HRM Question or two....

Options
OK so with seeing the threads about HRMs I decided to pull mine out... hadn't used it in forever and had to recalculate everything. I did notice it says to wear it above your heart. I am a heavy chested woman (36DD) and so I've been wearing it under my breasts and under my Enell sports bra. Should I try to wear it above? I don't know if that will interfere with my jogging, and rub me under my arms or rub my arms? Also...It's about 100 off what the treadmill says I've burned. 32 mins on the treadmill Alternating mins walk at 3.8, and then run at 5I know I need to take the HRM read out. I think I read somewhere that 1 mile = 100 cals burned, this is what the HRM is telling me.. so is this accurate? Or will it be more accurate if I wear it above my heart??? I'm so confused!!!

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    You correct on the placement of the HRM. Keep where you have had it.

Trust the HRM for the calories, not the treadmill.
  • pdxrunner
    pdxrunner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a similar build and that's where I where mine too - it's also where the manufacturer suggests you wear it for best results. As for the calories - everyone is different. I will say this though that when I use my monitor and compare it to a machine I'm on, the machine is almost always higher in the reading of calories burned. I go with my HRM reading because it has the most information and is measuring my HR without interference from other devices.

HRMs are great for tracking how hard you work and how much you improve in fitness - enjoy it!
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    You should wear your strap right below your chest.
  • sportsqueen32
    Options
    Hi there...In the manual for my Polar F6 it states to wear it under you bra above your sternum. I think that any woman would be extremely uncomfortable wearing it over their breasts, even a 36B like myself...lol . I also have a book called "Precision Heartrate Training" and the man on the cover is wearing it exactly where the manual says to wear it. Also definitely go with the HRM for calories burned. If you notice next time you are on the treadmill, start it up and don't step on. Wait a minute or 2 and you will see the calories burned counter will actually go up without even being on it. That was my last straw with that, I bought a HRM the same day. My HRM actually links to the treadmill for HR which is good for me cuz I have my i-pod so loud I can't hear it beeping for me to lower my HR.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I also wear mine in the same place (38D) and always use my HRM calories instead of the machine calories. My treadmill only gives me credit for half of what my HRM tells me!
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    OK so with seeing the threads about HRMs I decided to pull mine out... hadn't used it in forever and had to recalculate everything. I did notice it says to wear it above your heart.

The technical writer must have been lying on his/her back or in a pair of inversion boots at the time.:wink:
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    OK so with seeing the threads about HRMs I decided to pull mine out... hadn't used it in forever and had to recalculate everything. I did notice it says to wear it above your heart. I am a heavy chested woman (36DD) and so I've been wearing it under my breasts and under my Enell sports bra. Should I try to wear it above? I don't know if that will interfere with my jogging, and rub me under my arms or rub my arms? Also...It's about 100 off what the treadmill says I've burned. 32 mins on the treadmill Alternating mins walk at 3.8, and then run at 5I know I need to take the HRM read out. I think I read somewhere that 1 mile = 100 cals burned, this is what the HRM is telling me.. so is this accurate? Or will it be more accurate if I wear it above my heart??? I'm so confused!!!

My wife is a 38D and we have had the same problem with putting on the HRM. It wasn't giving a constant acurate reading. We did some research and you can also re-locate the censors on the middle of your bra strap on the back.

As far a tracking you calories burned, I still use MFP even that it is lower than what my HRM shows.

Good Luck.