You might want to read some on how grains influences the body. You might want to read Robb Wolfe book or here is his web site http://robbwolf.com/what-is-the-paleo-diet/

After years of YoYo dieting and eating what the "Typical Diet" my doctor recommended. I started a Paleo/ Primal life style and it is working. I feel better/ The weight is coming off. I am not having those every 2-3 hour cravings for food. I am staying full and just feel healthier.

I think it is just like everything else, you get out of it, what you put into it.

Enjoy the adventure You have nothing to lose and will know more tomorrow than you do today!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

Terri Wahls is a doctor. Terri Wahls saw her symptoms and suffering improve DRAMATICALLY after adopting a paleo diet

If she says that's the variable in her life that changed and led to this improvement, who are you all on a message board to say otherwise? Read the damn story. Take a look at the damn website. What agenda is she pushing other than to say "this may help others with this disease"?

No, this isn't a "scientific study" and it hasn't been verified by the people who stand to lose a lot of money by doing so (the medical industry), but I dare you all to do read this article, watch her speak, hear her story, and then tell me her diet had nothing to do with it

http://freetheanimal.com/2011/12/dont-listen-to-me-listen-to-dr-terry-wahls-cured-from-debilitating-multiple-sclerosis-ms-on-a-paleo-diet.html
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Reddy, it doesn't mater what you say or how you say it, there are a clique of anti paleo, anti low carb, and anti crossfit people who show up on almost every thread and find things to nitpick.

The worst advice is to tell people to not bother trying it because it's a waste of time.

The best diet is not paleo, not low carb, not high carb, not ultra low fat.

The BEST diet is the one you can stick to and succeed. SOME people can't seem to understand that part of the equation.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    As a general rule for fat loss, paleo works quite well when combined with a good training program.

Have a read of
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/what-is-the-paleo-diet.html
    for a good guide!
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Reddy, it doesn't mater what you say or how you say it, there are a clique of anti paleo, anti low carb, and anti crossfit people who show up on almost every thread and find things to nitpick.

The worst advice is to tell people to not bother trying it because it's a waste of time.

The BEST diet is the one you can stick to and succeed. SOME people can't seem to understand that part of the equation.

the issue is that any DIET implies a restriction in what foods you can consume. that's what people object to. it's dangerous information for the newbs to tell them they have to label some foods as "bad" and some foods as "good". that leads to cravings, then binges, and then giving up. in fact, that's one of the principle ideas behind MFP... sustaining the healthy habits that lead to long term weight loss success.

if you came in here and said you only eat soy because you love the flavor and it fills you up and you get all of your nutrients using supplements and vitamins, i don't think anyone would give you any grief.

however if you came in here and insisted that everyone must eat soy and stop eating everything else because soy is such a superior food and all other foods are bad and unhealthy, then you are going to get alot of pushback.

admittedly that's an extreme example, but that's what people are having an issue with. any DIET that assigns labels to food such as "healthy", "good", "unhealthy", or "bad" is going to get alot of criticism for food shaming (for lack of a better phrase).

also, alot of these DIETS that people swear by get results not because of the foods themselves, but because the calorie intake on those DIETS is lower than the calorie burn by their proponents. when those folks credit the foods in their DIET for being the cause of their weight loss while completely ignoring the underlying math, they are going to get pushback from the forum as well.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

Terri Wahls is a doctor. Terri Wahls saw her symptoms and suffering improve DRAMATICALLY after adopting a paleo diet

If she says that's the variable in her life that changed and led to this improvement, who are you all on a message board to say otherwise? Read the damn story. Take a look at the damn website. What agenda is she pushing other than to say "this may help others with this disease"?

No, this isn't a "scientific study" and it hasn't been verified by the people who stand to lose a lot of money by doing so (the medical industry), but I dare you all to do read this article, watch her speak, hear her story, and then tell me her diet had nothing to do with it

http://freetheanimal.com/2011/12/dont-listen-to-me-listen-to-dr-terry-wahls-cured-from-debilitating-multiple-sclerosis-ms-on-a-paleo-diet.html

Do you even read what other people post? No-one is saying her diet did not help.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

GREAT point!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    People on MS are told to make dietary changes if they can. Diet can affect a great variety of conditions. My guess is that most of the changes doctors tell those with MS to make fall under the Paleo guidelines. I'm glad it worked out for your friend. I wouldn't go as far as saying that's evidence that Paleo is superior, but you may be right that it may be beneficial for those with conditions like MS.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/living-with-multiple-sclerosis/healthy-living/nutirtion-and-diet/index.aspx

However, other articles seem to contradict your friend's findings, suggesting that animal fat is linked to the development of MS and that a low fat vegetarian diet is best for MS.

http://www.tcolincampbell.org/courses-resources/article/treating-multiple-sclerosis-with-diet-fact-or-fraud/category/neurology-1/?tx_ttnews[backPid]=76&cHash=9f9351a29afe705778f2fe1b7673b967

I don't post this to make the argument that either way is better, just that it's not clear that at this time, there is "a way."
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Do you even read what other people post? No-one is saying her diet did not help.

here you go:

Uhhh, right. MS is incurable and irreversible.
  • RobynC79
    Options
    *sigh*

Yes, this is what she is saying. But you came here and posted this:
    a friend's mother cured her MS by eating paleo.

So, you posted a claim that is patently false - not only does it misrepresent the observation, it defies logic and all current medical knowledge.

There are certainly people here who hate paleo, and just want to rag on it. And there are people like me - professional biomedical researchers who will point out errors of fact regarding disease and physiology.

A cure is not the same as a remission, improvement or functional management. So perhaps if you edited your misleading post, we'd all go away, and you won't have to *sigh* so dramatically. Win win.