Always over on protein.

Options
I'm always going over on protein but nothing else. How badly is that effecting my diet? Would tweaking the protein intake to be a little higher mess everything up? I don't feel like I'm having 'too much'. What do you think?

Replies

• Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Me too but I feel like it's OK for me since I run and I also need the protein to keep hunger at bay. For instance, if I don't eat protein at breakfast I'm hungry almost immediately. But if I have greek yogurt or egg whites I can make it to lunch.
  • amylht
    amylht Posts: 1
    Options
    MFP's protein requirements are too low. You probably SHOULD be over on protein, if anything.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not too much. I eat 120g per day with no problems. Tweak away!
  • joeysox
    joeysox Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i go over on protein i dont bother tbh as long as im on target for cals, fat and carbs ive never had any issues, i work out a lot so protein is good x
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    Protein is good, don't worry
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I've just rejigged my macros to be 30% protein and, having been over on my protein for months, I'm now actually struggling to make my protein requirements.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    From my time here on MFP, I've often heard that the protein settings are low. Is there any reason it would be bad to have a lot of protein?
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Are you going by the numbers MFP gave you?

From what I've been reading, as long as you are under in calories and your doing some weight training you can and should eat more protein.

Here is some good info for figuring out exactly how much: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The default macros it gives you sets the protein really low. You really shouldn't worry about even doubling it. If you want you can manually adjust your macro settings to set your protein at a higher percent and lower your carb percent to compensate.
  • Jenny_Diver
    Jenny_Diver Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How do you change what the macronutrient ratios are? I too find the protein requirement to be too low.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    MFP's default for protein are pretty low. Protein is very important, particularly when you're eating at a deficit as it will assist you in preserving lean body mass while you burn fat. In the absence of protein, your body will burn fat and more lean mass than it would otherwise. If you don't have any kidney issues, protein is really a non issue and the more the better, up to 30% of your calories for the average joe.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    How do you change what the macronutrient ratios are? I too find the protein requirement to be too low.

Go to your home and then goals...change goals...custom...and then you change any marcro or anything else you want to customize.

50/25/25 (carb/protein/fat) is pretty good for most people...mine is 40/30/30. Another common setting is 45/30/25 but that's not enough heart healthy fats for me.
  • monamiso
    Options
    Thanks everyone, that's a great help.

cwolfman13 - 50/25/25 is perfect! thanks!
  • Jenny_Diver
    Jenny_Diver Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great! Thank you so much for the info. Changed mine to 40/30/30 - we'll see how it goes!