Which Protein is better for woman?

Options
*** Question *** What kind of protein is the best to take for a woman? I was taking Whey for the longest but switched to Soy the past month. I noticed a different in the Soy as in building muscle and getting leaner. Whey seemed to help me loose weight and have more energy. I was doing some research on them and its a back and forth issue. Looks like Soy is the better choice for me in the stage im at with not having to loose weight and im toning and trying to get lean.. What do ya'll think? Or take?

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I use soy protein powder and I really like it.
  • carlaj38
    carlaj38 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Never tried soy but what do you all mix with it? :wink:
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have always been a whey protein girl. It works for me. I stay away from all things soy because it's not very healthy for women especially.
  • prudism
    prudism Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    why take protein powders does high protein food not work just as well? I have never taken them can somebody tell why they would be beneficial?:huh:
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I take whey after a workout and on lifting days, I will add casein before bed.

I don't think it's a man/ woman thing. I don't take soy because of have heard and read that too much soy is bad for you and whey is easier to digest.
  • BeautyAndStrength50
    BeautyAndStrength50 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have vanilla flavor which my sugar levels are higher but it all averages out with the natural fruits I add to it. I usually put a banana and 5 frozen strawberries with 2 percent milk in mine. Its delicious. I add crushed ice too. I drink one after every workout and it seems to be helping me gain muscle tone better then the Whey. I want lean and toned muscle mass and they say Soy is the best for woman. Just want suggestions to see what others are using.

Thanks
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I have always been a whey protein girl. It works for me. I stay away from all things soy because it's not very healthy for women especially.

There's actually no solid evidence to prove that it's as bad as people say it is for both men and women for different reason.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I only have one soy shake a day after a workout and I do believe the jury is still out on the impact of soy etc on the body....but I mix mine with skim milk and 0% Greek yogurt.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

There's actually no solid evidence to prove that it's as bad as people say it is for both men and women for different reasons.
  • Cleeecooo
    Options
    why take protein powders does high protein food not work just as well? I have never taken them can somebody tell why they would be beneficial?:huh:

The main reason is it's a lot easier than eating all the time. Let's say you want 5x 30g protein servings a day, you'd have to eat 100g of chicken every couple of hours which, for many people, is pretty impractical, protein shakes are a lot easier :)
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I use whey. Some soys mess with my stomach and I prefer not to take my chances with the hormonal possibilities.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Meat.

In all seriousness though you get lean by deficit, not choice of protein source
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    The protein powder, by itself, is not going to help you build muscle. Eating at a calorie surplus is what helps with that. As far as getting leaner, that's a result of less body fat.

Go with whichever you like better. Try to get as much protein from natural sources first. Then, use the supplement to help hit your target.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    For a supplement I have found both soy and whey that disagreed with my body. Most proteins made me feel icky, but fortunately or unfortunately my body is quite fond of a very expensive whey protein by Maximized Living. It is the only powder that didn't make me nauseous / gassy / icky.

I think you just need to find what makes you feel good. We are not all the same.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Poultry/fish/beef/pork

and not necessarily in that order.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    most women I know love the liquid protein shots.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0030DM28C/ref=aw_d_iv_hpc?is=l
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Didn't know protein was gender specific.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options

The main reason is it's a lot easier than eating all the time. Let's say you want 5x 30g protein servings a day, you'd have to eat 100g of chicken every couple of hours which, for many people, is pretty impractical, protein shakes are a lot easier :)

Actually, no.....
    There are foods that are utilized more efficiently in the body....before there was all these powders and such, bodybuilders ate a lot of eggs for their percentage of actual protein utilization (94%), milk(82%), fish(80%) because they are shown to be used most efficiently in the body. Then it goes down to poultry, then red meats. (All of this information in on NCBI, pubmed, and also Arnolds Encyclopedia on bodybuilding....)

The powders that are out in the 21st century utilize nearly 100% protein.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The protein powder, by itself, is not going to help you build muscle. Eating at a calorie surplus is what helps with that. As far as getting leaner, that's a result of less body fat.

Go with whichever you like better. Try to get as much protein from natural sources first. Then, use the supplement to help hit your target.

^^this

There is no men v women with regard to protein. Some women do like to restrict/limit soy however. For this reason and bioavailability, I usually go for whey.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

There's actually no solid evidence to prove that it's as bad as people say it is for both men and women for different reason.
    I'm lazy right now because I'm phone typing since my internet is out but there absolutely is if you have enough of it. If its just a drink every now and then, I wouldn't be concerned....if its several drinks a day and tofu and other soy products (because soy is basically an additive in everything right now) I'd stay away from it...there's enough of it in the food that shouldn't have it in it.

Also I like the taste of whey and the nutrients in it. Soy is rich in nutrients as well but I'd say I get enough of them in my diet considering what soy is added to even without eating beans soy or tofu at all.