Clean-eating food at Trader Joe's

Options
em3120
em3120 Posts: 154 Member
I’m heading to Trader Joe’s in a couple of days and I was wondering what you guys like from there. This is actually my first time going because it is almost 45 minutes away from where I live. I have converted to 90% clean eating and I would love your “clean” recommendations!

Replies

• zzzkitty
    zzzkitty Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I buy a lot from Trader Joes, so it's hard to pick just a few things. But - I depend a lot on the frozen microwave brown rice, which cooks up nicely and tastes great - it's quick for those nights when you just want dinner fast. Also have great frozen fish for good prices. Love the Caribbean fruit floes (80 calories) for a sweet treat. The "Guilt Free" frozen entrees make it to lunch at work when I don't have leftovers. I could go on...
  • stbarry
    stbarry Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Cioppino. I take the stew as a base, add additional low fat seafood (ie shrimp or scallops), and stretch the number of servings I get from a package. Suggestion: remove the seafood, heat the gravy, then add the seafood, shrimp & scallops last, to perfectly cook each.

Cioppino Fish Stew Serving Size: 1 cup, Calories: 170, Fat: 6g, Carbs: 8g, Protein: 22g

I also love the frozen vegetables. The Romanesco Cauliflower has 25 calories, the Eggplant Zucchini Melange is 70 calories and DELICIOUS.
  • em3120
    Options
    This may sound like a stupid question, but is the majority of stuff from Trader Joe's clean? Some? All? I've never been before and am curious about how things work there.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Clean foods are largely wholefoods not branded, processed stuff with ingredients lists, you are sort of asking for an oxymoron. Just buy nuts, seeds, dried fruit, wholegrains, beans, lentils, fish and so on.
    http://www.traderjoes.com/
  • em3120
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Has anyone tried their salsa or hummus?
  • zzzkitty
    Options
    I like to eat as many whole foods as possible, but many of the items at Trader Joes have only "real" ingredients - no chemicals that you can't pronouce, no high-fructose corn syrup, etc. Check the labels and you will find many items that have good wholesome ingredients only. I am sensitive to food additives, but I find many many items that I can eat there. (For example, I watch for the caramel coloring in the deli meats and tea - the Tea Java (regular, unsweetened) doesn't have it, but another brand does. (Why add brown coloring to brown liquid anyway?) But the Tea Java green tea has a food additive also.) I probably spend longer checking out the labels than most people, but it's worth it! Most of the non-whole foods that I do eat come from Trader Joes. :smile: It is so much cheaper than health food stores.
  • almondbuttalovah
    Options
    I eat as clean as possible and buy all my food from Trader Joe's. you can take a lot at my diary entries if you need ideas on what to add to your list (:
  • zzzkitty
    Options
    I haven't tried the hummus as I make my own, but I have tried the salsa. I didn't like the cheapest one in the small bottle, which I think is called Salsa Authentica, as it was very watery. I tried the other one that has roasted corn in it is pretty good - I can't remember the name. I like to stick to organic when possible, so it is probably the other organic choice.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Loving the unsweetened vanilla almond milk from there right now. 45 cal/cup is a steal. :)
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Salsa Especial and Pico de Gallo are my faves, any of their hummuses are great. I use hummus in place of mayo on sandwiches!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Loving the unsweetened vanilla almond milk from there right now. 45 cal/cup is a steal. :)

YES!!! I use it with a tablespoon of peanut butter for an awesome hot drink, make my steel cut oats with it..... chia tapioca!!
  • clh126
    clh126 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've been addicted to their edamame hummus lately. I like to buy nuts, seeds, oats, dried fruit, and frozen vegetables at trader joes. Their almond milk is also almost half the price of that at the regular grocery store here and they have a pretty good reasonably priced cheese selection.
  • HarlowS
    HarlowS Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's is great and has a lot of minimally processed stuff. Beware though, there is quite a bit that is still considered "junk". My husband calls it "healthy junk". You need to read labels carefully. There are meats from out of the country, enriched flour/wheat, and foods with lots of sugar. Look for items with 5 ingredients or less if you are aiming to eat cleaner.

I love the Mediterranean hummus, Soy milk, cheeses, vegan vegetable rolls, fish, 100% whole wheat bread, ak-mak crackers, $.19 bananas, etc. Oh, and you can't go wrong with a bottle of 3 Buck Chuck (Charles Shaw Wine) :wink:
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Love:

Reduced Guilt guacamole (LOVE! esp in an egg white omelet!)
    Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
    Cage free egg whites (I admit it, I'm lazy)
    99% fat free ground turkey breast, mirepoix, egg whites, oatmeal, and seasonings to make "meatloaf muffins"
    Low Carb tortillas
    mediterranean hummus
    hardboiled eggs (I remove yolks and add in the hummus
    Turkey Jerky
    various nut butters
    roasted red pepper and tomato soup
    cheeses
    cooked lentils
    steamed baby beets (with goat cheese and some balsamic vinegar- yum!
    fage greek yogurt
    possibly not "clean:
    Turkey Meatballs fully cooked
    chicken tikka masala with frozen prawns for extra protein (thaw in warm water)
    chicken and vegetable wonton soup-frozen
    meatless corndogs- frozen
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Oh, and you can't go wrong with a bottle of 3 Buck Chuck (Charles Shaw Wine) :wink:

Used to be 2 buck chuck...not that they're allowed to sell wine in our local TJ's :grumble:
  • veggieluver2
    veggieluver2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think there are many"clean foods" at TJ's. Most of the frozen items are loaded with salt and fat. Unless you're just buying fruits and veggies. I expressed my opinion to one of the employees about all the items loaded with salt. She told me they are not known as a "health food store." She was nice enough to provide me with a list of saltfree and gluten free items.

My fav item is the brown rice medley.
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    Could you pick up 2 bottles of Trader Joe's California Estate Olive Oil for me?
    The closest Tj's to me is 3 hrs away.
    Much Appreciated
    :)
  • Ashley578
    Options
    Their salsa is AMAZING but plan on eating it in the next few days because it only stays good for a couple days
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    I use hummus in place of mayo on sandwiches!

^^^^What a GREAT idea!
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options

The hummus is THE BEST. Buy lots! My favorite is the "spicy" and the "red pepper". The salsa is pretty good, too! But if I was clean eating, I would just make my own salsa! :) They also have edamame that I love (frozen). It's a good and healthy snack!

Go look on their website, and it will list what they have. That’s the way to go.