protein shakes

Options
Does anyone know if it is alright to replace a meal with a protein shake?

Replies

• shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I think its fine. I usually do it at breakfast.
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    I have one for breakfast every morning. I definately get more out of it (nutritionally) then I would from grabbing something else.
  • Arianna52
    Arianna52 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just read the labels, many of those are just vitamins with loads of sugar and unknown substances. One friend told me that some carry the same stuff like in the swimming pools.
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    One a day, max, in my opinion. While most protein shakes have the right balance of protein, carbs, and added vitamins, they contain either a lot of sugar or artificial sweetener, and they don't contain any phytonutrients that are so important.

A great alternative would be to add a scoop of plain unflavored whey protein (I like Jarrow) to 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries,2-4 oz of orange or pomegranate juice (I usually add 2 oz of each) and 1/2 scoop of ground flaxseed, and You'll get tons of vitamins, proteins, the right carbs, fiber, phytonutrients, and Omega 3's. If you still need some sweetener, add a few drops of stevia.

BTW, a bag of frozen berries lasts a LONG time, as does a 2lb jug of whey protein and flaxseed....the antioxidant smoothie above costs less than the average protein shake. Make sure the juices are 100% fruit, not a mix of apple, grape juice, etc. Trader Joes has a great organic 100% pomegranate juice for around $5, that lasts me about 3 weeks at 2 oz per smoothie.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    That sounds really really yummy - probably tastes better than the protein shakes I've tried.....

I tend to juice veggies and add a banana and protein powder, but really interested in the flax seed as well...I'm going to try that
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    but really interested in the flax seed as well...I'm going to try that
    [/quote]

I use Flax USA that I buy at Costco. It lasts about...a year:-) And it can sit on the shelf, because it's cold-pressed. No need to grind it up. Here's a link to their info and some cool facts about flax
    http://www.flaxusa.com/
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I've been told you should drink a protein shake after working out to help build LEAN muscle! I have been drinking one right after my work out- more as a snack than a meal. :)
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine once in a while, but I personally can't do it. I do not feel satisfied unless I actually get to chew my food!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I was way under on protein and got some at my Good Earth store the other day. I got the Natural Edge chocolate whey protein. It's very good, and only 1 sugar per serving. 20g of protein each scoop, too! A couple of those each day and I'm set. :)
  • anward1
    anward1 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks everyone, the one that I am using is from BSN it is
    200cal
    6g fat
    2g sat fat
    15g carbs
    2g sugar
    22g protein
    5g fiber
    220mg sodium
    90mg calcium
    55mg cholesterol
    90mg phosphorus

Can be used with milk or water and it tastes great
    170mg potassium
  • bluexiii
    bluexiii Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi!

I have posted a couple replies to a similar topic here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/84572-protein-shakes-building-muscle-staying-lean

Check out those posts for a little more of my opinion on this matter. I will give a short break down here though:

There are two kinds of protein, fast absorbing (whey proteins are considered fast absorbing) and slow absorbing(egg, soy based proteins). You can tell based on the main ingredients on the label of the package what type of protein it is.

Fast absorbing proteins should be taken following a workout, while slow absorbing proteins should be taken ideally 2 hours after a workout or after dinner, so your body has ample time to absorb the nutrients. Breakfast time is also an OK time for this.

In terms of supplementing protein shakes for a meal, they make MRP (meal replacement) shakes for this purpose. These are generally higher in carbs/fiber/vitamins/etc. to make up for things you are missing by not having a balanced meal. I also find they are more filling than your standard shake.

Personally, I keep two different proteins on hand at all times. I use BSN Syntha 6 protein as a slow absorbing protein in the evenings, and I have the EAS Myoplex MRP packets to use after my afternoon workouts.

Your best bet is to either try a MRP for either breakfast or lunch (will probably leave you unsatisfied at dinner), or try making a smoothie with a regular protein powder. I have tried 5 or 6 different proteins, and BSN Syntha 6 is BY FAR the best tasting protein on the market, and is surprisingly low in both sugar and fat content.

For a filling, tasty protein smoothie, try the the following:

1 scoop of BSN Syntha 6 Strawberry or vanilla flavored protein
    1/2 cup forzen strawberries
    1/2 cup frozen raspberries
    1 cup blueberries
    1 banana
    Orange Juice to get your desired texture and consistency

Good luck!
  • 2bskinnyagain1978
    Options
    I bought the jillian michaels protein powder at walmart .. i usually add it to one of my yoplait smotthies the vanilla whey is good in it it is only 100 cal and when u add it to the smoothie it comes out to like 210 calories added to half a bag of yoplait smoothie and 1 cup of skim milk .. but from what i have heard u r suppose to have a whey protein before u work out then afterwards have a banana or something like that to replenish u from your work out the protein helps u through the work out etc.. so many mixed opinions on this though.. i just feel fuller in the am if i drink my protein with my smoothie before i work out..
  • pyincessflossy
    Options
    ive started having on e for breakfast with fruit the one i have is calle phd diet whey its a weight loss on about 90 cals not sure on the reat i need to check it out and put the details on here i dont see the harm in it at all
  • Dumspiro
    Dumspiro Posts: 28
    Options
    I generally follow the 'don't eat 3 hours before bed' rule. Would consuming a slow absorbing protein shake before bed mess with absorption? If I'm trying to lose weight, should I only use the slow absorbing in the morning? Does it matter?
    Thanks!
  • s_sanchez
    s_sanchez Posts: 96
    Options
    Bump
  • bluexiii
    bluexiii Posts: 36
    Options
    I generally follow the 'don't eat 3 hours before bed' rule. Would consuming a slow absorbing protein shake before bed mess with absorption? If I'm trying to lose weight, should I only use the slow absorbing in the morning? Does it matter?
    Thanks!

Not eating before bed is a myth about weight loss. Did you know your body actually burns more calories sleeping then it does watching TV?

The reason people say not to eat before bed is either for 2 reasons:

1) Because of the type of food that is generally eaten before bed (unhealthy snacks such as buttery popcorn)

2) Depending on what/when you eat, it could get your body going and make it hard for you to fall asleep.

As long as your staying in your calorie limit, a protein shake a couple hours before bed is no problem
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    bump