Relatively new here

Options
Hey there, I have only been on here for a very short time. I am having a hard time with food right now. I just want to eat and eat and eat, and I don't mean the good stuff. I have been a good weight all my life but now i am starting to pack on some pounds. My mother was the same way, a good weight until she reached 40 and then its been down hill since then. I don't want to follow in her footsteps and being a mother of 3 (2 of them being girls) I don't want them to follow me either. I want to set a good example. I just need help with motivation. I am a stay at home mom and I think thats why I eat. I'm starting to get bored. My kids are older and now they just go off and do their own thing, so i do my own thing too EAT. Would be nice to chat with someone who has maybe gone through the same thing as me. I'm just worried that when they start to go off to college that it will get worse. I won't have to cook dinner anymore!!

Replies

• Lasirenn
    Lasirenn Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi, Zameka! I don't have any children and unlike you I've never been at a good weight, but I do go through cycles where all I want to do is eat. I'm going through a bad one right now. I can't stop buying large bags of candy.

What helps is having a hobby or activity you REALLY like and stick with it, especially something that keeps your hands busy. Sometimes, I'll cook food and eat it because my hands are restless. Do you like art? Painting? Pottery? Consider taking a class to improve your skill and socialize with other people since you are getting lonely. Or take a fun dance class. Once you have a passion, food just doesn't seem as fun of a time-filler by comparison.
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I am home all day and my 2 girls are now in high school and off doing their own thing too. You definately need to find a hobby or activitiy to keep busy and mind off of food. One can clean the house only so much! :wink: I have discovered that doing workout dvds throughout the day help me. I also can't wait to start walking outdoors. Unfortunately, I do not belong to a gym nor do I have any equipment in the house. :sad: However, I just keep busy any way I can.Good luck on your journey and have fun!
  • lisanewe
    lisanewe Posts: 6
    Options
    I am on a new diet and exercise program, starting last week. I have to say, my new hobby is counting calories and exercise minutes on this site. I also agree with Lasirem, that keeping your hands and mind occupied is helpful. Any handicraft is good: knitting, crochet, gardening, taking the kids for a bike ride... And also, wear a pedometer! You'd be surprized how many miles you rack up during a day of normal living. I log those in the exercise chart as "walking, moderate effort." The more calories you burn, the more interesting it is to keep burning them up! Anyway, good luck, and hang in there!
  • cocacole77
    Options
    I just started on here a couple of weeks ago and I KNOW that by having friends on here that see my progress I will lose the weight I want. So in my opinion I think the best way to find that motivation is by requesting friends!!
  • zameka
    zameka Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I used to do paint by numbers with my kids and really enjoyed it, and it passed the time by quickly. I think I will get back into those in the afternoons when the temptation of eating strikes. I will also try to add some friends on here too!!
    thanks