Anyone into CrossFit?

Options
13»

Replies

• CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    ... Improper form for most of the lifts and kipping pull up...come on....

I edited this comment to show the part I want to respond to.

I have seen videos on youtube of some crossfit gyms and this *is* something I find concerning. Proper form is really important or else you will be injured. I saw this video of some crossfit gym where they were encouraging young teen girls to do crazy lifts with 125#, but the girls' form was all sketchy and the coach was cheering them on. That's bad badness. But as i said in my earlier post, I use proper form. I use what i have learned from powerlifting and incorporate that into my crossfit exercises. I mean, really, what is Bear Complex? It's 5x7 of the following lifts done in succession non-stop:

power clean (or DL and hanging clean)
    squat
    push press
    squat
    push press

It's not some big new copyright invention. But you tell some 11 year old scrawn girl to power clean 125# and cheer her on while she does crappy dead lift after dead lift, you are not a good coach.

But I want to assume this is an aberration from the normal Crossfit Gym standard. Maybe I'm wrong.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

I have seen videos on youtube of some crossfit gyms and this *is* something I find concerning. Proper form is really important or else you will be injured. I saw this video of some crossfit gym where they were encouraging young teen girls to do crazy lifts with 125#, but the girls' form was all sketchy and the coach was cheering them on. That's bad badness. But as i said in my earlier post, I use proper form. I use what i have learned from powerlifting and incorporate that into my crossfit exercises. I mean, really, what is Bear Complex? It's 5x7 of the following lifts done in succession non-stop:

squat
    push press
    squat
    push press

It's not some big new copyright invention. But you tell some 11 year old scrawn girl to power clean 125# and cheer her on while she does crappy dead lift after dead lift, you are not a good coach.

But I want to assume this is an aberration from the normal Crossfit Gym standard. Maybe I'm wrong.

From my experience this is NOT the typical CrossFit gym standard. You can find all kinds of videos and pictures of people doing things with really poor form at any gym.

I always recommend people drop in at as many boxes in their area as they can to get a good representation of what's available and also to RESEARCH what proper form actually is for a lot of these complex lifts. If there is a gym available with coaches that have higher level certifications beyond the Level 1 cert or with an Olympic lifting cert that's probably the better route to take. Also, anyone could youtube a video of a lot of the lifts and realize when their coach is spouting nonsense.
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

squat
    push press
    squat
    push press

From my experience this is NOT the typical CrossFit gym standard. You can find all kinds of videos and pictures of people doing things with really poor form at any gym.

I always recommend people drop in at as many boxes in their area as they can to get a good representation of what's available and also to RESEARCH what proper form actually is for a lot of these complex lifts. If there is a gym available with coaches that have higher level certifications beyond the Level 1 cert or with an Olympic lifting cert that's probably the better route to take. Also, anyone could youtube a video of a lot of the lifts and realize when their coach is spouting nonsense.

Agree - I mention a while back that our coach checks everyone's form with a couple sample reps and adjusts the weight accordingly before any WOD is started. If you're doing it wrong, he will correct you, reduce the weight, or have you do something else. If you haven't gone to Powerlifting class which is separate once a month, you're not allowed to do certain moves in certain WOD's (power cleans, snatches, etc etc). His certs are Olympic lifting and powerlifting.

As long as you research that they're not telling you a bunch of crap like shutupandlift just said, I think it's fantastic.
  • mostein
    mostein Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have never done crossfit but I think everyone still needs to use common sense when starting a workout regime. Obviously if a person hasn't done much exercise they shouldn't just join crossfit or attempt to run a marathon. You work your way up until eventually you are fit enough and experienced enough to take on more difficult and complex workout programs. When I started taking tabata for example I thought I was going to puke 10 minutes into the class now I have moved on to something that is more challenging for me because my body adapted to the tabata and I am more fit and able to workout at a higher intensity. Jumping into programs that your body isn't ready for is probably what accounts for injuries as well as feeling overwhelmed and like you aren't good enough to be in the class.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    I live and breath Crossfit....it is absolutely addicting and is just as safe in my opinion

Try it for yourself and you will become addicted

If you have questions ask away
  • Marianke
    Options
    Agree. There is a lot of lifting in my cross fit work outs. I have build stamina and toned up.
    But for cardio I recently added cross country skiing to the work out a few times a week. An hour up hill and down hill cross country skiing is a great cardio work out. What a burn, and I feel awesome afterwards. Considering our winter showed a little late in Alaska, and has come and gone (we got some great fresh powder lately), makes for a perfect additional work out. I do not resort to cross fit alone. But I do love it!
    You do have to apply cross fit, where it fits best for you. That is why I started with a cross fit trainer, thank God for free, on base. A perk I enjoy as the spouse of a US Service Member.
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    "Anyone into CrossFit?"

Me! Just started my second week and I'm really enjoying it. I like the variety. I like the challenge. I would never craft workouts like this or complete them on my own. I love my trainer's careful instruction, spotting and coaching. I got a 30-day starter deal for me and a friend/co-worker but am 90% sure I'm going to continue afterwards. CrossFit is not for everyone (I actually talked another co-worker OUT of doing CrossFit), and that's alright. I'm not stupid; I'm not going to do anything reckless or dangerous. This particular Box is more friendly than competitive, at least at my time of day - 6 a.m. The evening classes seem more Type-A. I like that the WOD is scaled for us (we're both newbies: teachers in our 40s) and we're not expected to do crazy, unrealistic workouts with unbearable weight or speed. If some CrossFit Boxes are aggressive with the exercises and Paleo stuff, well that's them. As with anything in life, people and places vary. Humans are like that.
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have never done crossfit but I think everyone still needs to use common sense when starting a workout regime. Obviously if a person hasn't done much exercise they shouldn't just join crossfit or attempt to run a marathon. You work your way up until eventually you are fit enough and experienced enough to take on more difficult and complex workout programs. When I started taking tabata for example I thought I was going to puke 10 minutes into the class now I have moved on to something that is more challenging for me because my body adapted to the tabata and I am more fit and able to workout at a higher intensity. Jumping into programs that your body isn't ready for is probably what accounts for injuries as well as feeling overwhelmed and like you aren't good enough to be in the class.

Tabata of any exercise...perfect sub for boring cardio

"Cardio..you mean lift weights faster?" ... love that saying lol

Nothing against Crossfit, I just think the community is hilarous. Not to mention yes there are a lot that injure themselves because of lack of knowledge, true with anything of course I suppose. Everyone has different goals, if you want to be ok at everything instead of great at something do crossfit.