new to this....

lala25
lala25 Posts: 9
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi to everyone on here, I'm fairly new to the site but was after some help. Using the tools on here I have worked out my daily calories should be around 1370. However using active.com I have worked out they should be 2010. Thats a massive difference so I was wondering what you guys think.
I'm 5'10 and currently 153lbs and looking to end up around 140lbs.I have a job where I'm mainly sat down all day although I do a short gym sessions followed by boxercise class twice a week and then the gym 2-3 additional times a week.
Thanks in advance x

Replies

• fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,064 Member
    The 1370 is before your exercise right?

2010 sounds like what you need to maintain weight without losing....as you exercise, you'll increase your cal intake here (so if you're doing 600 cal worth of exercise daily, you might end up around that amount).
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    I'm 5'10" @ 167 right now and I have my goals set to lose a pound a week. It puts me at 1440 calories a day. This doesn't include my exercise calories. Maybe you are setting your goals too high. You have to remember that it is a little more difficult when you don't have much to lose and being tall doesn't make it any easier. Try to keep that in mind. :wink:
  • Dlhigh
    Dlhigh Posts: 72 Member
    1370 sounds about right to me. Add about 640 calories burned by exercise, then you will be up to 2010. The benefits of exercise is that you get to eat more.

141041.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lala25
    lala25 Posts: 9
    Thanks for your replies the 1370 was before exercise but 2010 seems too high. I'm aiming to be 140 within 12 weeks so thought 1lb a week was realistic. May need to up the calories slightly though
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Keep in mind that the calorie goal on MFP already deducts a safe amount (deficit) in order for you to lose weight. If you entered a 1 pound per week loss as your goal, MFP would have deducted 500 calories from your daily needs (500 x 7 days = 3500 - the calories it takes to lose 1 pound). So, MFP has calculated your maintenance at 1370+500=1870. That's 140 calories lower (than the other site) and could be differences in the formula used by MFP, the activity level entered, the starting weight, etc. Either way, it's fairly close.

MFP wants you to eat your exercise calories in order to maintain that deficit (500, in your case). Many of us eat 'most 'of them, in case we miscalculated how much we burned. So, if you burn 350 on the elliptical, you get to eat 1720. I use mine by adding a small snack (protein bar) right after my workout and bit of protein to breakfast (almonds or peanut butter or a boiled egg).
This discussion has been closed.