Calorie burn

Options

Replies

• westie750
    Options
    Ok thank you. I am aiming to lose about 10 lbs so you are probably right.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Thanks! : ) I was just reading that link that was posted above, and one more question! How relevant is that Body Fat indicator? It says on some websites that between 20 and 25 percent body fat is considered 'fit' but I feel that I need to knock off some of it. What does anyone consider a healthy body fat percentage, or does this depend on the height or shape of a person?

Healthy body fat percentages are generally based on research not opinion or aesthetics. There are charts that divide women into age groups and activity levels, you can go a little lower than 20% if you are young and athletic. Height is not relevant because it is a percentage of total body mass, build is covered by it being a range not an absolute and by the allowances for athletic types. Remember if you build muscle and create denser bones with targeted resistance training but keep the same amount of fat mass you will be firmer, shapelier and have a lower body fat percentage.
  • vanessarico
    Options
    I wonder this too. I'm on a 1200 cal diet and I lose about 500 cal a day in working out but still cant seem to lose weight. What am i doing wrong?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    OP...what you are missing is that 1,200 calories isn't your TDEE for maintenance. I don't know how you set your goals up, but I suspect you told MFP you wanted to lose 2Lbs per week and you are now on the obligatory 1,200 calorie diet. That recommendation already includes a caloric deficit in it and 1,200 is the bare minimum you should net to in order to lose weight. I say that because most likely 1,200 is too low and below your BMR somewhat.

Even without knowing your measurements, I would think your maintenance TDEE is in the neighborhood of 1,800 - 2,000 calories which would mean that if you ate 1,800-2,000 calories you would maintain your current weight...at 1,200 calories you would be at a 600-800 calorie deficit to lose weight.

You need to educate yourself a little more about TDEE and BMR...if you net between those two numbers, you will lose weight in a healthy and safe manner. Here's a good calculator:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the answers everyone. Now apologies if I sound silly, but if by the case that the body burns 1200 at rest position, does that mean that anything extra burned in my case is the starting weight loss number? I.e. if I burn 300 to 400 calories a day while keeping under my 1200 consumption goal, then I am on track to slim down?

Also, thank you lauramacaroni for the awesome link!

If you are only on 1200 calories a day, it means you should eat back those calories that you burned, as long as you are reasonably sure of their accuracy. 1200 calories is too low for most people. The link you received will help with all this.
  • foleyshirley
    Options
    I wonder this too. I'm on a 1200 cal diet and I lose about 500 cal a day in working out but still cant seem to lose weight. What am i doing wrong?

You are not eating enough. Follow the links given and learn what number of calories you should truly be following. Or set MFP to a loss of 1 pound per week, and then also eat back exercise calories. It works. I realize it may seem counter intuitive, but it works.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

1,200 calorie goal already has a deficit built in there as I assume you told MFP you wanted to lose weight when you set up. You need to eat back your exercise calories to net to 1,200 minimum...which is probably still on the low side. 1,200-500=700 net calories per day. I can guarantee you that is way below your BMR...your BMR is the bare minimum of calories your body needs to maintain proper organ function if you were in a coma. Netting below your BMR causes your body to do the exact opposite of what you want...it goes into metabolic stall and instead of burning your fat stores and calories, it puts everything into storage because your body thinks it's starving...which it is.

1,200 calories should be what you are netting, not grossing which means you need to eat back exercise calories to properly fuel your body. Like I said, that's still probably pretty low and you'd be doing yourself a favor by figuring out what your BMR is and maintenance TDEE is and netting your caloric intake somewhere between those two numbers for healthy and safe weight loss.
  • foleyshirley
    Options
    If you stay the same weight at 1200 calories a day and burn 400 calories a day you should lose but less than a pound a week because 400 x 7 is 2800 calories and it takes 3500 to lose a pound. So you would need to cut an extra 600 calories from your diet to lose a pound. 1200 is very low though, I bet you burn more than that in a day.

This is completely and utterly wrong. 1200 is not maintenance, and is way too low for most people. If you eat 1200, you are expected to eat back your exercise calories. Please read this link and learn about BMR and TDEE.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Thanks for that Ladyraven! I found a TDEE calculator and have discovered that I am about 40 - 50% under my expenditure, so it's all good! : )

40-50% of your expenditure is not all good...anything more than 20% of your TDEE is potentially dangerous and you should be under the close supervision of a physician. Anything more than 20% generally means you are netting well below your BMR unless you are seriously morbidly obese. If you continue down this path, metabolic stall will be the least of your concerns when your organs begin to fail and your body cannibalizes your lean body mass for energy
  • westie750
    Options
    If you stay the same weight at 1200 calories a day and burn 400 calories a day you should lose but less than a pound a week because 400 x 7 is 2800 calories and it takes 3500 to lose a pound. So you would need to cut an extra 600 calories from your diet to lose a pound. 1200 is very low though, I bet you burn more than that in a day.

This is completely and utterly wrong. 1200 is not maintenance, and is way too low for most people. If you eat 1200, you are expected to eat back your exercise calories. Please read this link and learn about BMR and TDEE.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Foleyshirley,
    I follow the app pretty strictly - I filled out what I wanted to lose and what my exercise goals were. So usually at the end of the day, food and exercise submitted, I am back at 0 or somewhere around there. If I have a long workout with extra burn, then I will have a an extra snack. I think I am doing it right at this point - I understand the app better now with the realization that it is auto-tailored to one's specifications.
    I don't think 1200 is extremely low, it has really made me think about what I am eating and I don't eat as much rubbish like chips and cakes etc.
  • westie750
    Options
    Thanks for that Ladyraven! I found a TDEE calculator and have discovered that I am about 40 - 50% under my expenditure, so it's all good! : )

40-50% of your expenditure is not all good...anything more than 20% of your TDEE is potentially dangerous and you should be under the close supervision of a physician. Anything more than 20% generally means you are netting well below your BMR unless you are seriously morbidly obese. If you continue down this path, metabolic stall will be the least of your concerns when your organs begin to fail and your body cannibalizes your lean body mass for energy

But I am eating three meals a day and snacks - not going mad in the gym either. My TDEE was 2100, my fitnesspal app said 1200 for daily calorie intake. I am by no means starving myself. I guess it is possible that the calculator (online) was wrong.
  • vanessarico
    Options

1,200 calorie goal already has a deficit built in there as I assume you told MFP you wanted to lose weight when you set up. You need to eat back your exercise calories to net to 1,200 minimum...which is probably still on the low side. 1,200-500=700 net calories per day. I can guarantee you that is way below your BMR...your BMR is the bare minimum of calories your body needs to maintain proper organ function if you were in a coma. Netting below your BMR causes your body to do the exact opposite of what you want...it goes into metabolic stall and instead of burning your fat stores and calories, it puts everything into storage because your body thinks it's starving...which it is.

1,200 calories should be what you are netting, not grossing which means you need to eat back exercise calories to properly fuel your body. Like I said, that's still probably pretty low and you'd be doing yourself a favor by figuring out what your BMR is and maintenance TDEE is and netting your caloric intake somewhere between those two numbers for healthy and safe weight loss.

Yes you are right I told MFP that I want to lose 2 lbs a week. Ive been eating 1200 or less and losing about 500 cal a day without eating anything back. I'm looking through the links provided and see that I have been going about this all wrong. Thank you!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Yes you are right I told MFP that I want to lose 2 lbs a week. Ive been eating 1200 or less and losing about 500 cal a day without eating anything back. I'm looking through the links provided and see that I have been going about this all wrong. Thank you!

Here's a very good read (for both you and the OP) - a very good explanation of why a huge deficit can create problems:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

But I am eating three meals a day and snacks - not going mad in the gym either. My TDEE was 2100, my fitnesspal app said 1200 for daily calorie intake. I am by no means starving myself. I guess it is possible that the calculator (online) was wrong.

If your TDEE is 2100 you could lose 1lb a week on 1600 calories a day. (2100 - 500).
  • foleyshirley
    Options

Foleyshirley,
    I follow the app pretty strictly - I filled out what I wanted to lose and what my exercise goals were. So usually at the end of the day, food and exercise submitted, I am back at 0 or somewhere around there. If I have a long workout with extra burn, then I will have a an extra snack. I think I am doing it right at this point - I understand the app better now with the realization that it is auto-tailored to one's specifications.
    I don't think 1200 is extremely low, it has really made me think about what I am eating and I don't eat as much rubbish like chips and cakes etc.

If you are eating 1200 calories and not eating back exercise calories, you are not doing it right. MFP is set up to eat back exercise calories, so you are not following the app. You are creating too large a deficit, and it will backfire eventually.

1200 is not what your body needs everyday; 1200 is already a deficit. You are not expected to create a larger deficit with exercise. And it isn't even wise to do so, no matter how much you want to lose. You risk losing lean body mass, as well as lowering your metabolic rate. And you don't have to eat rubbish to go over 1200.
  • westie750
    Options
    1200 is what I am netting. I can go up to 1600 gross sometimes or thereabouts. I do eat back if I have calories to 'spare'.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    1200 is what I am netting. I can go up to 1600 gross sometimes or thereabouts. I do eat back if I have calories to 'spare'.

If you are netting 1,200 you are probably ok for now, but you'll want to keep an eye on it and make adjustments when MFP tells you to. My guess is that it is still below your BMR which is a very important number. Eating below that number for a long time will eventually cause you issues and you will eventually go into metabolic stall...just look at the countless posts here on MFP for people who lost at 1,200 and then stalled for weeks and months until they figured out they needed to eat more.

If 2,100 is your maintenance TDEE, I will extrapolate and presume that your BMR is in the 1,600-1,700 range...while you may initially lose the weight faster at 1,200 calories, netting to your BMR will result in safer and healthier weight loss and should be around 1 Lb per week. Generally speaking, those who shed the weight slower also tend to keep it off in the long run as well.

Remember that this is a marathon not a sprint. You didn't put weight on overnight and it's not going to come off overnight. Patience is key here.

Good luck to you.
  • westie750
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I'll take a lot of the advice here and up my calorie intake (which I have no problem with!). My BMR is lower than that so not sure how one applies to the other. (Should the net calorie goal be the same as BMR?)
    In any case, I'll reset my app to 1300 or 1400. Thanks all!
  • vanessarico
    Options
    I apologize if I sound repetitive but MFP says I should eat 1200 cal a day and I'll lose 1.7 lbs a week if I work out 7 days a week for 60 mins and lose 2,270 cal. Is this accurate. After all the reading I'm still a bit confused.
  • westie750
    Options
    I think there may be some issue with the MFP app. I have put in several variations and it still tells me to put 1200 as my net calorie goal. I have put it up to 1400 as a result of the advice in this thread.