any work from home mfp people out there - need some friends

Options
hiyah. need some friends as not finding this easy. i work from home so have easy access to food all the time. i am now trying to eat healthier but always feel hungry. might be all in the mind as i do not have colleagues to distract me. i have also started level 2 of the 30 day shred as found all the excuses why i cant get to a gym. need some help on my quest to lose weight please.

Replies

• Rodamort
    Rodamort Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I started working from home just over 5 years ago. My inactivity dropped to hardly nothing. I could roll out of my bed and walk 20 feet to my computer where I would sit for the next 8-10 hours. And then to top it off my hobbies were playing online games so I would spend another 2-5 hours at night after the kids went to bed sitting in front of my computer. I noticed that since I stopped going into the office I quickly added on the weight. I got up to my heaviest weight in July last year at 330 lbs. 330 lbs isn't bad if you are 7 foot tall, but at 5'6" there is only so much weight you can carry around. And I realized I needed to do something.

In almost 6 months (180 days straight and counting) I have lost over 75 lbs and am half way to my goal. Feel free to add me to your friends. Even though you are always around food, it is totally possible to drop the weight and be successful at regaining your life!!! WTG on starting level 2 of the 30 day shred!! Log your food EVERY day! Do the best you can. If you go over one day on your calories, or even two, get back on the next day and start over. Don't dwell on the past. Focus on the day, or even just the meal or snack to make it through the day. Eventually the cravings will slow down and you find it is easier to stay within your calorie goals each day. Once you get that under control, start moving... Looks like you have that under control, but keep it up.

Like I said, feel free to add me, but if you don't, good luck to you in changing your life!!! You can succeed!!!!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    oh wow you have done well. thanks for your words of encouragement. going to try and keep it up
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Hello I am a stay at home mom and I sell Avon and will hopefully learn photograghy lol so syes i work from home to and am allways around food lol
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mum and also do my degree from home so can understand how hard it can be not to snack all day long.
  • seamatt
    seamatt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hello

I work from home a lot of the time at the moment. I find the key is to have set times to eat. The other really good snack is pickled onions or gherkins. If you have a look in the supermarket some are as low as 22 cals per 100 grams (haywards ones I think). As Rodamort said activity is also the killer. I try to get up very early now and do something active before work, as I know I wont after as I will be to tired from work.

Good luck!
  • Jessalotts
    Options
    Oooh I work from home too :) I started in 2011 :)!
    It generally means I live in the fridge...
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am new to the site and work from home as a creative services consultant. I think one of the worst aspects of working from home is being able to keep your comfy, baggy loungers on! It allows the pounds to creep on without notice.

I find that I do best as a "monotonous eater" when alone. If I stick to light canned soups, meal bars, or nutrition shakes, I have an easier time controlling myself. If I indulge in a sandwich... then come the crisps... then come the biscuits, etc etc.

One excellent perk of working from home is the chance to carve out an hour for exercise. I put it on my 'to do' list. You have the luxury of figuring out the best time in your day for exercise. I like to workout around 3 pm... right when my blood sugar starts to drop. It seems to give me a nice boast and I am feeling good and endorphin-laden for when my kids get home from school at 4.
  • traceygl1967
    traceygl1967 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I work from home as i am a freelance graphic designer feel free to add me :)
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    that is true about the comfy clothes,. got a reality check when i weighed myself at boots as i thought my scales were faulty
  • debrabrosky
    Options
    I work from home since Sept. 2011. All I do is sit in my office and drive to consumers home when necessary. I battled the constant thinking in my head that I'm hungry and I am not. I have no excuse not to exercise I have a complete Jym in my home including the treadmill.

Those of you who are interested in being a team member to encourage those of us who work from home can either post on the message board daily how you are approaching this problem. Use the theme of working from home.

Starting today I'm only going to do two thing until next Sunday January 20, 2013.
    1) Take all my diabetic medications each day.
    2) Use portion control for all my food eaten during the day, staying within diabetic guidelines.
  • cazzer69
    cazzer69 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm have it worse than that.
    I work three weeks on and two weeks off.
    During the three weeks I work it's relatively easy to diet (i have recently found) as I just don't buy anything snackish.
    I have y food for the week and thats it. All planned in advance and that's all there is in.

When I'm back home I don't work. So I have two weeks in a house full of food and nothing to do. (well nothing I HAVE to do)
    My hobbies tend to all be based in the garage so during the winter months when it's cold and dark I amuse myself in the fridge instead.

Here's hoping it won't be like that on my next stint at home.
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    Hiyah I think we need to try to stick to set times to eat as much as possible as per seamatt.
  • theedge56
    theedge56 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I work from home it has its challenges. Like the damn Christmas party this year was nothing but food!
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am a stay at home mother and work from home. The weight has crept up and down for a while now, in July I started properly dieting and I did the 30DS twice, lost 15lbs and 17 inches :) It's a good work out and I suggest keeping it up if you can! I am now onto Insanity as I got bored of Jillian :D
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I've been working from home for over 2 years. I thought it would be easier because I wouldn't be tempted to go to lunch or happy hours as much. I guess I didn't realize I would be 25 ft from the kitchen. I try very hard to limit the amount of junk food in my house. (I have no will power.) I still workout at night, which I'm hoping to change soon.

Feel free to add me, just add a note about what we have in common!
  • Stargazer37
    Options
    Hi there, I know how you feel. I am a stay at home mom (former RN) to 4 boys. It is VERY difficult not to eat out of boredom when they are in school. I also have severe arthritis in my right knee (dr won't replace because I'm too young) and it makes it difficult to walk or ride my bike when I can't even straighten or bend leg completely. So, if any of you have any helpful tips to cope with wanting to eat when you're bored or stressed, feel free to share. :-) Also I'm new here and looking for some new friends, so feel free to message me and/or add me as a friend.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    work from home 2 to 3 days a week. Wish it was all week. Please feel free to add me.
  • envbj77
    envbj77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've been working at home almost 2 years now, and I put on some weight with all of the available food. What changed for me was I no longer buy junk food. Any snacks I buy for the kids is either fruits, granola bars or 100 cal pack snacks. This has helped so much I no longer crave sweets. I also no longer go out to buy lunch, I made something homemade 99% of the time. I set myself up with a weekly allowance of money and I don't want to waste my spending money or fast food. It's not worth it anymore.
  • MacAddictMin
    MacAddictMin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Evening all - I too work from home and have done for over 3 years now, which is when my weight started to creep up - as someone has already said is great because you can train/exercise when you feel like it, but being so close to the fridge / toaster / oven is hard ... I'd always appreciate some more support so feel free to add me if you want!
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    why all week, i find it gets abit lonely