ALCOHOL

Options
Until recently, I had never realized how many calories were in alcoholic drinks! How many of you have cut alcohol out of your diet completely or significantly since starting your diet? How do you even fit it in? Do you purposely eat less when you know you may be drinking socially or do you just not drink now?
I'm just really curious, it took me an hour debating myself on whether or not to have a drink with my boyfriend tonight. Lol! I finally decided on one 166 calorie beer. Holy cow!

Replies

• gaynorv
    gaynorv Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    While I'm Losing I will sip my wine, .... Then reappraise ... More gym ...
  • aimeeernest
    aimeeernest Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    haha! Okay im glad im not the only one to 100% cross it out of my diet. I'm not a big drinker in the first place, a few beers every few weeks or so... but it looks like a few will have to be more like 1-2 max. i agree, just make sure i burn those cals at the gym on top of my normal workout!
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have discovered Bud Select 55 this evening. I started out with my tasty Bud light lime, and switched to it. I hear it has less alcohol then the bud lights, but as you lose weight you can't drink as much anyway right? 55 calories a beer will cut down on my caloric intake cause i tend to drink several when i am out anyway.
    also knowing i would be going out drinking, i made sure to drop calories yesterday and work out more today to fit it in. I "went over" today by a couple hundred calories, but i was under by that much yesterday. I do however retain water after drinking, so i won't weigh again till monday or so.
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I definitely do think twice before having a drink because of the calorie content ... Will it be worth it lol. On special nights I usually will.either plan for it by extra workouts in the morning or just by giving myself a cheat day. I will also get lighter options like a skinny margarita if that's available.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have cut down quite a bit but sorry, can't stop totally, I enjoy a drink!!! I don't like beer so that's not a problem but do like red wine. I have cut on the wine and swapped for a vodka and diet coke, going looong on the diet coke. Lots less calories and I don't feel I'm missing out. :bigsmile:
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    :drinker: "hahah-never drink your calories"-I skipped my marg tonite cause this is my 7th day-but wine is less cal/ than mixed drinks with sugar mixers in them-yes you can have them, but work off or lower you cal intake-its a bummer I know
  • owndbycatz
    owndbycatz Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've had to basically cut it out altogether. I'm not much of a drinker anyway, but I just can't spare the calories right now. Over the holidays I indulged - some rich food but I think it was the 1 or 2 glasses of wine almost every day for about a week that did the most damage. The result was a weight gain that I've just recovered from. Can't say I really regret it. And it did show me is that I can go through a period of indulgence, get back on track, resulting in just a brief period of no progress, not a complete negation of my hard work. But the weight loss is too important to me right now to include alcohol in my intake.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I cut out 99% of my alcohol. I have the occasional margarita or drink with my friends, but usually reserve those for cheat days or work out a lot more before. I hate being drunk and feeling gross the next day so I'd rather not drink anyway.
  • catsinpajamas
    Options
    I drink less frivolously, for sure. I just factor in the calories when I really want a glass of wine :)
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Idontthinkineedacuphanna.gif
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I confess, I don't drink like I used to.
  • lizzyd629
    Options
    LOL so funny I found this post!

I decided to have a beer last night, a Michelob Ultra....
    Now mind you, I really don't drink much anymore, the older I get the less tollerant my system becomes...
    ....back to my beer, that I didn't even finish...about 3/4 of it.

woke up this morning feeling like CRAP! I thought to myself (with my spliting headache) I didn't have a case of beer, I barely had 1 BOTTLE!....
    I was quite sick :sick: ...wont go into details BUT...I have come to the conclusion, it's not worth wasting my calories or taking away my good feelings of accomplishment with my feeling like crap!

So...nope....no drinking for me. If I really feel like drinking anything, it will maybe be a small glass of wine once a year :bigsmile: lol
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    LOL so funny I found this post!

I decided to have a beer last night, a Michelob Ultra....
    Now mind you, I really don't drink much anymore, the older I get the less tollerant my system becomes...
    ....back to my beer, that I didn't even finish...about 3/4 of it.

woke up this morning feeling like CRAP! I thought to myself (with my spliting headache) I didn't have a case of beer, I barely had 1 BOTTLE!....
    I was quite sick :sick: ...wont go into details BUT...I have come to the conclusion, it's not worth wasting my calories or taking away my good feelings of accomplishment with my feeling like crap!

So...nope....no drinking for me. If I really feel like drinking anything, it will maybe be a small glass of wine once a year :bigsmile: lol

Disgusting! If you're going to drink a beer, drink a beer. Michelob Ultra has little in common with actual beer.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I usually make room.. eat less or exercise more ect...
    Sometimes you literally have to put 10000 calories aside or more if you're planning on getting drunk
    I'm trying vodka and diet coke tonight, never had the two together! haha
  • titanium96
    titanium96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I actually dont find it high in cals at all. A beer here is about 110 calories....thats less than a sports drink, a soft drink and probably about the same as a glass of full cream milk. its the food you stuff down your face when you are drunk thats the problem....lol
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to save calories for alcohol at the end of the day, so I usually just don't drink. But when I do drink I usually choose something like vodka and soda or a flavored vodka and soda.
  • grillingirl
    grillingirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I used to be quite a beer drinker, but have found that the older I get the less I can drink. I think all the beer might be why I put on so much weight in the first place. But I have definitely cut out most of it. I will have one beer or glass of wine every now and then but I try to remember how long I worked at the gym in order just to have that one drink. And lots of times I decided that it's just not worth it!
  • SaraO41
    Options
    Hi. I have cut it out completely for January as part of a healthier 2013. I also stopped smoking at the same time AND
    ... Started my healthy eating. I'm an all or nothing type of girl and know that if I had my usual wine induced weekend
    , I would start eating whatever I can get my hands on and smoking like a chimney ! I am hoping that come February I will be able to have the odd drink with a meal but will see how it goes :-))
  • moostrodamus
    Options
    I used to drink alot, but i found as i got older my "indestructability" slowly diminished...at 18 i could get up withing 4 hours after partying with little problem, then at 25 it became 8 hours, then thirty it was 16 hours, 40 it was 32 hours and now at nearly 50 it barely seems worth the effort to ruin an entire weekend (48hours) because i drank... so i very rarely drink anything at all now.

Oh ya...also i was an *kitten* when i drank.

:)
  • maruby95
    maruby95 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    As someone said above, I don't find the the glass of wine to be the problem- but the lack of self-control that comes with it! :). I can make room for the drink, but can't always predict what I'll end up snacking on with it. Not usually worth it- but sometimes, it most definetly is :).