Collard Greens

Options
MissJanet55
MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
I got a bunch of collard greens in my organic box today and have never cooked them before. I have looked at different recipes with cooking times anywhere from 45 minutes to 4 hours. Anyone have any great ways to cook collard greens?

Replies

• SammyKatt13
    SammyKatt13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I would like to know too since I've been craving them all day!
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Why cook them? Wash, chop into bite sized pieces, and use in a salad! You can also use them to make various veggie wraps.

When I DO cook them, I just gently steam them for abut five minutes.
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I cooked some yesterday! They were yummy, although I'm not sure if I did it right.

I put them in a pan and let the shrink down. Then I put in some soy sauce and some pepper flakes and some garlic salt (I would have used actual garlic if I had some). It's pretty simple.

Or you could cook them with some bacon grease. I hear that's mighty tasty!
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't like them raw.. but much like AuntieMC, when I cook them, I just gently simmer them for abut five minutes or so. I then drain them and add a little butter, salt and pepper, and a little splash of texas pete's pepper sauce. (Where I'm from you ALWAYS put pepper sauce on collards and to me they don't taste quite right without it.)
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Get some smoked turkey. In a large pot, put some olive oil garlic and smoked turkey or pork (neck, leg or use bacon if you can't find smoked meat). Cook for about 30 minutes. Wash and cut up your greens, check for worms. Discard leaves with larges holes and the stem. Add the greens to the pot along with chicken stock and simmer for a few hours. Salt, pepper, Sugar, Red Pepper to taste. They will cook down, so if you want a decent amount get like 4 or 5 bunches.
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Get some smoked turkey. In a large pot, put some olive oil garlic and smoked turkey or pork (neck, leg or use bacon if you can't find smoked meat). Cook for about 30 minutes. Wash and cut up your greens, check for worms. Discard leaves with larges holes and the stem. Add the greens to the pot along with chicken stock and simmer for a few hours. Salt, pepper, Sugar, Red Pepper to taste. They will cook down, so if you want a decent amount get like 4 or 5 bunches.

Don't forget the vinegar and hot sauce! YUM! :happy:
  • lexielexie40
    Options
    I love your healthy recipe. I will cook this for Sunday dinner. I usually cook collardgreens the old fashion way with pork and Crisco. lol
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Wash them. Chop them up. Cover with water. I usually add a little salt (about 1tsp) and 1 to 2 T sugar (to take away the bitter taste they sometime have). You can add a bouillon cube or a soup bone ( yes, I am from the South). I like to add other green like mustards, turnips, spinach (fresh or frozen) kale. I cook until the greens are withered and soft. I like to add garlic to mine.

If you have the calories, you can cook 2-3 strips of bacon. (You may use ham, ham bone, or neckbones. Then add the washed, chopped greens. I usually bring them to a boil and reduce the heat. I usually cook mine for 1to 1 1/2 hours or put in the crockpot on low for 4 hours.

Enjoy.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    Wash them. Chop them up. Cover with water. I usually add a little salt (about 1tsp) and 1 to 2 T sugar (to take away the bitter taste they sometime have). You can add a bouillon cube or a soup bone ( yes, I am from the South). I like to add other green like mustards, turnips, spinach (fresh or frozen) kale. I cook until the greens are withered and soft. I like to add garlic to mine.

If you have the calories, you can cook 2-3 strips of bacon. (You may use ham, ham bone, or neckbones. Then add the washed, chopped greens. I usually bring them to a boil and reduce the heat. I usually cook mine for 1to 1 1/2 hours or put in the crockpot on low for 4 hours.

Enjoy.

I love mixed greens together. My family is from the Carolinas, but I'm living in Toronto now. I'm lucky if I can find one good bunch of collards, can forget about mustard and turnip greens here.
  • sjeannot
    sjeannot Posts: 143
    Options
    Yes! I heard the best way to eat them are raw. Use them to eat as a the leaves for yoru salad and add your tomoateos and other toppings to it. I am not the best at cookign them even though I love ocllards, but when I do cook them, I add a little salt and garlic and boil. Don't boil for too long htough because it will lose the important nutrients it contains and you want to make sure your body gets what it deserves from the foods you eat; especially in vegetables. Raw though is the best way to have it.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    With pepper vinegar.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    This is the first time I ever heard anyone ever mention eating raw collard greens. I guess you can eat anything raw, but they taste so good cooked, why mess up a good thing
  • aryya
    aryya Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Why cook them? Wash, chop into bite sized pieces, and use in a salad! You can also use them to make various veggie wraps.

When I DO cook them, I just gently steam them for abut five minutes.

Pretty darn good as a tortilla/wrap replacement.. Well, no tortilla, but way less carbs anyway ;)
  • ropermom
    ropermom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Saute cut up turkey bacon, turkey ham, minced onion in the bottom of the pot. (Use a little water or oil to stop from sticking)
    Roll up the collard leaves a few at a time and cut in thin "shreds". Stir these in with the other stuff in the bottom of the pot.
    Fill pot with water just to cover collards, bring to a boil and simmer about 30 min. Salt to taste.
    Don't forget the cornbread, which should be made while the collards are simmering! Put them in a bowl with plenty of the liquor (juice) and eat each bite with a chunk of cornbread sitting on it. (Now I'm HUNGRY!!)
  • ropermom
    Options
    I also use collards and swiss chard in my stir fry as a replacement for bok choy cabbage, (alot cheaper, too, since it's in my garden year round!!)
    I shred some and put it in the soup bowl before pouring in the hot soup.
    I add it to salads.
  • MissJanet55
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone! I cant wait to try them!
  • ropermom
    Options
    I made some today (had to after that post yesterday!!!) I of course added much extra bacon at end. DELICIOUS!!
    Hope yours are good, too! Let us know!
  • nubian218
    nubian218 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    pretty weird never herard of eatting raw collard greens......
  • miller32807
    miller32807 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I ever heard anyone ever mention eating raw collard greens. I guess you can eat anything raw, but they taste so good cooked, why mess up a good thing

I'm from GA and this is the first time I've ever heard of eating them raw also. lol I cook them very much like you posted, with smoked meat and simmer for a couple hours (we put some vinegar in the water while boiling to help with the bitter taste), and I usually add a little hot sauce to them while they are cooking. OMG, southern cooking at it's best!!! lol
  • MissJanet55
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. They were delicious, and I think they will become a regular part of my diet!