Ex Smoker that gained 40 pounds in the last 2 years.

Options
Finally it took me a swift kick in the butt from the passing of my Father in Sept 2012 from lung cancer to lose the weight. Also my girl had Lap Sleeve surgery about a 1.5 years ago and has kinda hit a weight loss wall. So she is joining me in my new journey. We just joined Planet Fitness 1/7/2013 and I have made it to the gym 3 times this week. We both missed going to the gym and it felt great getting back in there after a year away due to depression and injuries for both of us. Making the weight loss commitment was like when I quit smoking 2 years ago.......You have to want it! There is no other way to do or complete this journey unless you make those choices for yourself and not anything else.

Replies

• edessad
    edessad Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Here, Here!!! I got to that point a few months ago and have lost 51lbs off my 330lb frame. Feel great for it and look forward to the next 50...
  • renrock
    renrock Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I started this weight loss effort last week. My dad also passed this past year from lung problems, and I quit smoking the 1st of the year. No motive except to ask for support, I have to do what I have to do. Bigdogdrivers, Do you want to stay in touch?
  • TGGolfer
    TGGolfer Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the being a non smoker! The lung cancer was scary and really had a huge effect on my life over the last year. It was so sad and depressing seeing my father struggle with easy tasks and shrink away from not being able to get the care he needed. I would like to stay in touch. tgraham@pinnaclefamily,com is my email address if you would like it.

Stay strong and keep focused on the prize......
  • Bethany7053
    Bethany7053 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My husband quit smoking almost four months ago and has put on 15 pounds so far. Your lungs are thanking you! Good luck to all of you in your weight loss journey!
  • sgtrowley
    sgtrowley Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Stay motivated. Sorry to hear that. And congrats on beating smoking.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I quit on January 26,2012 after 45 years!!!! Blood clots in my heart and legs made the decision for me! I can actually breathe so much better and my car and clothes no longer stink! I have lost 22 pounds and go to the gym twice a week and exercise at home the other days! Stay focused on your goal!
  • Royalsbatwench
    Royalsbatwench Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting! It's an awesome gift to yourself. You tackled that and you're going to do great with the weight loss and getting into better shape. Good Luck!!
  • Mountainbiker2015
    Mountainbiker2015 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting. I have been smoke free for 7 years this past September. I quit 4 days after my 40th birthday. The weight came on slowly until I could not stand it any more and came here and started my weight loss journey. I have fought weight problems most of my life but this was it for me. I was tired of getting out of breath due to excess weight after working so hard to quit smoking years ago. I am proud of you for your decision to quit smoking and loss the weight.

Karen
  • deege84
    Options
    I quit smoking about 7 years ago and gained 10lbs the first week.. so I went back to smoking. This time I already lost half of my goal weight and I am more focused on the lifestyle change versus the "diet" so when I quit January 1, 2013... I was already off the fast food and unhealthy eating habits. I have a regimen in place and it has been easier. The only time I feel the need to is when I am stressed. But I carry peppermints with me, and pop one in and think of something else.. Good luck, I already feel better, and I hope that you will to!
  • rsjohnb
    rsjohnb Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    In the same oat myself whilst quitting the cigarettes I stuck on 40lb too. Congrats for beating the addiction, if we can do that dropping weight should be a walk in the park ( literally!!):laugh: