Grocery List help?!

Options
hey everyone, i need to add some healthy foods that are inexpensive to my grocery list. all i have so far is boneless chicken breast, help please?! :noway:

Replies

• HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Don't know about the prices where you live but fresh bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, bananas and mushrooms are cheap where I am. Cans of kidney beans, peas and loose corn too for example.

Hope it helps x
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    are you buying for the day or the week or a few days? What do you like or dislike? One thing I do particularly since its just my husband and I is i look for food that can be reheated for lunches and dinners. Watch the weekly adds. I'm horrible at that but it does help to know what's on sale at some stows. Whole wheat pasta and brown rice, squash, Romaine lettuce, celery, tomatoes (note that most people dont realize how much sugar is in tomatoes but they are good for you). I'm funny about fish (other than tuna) and only buy it the day i'm going to cook it. Broccoli, asparagus. Fruits - apples - good time of the year for them. Grapefruit if you like it. Berries. Its ok to buy frozen veggies if you have to. For a single person, you can use part of a bag to cook with and it goes farther(I say this because depending on where you live, fresh fruit and veggies can be very expensive this time of the year.) Lean red meat is good for stir fry or broiling. Lean ground beef or turkey - i use ground turkey in a lot of dishes instead of ground beef and most of the time no one knows the difference. Green peppers are good in a lot of dishes if you like them and salads. i know i'm missing stuff but its a start.
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Brown rice, whole wheat bread with no high fructose corn syrup. Make that nothing with high fructose corn syrup. Think about other healthy sources of protein- all natural peanut butter or almond butter. If you live alone and fresh produce will go bad too quickly, buy frozen, not canned. Frozen vegetables and fruits have more nutrients and don't have added preservatives or salt. I like Yoplait Greek Strawberry yogurt, it has 8g protein and only 110 calories, made with real sugar, not HFCS. You can also buy whole grain pasta. Tomato sauce is pretty good for you, especially homemade, but if you don't know how just buy jarred sauce with ingredients you can pronounce and low sodium.

My boyfriend loves burgers, so I get ground beef for him and ground turkey for me. I can use it in tacos, omelettes, pasta sauce, and as burgers. If you adore cheese, Laughing Cow spreadable cheese makes a lite wedge with only 35 calories, I use this to make faux tuna salad or spread a wedge on a slice of wheat with some lean deli meat and lettuce.

Eggs are also good, but I stick to one yolk a day. I make omelettes with onion, bell pepper, ground turkey, a sprinkle of mexican blend cheese, and hot sauce, and I'll use one whole egg and one egg white.

My general rule of thumb is if I know how it's made, I can buy it. I get chicken breasts and I know it came from a chicken. I buy apples and know they came off a tree. I don't buy Hamburger Helper because I have no idea how to get cheese and spices and flavors into powdered form, which, when cooked, turn back into food again? YUCK. I can make a similar dish with whole grain (or even homemade whole wheat) noodles, ground turkey, real cheese, and fresh herbs that is a million times tastier and healthier.

Don't be afraid to buy something because you don't know what it is or how to cook it. I had no clue what to do with collard greens, but I added them to my cart last time I went shopping and experimented when I got home. I usually go to the store (for 4-5 days) with 3 meals planned out, then plan the rest as I shop based on what looks fresh or what I decide to try.
  • Hannahmave
    Options
    think hummus is always a good thing to have as well, nice side sauce or snack with vegetable sticks x
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Keep a close eye on sales and coupons. Other than that, you can buy bags of brown rice and beans that will last you for a good long while. Frozen vegetables are good and cheap but personally I eat them a bag at a time. If you want soup, you're better off making it in bulk and freezing it than buying the cans (though today's tomato, garlic, and bacon bisque with pulled pork, cheddar, and whole-wheat crackers was awesome). Learn how to work non- or slow-perishables. For flavor, season, don't salt or marinade or ketchup or anything like that.
  • rsjohnb
    rsjohnb Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    porridge, those greek yogurts and ryvita also soup. toast and beans and tinned spaggetti, also eggs
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Lots of fresh and frozen veggies to bulk up all your meals and to add calorie free or low cal bulk. Oats for breakfast and to absorb your cholesterol. Lots of frozen berries for when you get the munchies or crave sweet stuff. Lots of fizzy water to mix with juice to make you think you are having sweet fizzy drinks. Ryvita sweet ones to replace cookies.