Juicing

Options
Does anyone know if juicing will help with my weight loss? I have a really good friend who does it and has lost 70 pounds. I've been looking it up on the internet and they say that juicing your veggies and fruits helps curve your appetite. I just want a few more testimonies b4 I go buy a juicer because those things are expensive.

Replies

• fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that juicing is nothing more than liquid sugar...but I decided to go out and get a juicer two weeks ago anyways because I'm obstinant like that :)

I wouldn't say it curbs my hunger.....I'm really trying to focus on making sure that I get my minimum 6 veggies and 2 fruit on top of the juice. I really don't want to do more than 3 of my servings via juice because you lose out on the fibre (which makes you feel fuller and helps digestion).

I'm also currently at 2 fruits and 1 veggie via juice, but am working towards full veggie juice.

All that being said, what I can tell you is that I feel fantastic after drinking the juice.....I don't need to drink coffee in the morning anymore...my juice fully wakes me up. Because of the variety of fruits and veggies I'm probably getting a much fuller range of nutrients. I could also add protein powder to it, giving me a full breakfast in a few seconds.
  • EmilyStrick
    EmilyStrick Posts: 267
    Options
    we got a juicer...luckily it was a free hand-me-down from my uncle. i like drinking fresh juice...my husband and son REALLY like it. but here would be my suggestion: don't buy a regular juicer. there is a blender that you can put whole fruit and veg in that will blend it all up to a slightly thicker juice. i can't remember the name of it, but montel williams had a special on his show about it once, so i'm sure you could google "montel williams blender" or something. the reason i suggest this is that with a typical juicer (we have the jack lalane), you end up with a butt-load of left over pulp from whatever you juice. you can use the pulp in recipes and stuff (i've even heard it's good to mix into your dog's food, but mine wouldn't eat it), but it is A LOT of pulp, so you would always end up throwing some away...unless, of course, you have a compost pile. and, the juicer is A LOT of clean up, whereas with a blender, you could just rinse it out a couple times before you wash it, and never have any waste. there is also a school of thought that not consuming the pulp is reducing your intake of the most vital nutrients and cooking the pulp kills some of those nutrients anyway. so, unless you have a compost pile you want to add to daily, i would try to find that blender. it's expensive, but if i had the money, i would get it...and probably will when i do have the money. just my two cents!!!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I don't know that it will curb your hunger. It is very beneficial to getting nutrients into your system, provided you are using the freshest produce. Of course, fruit juices will be very high in sugars. There are alot of benefits to juicing, it was a topic in a nutrition course I took last semester. I'm a little sad that I sold the textbook at the moment or I would be able to give you better information.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    we got a juicer...luckily it was a free hand-me-down from my uncle. i like drinking fresh juice...my husband and son REALLY like it. but here would be my suggestion: don't buy a regular juicer. there is a blender that you can put whole fruit and veg in that will blend it all up to a slightly thicker juice. i can't remember the name of it, but montel williams had a special on his show about it once, so i'm sure you could google "montel williams blender" or something. the reason i suggest this is that with a typical juicer (we have the jack lalane), you end up with a butt-load of left over pulp from whatever you juice. you can use the pulp in recipes and stuff (i've even heard it's good to mix into your dog's food, but mine wouldn't eat it), but it is A LOT of pulp, so you would always end up throwing some away...unless, of course, you have a compost pile. and, the juicer is A LOT of clean up, whereas with a blender, you could just rinse it out a couple times before you wash it, and never have any waste. there is also a school of thought that not consuming the pulp is reducing your intake of the most vital nutrients and cooking the pulp kills some of those nutrients anyway. so, unless you have a compost pile you want to add to daily, i would try to find that blender. it's expensive, but if i had the money, i would get it...and probably will when i do have the money. just my two cents!!!

I was just at Bed, Bath, and Beyond this morning and they had this huge display of the Montel Williams blender. I didn't notice the cost because I had to tunnel my vision so I could get what I came for and get out without needing to pull out the Visa:laugh: That store sucks me in!

Anyway, I think I'm going to grab one of my 20% off cupons and go pick up one for myself. Thanks for your input!

Edit: bad grammar, lol.
  • tmpt8tns
    tmpt8tns Posts: 1
    Options
    Juicing helps but not the key component in loosing weight. It’s all about staying focused and making healthy choices. Personally I would recommend that you go to Target to buy a juicer. I got mine for $60.00 bucks. It’s not the best juicer but does its job well. I love juicing but it is a lot of working doing it. It takes minimum of 20 to 30min of my morning from preparing the Veggies, drinking my juice to cleaning the mess. It is more of a hassle then you know but I love it. I do it because of the lack of veggies, vitamins and minerals in my diet. I do not juice fruits and if I do I only juice an apple and or a lemon to help with the taste. If your goal is to loose weight then stick to working out and keeping track of your daily caloric intake. You only start to see the benefits of juicing after 3 to 4 weeks. It's a commitment but if you are ready to treat your body right then go for it and buy one.
  • khillman77
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I think I will add the juicer to my workout regiment! I'm doing pretty good I lost 5 pounds this week, but of course it is the weekend and that is my downfall.
  • khillman77
    Options
    :smooched: ok i bought the juicer I'll keep you updated!!!!
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I need a juicer too. Which brand did you get? How do you know what the best is?
  • noseovertail
    Options
    My husband juices for breakfast & lunch and then eats a cooked dinner. He enjoys it a lot. If you make sure you get enough vegetables and don't only juice fruit it can be very healthy!
  • khillman77
    Options
    I bought the Jack Lalane!! It was recommended by a good friend of mine that lost 70 pounds juicing and walking everyday!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    so, here's the thing. Juice is fine, but it's basically the fruit or veggie, minus much of the fiber (the pulp).

Juicing is basically a form of processing, just like the process of turning whole wheat flour into white flour (well, not just like, but it has similarities), juicing can destroy some of the benefits of fresh fruit and veggies.

So things to keep in mind if you make your own juice.

1) keeping the pulp is important, with no pulp you get no fiber, if it's fruit, removing fiber is a good way to spike your blood sugar (almost never a good thing).

2) Juicing basically does part of what your stomach does, which means less processing time for food and that means faster return of hunger.

3) if you don't drink juice IMMEDIATELY (and I mean literally immediately) then you're not going to get the vitamins and antioxidants that juicing pundants claim, because many vitamins are extremely susceptible to UV light and can die in seconds after being exposed. so worst case (I know this sounds stupid but it's true) is you should only juice in a low light area or an area with the shades down, and you should try to put it in a cup/glass that's NOT clear.

4) You really can't use juice as a replacement for all your veggies. Firstly, some veggies don't really juice well (I.E. peppers and broccoli are disgusting as a pulped drink, trust me!), and second, pulping veggies destroys (as mentioned above) a lot of the fiber strands, which defeats the purpose of ingesting complex carbs to a degree.

None of these are show stoppers, I'm all for using the juicer, but people like Jack Lelane like to tout juicing as the new way to stay healthy, I can tell you, you don't lose 70 lbs juicing, you lose 70 lbs by reducing calories, eating healthy (I hope) and exercising, and MAINTAINING that new diet and exercise.
  • jw17695
    Options
    I bought the Jack Lalane!! It was recommended by a good friend of mine that lost 70 pounds juicing and walking everyday!

I've seen the infomercial on that one. Is it as good as they make it out to be?
  • noseovertail
    Options
    I just wanted to add that we have a Breville (this one: http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BJE200XL-700-Watt-Compact-Fountain/dp/B000MDHH06/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_ex) and it works great for us. I want to one day get a Vitamix, that way the pulp gets utilized as well.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    LOL - I wish I'd read this before trying to juice a red pepper..... :) The taste was with me for the rest of the day....Yuck...I'll be eating my peppers whole every time now....
    so, here's the thing. Juice is fine, but it's basically the fruit or veggie, minus much of the fiber (the pulp).

Juicing is basically a form of processing, just like the process of turning whole wheat flour into white flour (well, not just like, but it has similarities), juicing can destroy some of the benefits of fresh fruit and veggies.

So things to keep in mind if you make your own juice.

1) keeping the pulp is important, with no pulp you get no fiber, if it's fruit, removing fiber is a good way to spike your blood sugar (almost never a good thing).

2) Juicing basically does part of what your stomach does, which means less processing time for food and that means faster return of hunger.

3) if you don't drink juice IMMEDIATELY (and I mean literally immediately) then you're not going to get the vitamins and antioxidants that juicing pundants claim, because many vitamins are extremely susceptible to UV light and can die in seconds after being exposed. so worst case (I know this sounds stupid but it's true) is you should only juice in a low light area or an area with the shades down, and you should try to put it in a cup/glass that's NOT clear.

4) You really can't use juice as a replacement for all your veggies. Firstly, some veggies don't really juice well (I.E. peppers and broccoli are disgusting as a pulped drink, trust me!), and second, pulping veggies destroys (as mentioned above) a lot of the fiber strands, which defeats the purpose of ingesting complex carbs to a degree.

None of these are show stoppers, I'm all for using the juicer, but people like Jack Lelane like to tout juicing as the new way to stay healthy, I can tell you, you don't lose 70 lbs juicing, you lose 70 lbs by reducing calories, eating healthy (I hope) and exercising, and MAINTAINING that new diet and exercise.
  • mrsbojangles
    Options
    The Vita-mix is the way to go if you really want serious nutrition-packed juice. They are VERY expensive, but worth every penny.
  • irismoon
    irismoon Posts: 83
    Options
    I don't own a juicer, but my mom did when I was younger. She used it for more of a fasting detox deal then a weight loss deal. It did, however, cause her to loose weight over time. It wasn't fast results though. Not sure she even realized it was happening, but I noticed it since it was summer time and I was home with her all the time. Ever since I've wanted a juicer, but I have no place to put one. I would also most likely forget I own it. I'm bad like that. lol.

Good luck with all the juicing. I'll stick to my V8 drinks. :wink:
  • JennCh
    JennCh Posts: 63
    Options
    Juicing red peppers along with other veggies or a fruit would help with the taste. I've been juicing for over a year, though not on a daily basis, and I love trying the different combinations. My boys also love juicing, and this is a great way to get them to try different veggies. We go light on the fruits because of the sugar issue, but a green apple or a pear thrown in with a bunch of veggies makes for a tasty juice.
  • khillman77
    Options
    ok day four of my juicing, it;s really not that bad...I'm actually enjoying it!! Weird huh
  • jw17695
    Options
    Now I'll have to put the juicer on my wedding registry. Keep me updated.
  • khillman77
    Options
    Day five of juicing..I'm actually enjoyiny it because of the veggies I normally wouldn't touch I'm actually consuming them. If you put a little fruit in there you can't taste the bitter veggies!! Two thumbs up for the juicer!!