Im trying not to go insane!!

I am a single 235 pound mom. Going to school. With a 2 year old. I just got out of a over 8 year long relashionship with the father. Over the last 2 years I gained just over 50 pounds so my image changed a lot. I think is one of the reasons why he left us. I thought he loved his daughter but wants nothing to do with her he said himself. He is already with another girl and her 2 kids (not his). Anyways Ive tried just recently in December to try lose weight. But its been hard to stay on routine. I get depressed quickly. I am glad he is gone though I am much happier and no more telling me what to do. I want to lose weight so I can become more healthier and a happier mom. It's been financially tough after he left but I manage, but I can't go to a gym. And buying 100% healthy foods is a little hard. But I manage. All's I'm looking for is tips advice to help me with my weight loss. I went to the doctor thought I was going crazy he said I'm fine just a bit stressed. lol Anyways thank you for reading.

Weight: 235
Height: 5'8 1/2

Replies

• c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    hi nic firstly big hug to you xx you are awesome! my tip is you can get heaps of info and diet plans and work outs for free, i dont do gyms either, first tip join library and get out some diet books, healthy eating books, i personally recommend lean & clean and south beach supercharged, just because it taught me how to eat but allso understand what a glycogen spike is and how it affects your body for exampple. second tip if you can find 30 minutes a day try 30 day shred, you dont have to do it in 30 days you can do it every other day or just three times a week but it gets great results, just search on utube their on there and are free, there are many free exercise vids on you tube, but jillian micheals 30 day shred is a great place to start. And again, big hugs you are still young I reckon you'll get there xxx goodluck :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Find an activity to do that you enjoy and try to make time to do it. When my husband is deployed it's easy to get in a funk but I've found that if I make myself get out and go walk the beach I feel much better.

As for food try making small changes. You don't have to go 100% all at once, and honestly most people have trouble doing a 180 in diet. I'd start with just meeting your calorie goal. Once you've got that, start swapping healthy alternatives, adding veggies, etc. You don't have to ever be 100% healthy. It's ok to have a treat here and there. Taking this approach might help you to not feel overwhelmed.

I understand the break up after 8 years. I went through a divorce a couple of years ago and it was rough. I lost about 20 lbs (unfortunately it came back) and I was pretty down for awhile. But it turned out to be the best thing that could have happened. Hang in there, do your best to get some exercise (it increases endorphins) and remember that you are going to be ok.
  • graciepecie
    graciepecie Posts: 135 Member
    Hi Nicstir,

That's a sad story! But at the same time so awesome to hear how strong you are! You can do this.

Some tips:
    - try to cut on carbs (babysteps)
    - eat a lot of fruits and vegetables
    - drink a lof of water
    - drink Chinese slender tea (Pu-erh or Nan-Yu): these kind of teas help you lose weight, drink 8 cups a day. Once in 4 weeks, take a rest week and don't drink the tea)
    - eat lots of protein (for example eggs en yoghurt), with eggs you are less hungry
    - eat lean meat (chicken, turkey, lean beaf)
    - eat 6 times a day (3 meals and 3 snacks) about every 2 hours, this keeps your metabolism moving. With snacks ofcourse healthy 'snacks' like grain crackers with cheese or lean meat like casselerrib, chickenfilet, smoked beaffilet etc.) Search google for healthy snacks, lots of oppurtunities
    - excircise 3 times a week for half an hour (walking, biking, skating). What I did is search on Youtube for excircises to download such as Jillian Michaels - 30 Days Shred (level 1, 2 and 3). Instead of taking the bus, get out of the bus earlier and walk.

Hope you like the information I gave you!

greetings,

Grace
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    nic
    It gets better, really it does. Take this time for you and your baby! You can't lose weight for anybody other then yourself. Libraries are free,as long as you get no late fees LOL, you can get all kind of wonderful info there and your child can get movies and books also. Want to join a gym no money? See if your local Y has a scholarship program. Its worth checking out. I truly feel walking is the best excersice and its FREE, plus its something you and your child can do together. Best of luck on your journey
  • nicstir
    nicstir Posts: 70 Member
    Thank you all so much!! I will defiantly be using your tips. May I add yous so you can see my progress over the months!! Your comments gave me hope and faith in myself thank you!!
  • nic
    It gets better, really it does. Take this time for you and your baby! You can't lose weight for anybody other then yourself. Libraries are free,as long as you get no late fees LOL, you can get all kind of wonderful info there and your child can get movies and books also. Want to join a gym no money? See if your local Y has a scholarship program. Its worth checking out. I truly feel walking is the best excersice and its FREE, plus its something you and your child can do together. Best of luck on your journey

Yeah, YMCA has a program for low income families and that place is a great resource! Ours has a Family Fun Night just about every Friday and little kids play with each other, they put up a bouncy house. It's a lot of fun and gives you a chance to talk to other parents. Plus they have Zumba and other classes for free. I also second the Jillian Michaels workout. Its an intense workout!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Hi Nicstir,

That's a sad story! But at the same time so awesome to hear how strong you are! You can do this.

Some tips:
    - try to cut on carbs (babysteps)
    - eat a lot of fruits and vegetables
    - drink a lof of water
    - drink Chinese slender tea (Pu-erh or Nan-Yu): these kind of teas help you lose weight, drink 8 cups a day. Once in 4 weeks, take a rest week and don't drink the tea)
    - eat lots of protein (for example eggs en yoghurt), with eggs you are less hungry
    - eat lean meat (chicken, turkey, lean beaf)
    - eat 6 times a day (3 meals and 3 snacks) about every 2 hours, this keeps your metabolism moving. With snacks ofcourse healthy 'snacks' like grain crackers with cheese or lean meat like casselerrib, chickenfilet, smoked beaffilet etc.) Search google for healthy snacks, lots of oppurtunities
    - excircise 3 times a week for half an hour (walking, biking, skating). What I did is search on Youtube for excircises to download such as Jillian Michaels - 30 Days Shred (level 1, 2 and 3). Instead of taking the bus, get out of the bus earlier and walk.

Hope you like the information I gave you!

greetings,

Grace

While some of these are good suggestions, they're not necessary. You don't need to "keep your metabolism moving," with meal frequency. Just set your meals up according to personal preference. You may find that more meals makes it easier to stick to your calories, but if you'd rather have a couple of big meals it won't hurt your progress if the calories are the same. There are also no foods or drinks that will make you lose weight faster. There's no need to cut carbs barring a medical condition that requires it (like PCOS).

Keep it simple. You've got enough to worry about without complicating weight loss with arbitrary rules.
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    Hey you! You can do this! We all have to figure out how to claim a healthy life--for our situation and our life! For me, getting some activity in every day helps me keep the crazies at bay, and helps calm my anxious mind. This could just be a walk! Exercise DVD's are great! Even using a step up and down while watching tv, getting in 10 minutes here or there. I used to do lots of walks to the park with my kids -- walk to the park for 30 mins, play for a while, and walk back. Food on a budget is hard, but we all have to do it for our own situation. Simple meals -- a meat/chicken, veggie, fruit, grain. You can do more veggies and dip, salads, beans and legumes are wonderful if you are on a budget. Don't know how much you cook, but I love making a big pot of soup or chili and eating on that all week. I also firmly believe that a positive attitude and deciding and BELIEVING that you can do it and that you are worth it are really important--and can make a difference in your success. Just my rambling thoughts--good luck!:)
  • jenfoxjercha
    jenfoxjercha Posts: 51 Member
    A walk is a great start and it gets you out into the fresh air. One small step you can do while just watching TV is during the commercials start to do lunges or squats. You would be amazed at how many you can do in a night. Take a couple nights a week or time on the weekends to take your daughter to the local park and play. It will get her started on a healthy lifestyle also and she will always remember the play dates with you.
    It's all about the small steps and small achievements. They turn into big ones later.