Anyone else feel lethargic?

Options
This is my first week dieting on Fitness Pal and I feel absolutely drained. I'm eating all my calories but I'm feeling really hungry at night and I have zero energy. My husband is eating the same but he's not feeling the same. I have to nap in the middle of the day and I don't even feel refreshed then. Anyone else had these symptoms?

Replies

• swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you have your activity level set right? When I first started I had it at sedentary (as I spend a lot of hours a day working at a desk, being a graduate student) and was having a VERY hard time keeping at or below my calories, with similar issues as you- tired and hungry. I then changed my activity level (while I spend all day at my desk, I often walk into town to get lunch, run up and down the stairs to meet with advisor, professors, etc), which gave me about 150 calories extra, and I'm a lot better.

A lot of people say that MFP gives you a rather low calorie level to start with. You could always try giving yourself a few extra calories (say, 100?) and see how that works for a week or two. Also, make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need by making sure to eat a healthy diet; women especially tend to have problems with low iron, so make sure you're getting enough of that in your diet as that could also cause fatigue!!
  • Nancymcgregor
    Nancymcgregor Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've set it as sedentary because I'm mainly sat at a desk all day and I rarely go out. I do clean lots but this week I've had no energy to even cook :( I think I'll give upping my calories a go and get my iron checked. Thanks.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    You haven't even hit 1200 calories today nor several other days, you likely are not eating enough food and definitely not enough nutrients. Your breakfast today was tiny and not at all nutritious - try a decent quality cereal, decent sized serving, add some fruit, fat and protein. Eggs and beans are better but have decent servings, again always have some vegetables (beans count once a day, add tomato puree to the sauce).

Fruit and veg work up to nine servings a day in the full rainbow of colours as supported by the published research. UK guidelines are a a minimum of five but you don't seem to be meeting even that, this is based on being manageable for a population hitting three it is by no means optimal for health. This will help fill you up, supply key nutrients and keep you hydrated. Also be sure to have your three servings of reduced fat dairy a day and oily fish regularly as per the healthy eating guidelines: nutrients supplied by both may be beneficial in weight management. MFP protein and fat settings are minimums.

I don't see much in the way of mineral and fibre rich foods some days: eat more wholegrains, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils. Iron is far from the only nutrient important in energy production, overall calories, many vitamins, minerals, protein and essential fatty acids all play key roles. If you go low calorie you must make every food work for you - supply nutrients - so lose the white carbs like peeled potatoes, crackers and white breads they behave like sugar in the body so can cause spikes and dips in blood sugar and in energy.
  • Nancymcgregor
    Options
    I have been lazy and grabbed cereal because I've been exhausted lately in the morning. I do try to have a protein rich breakfast most mornings. I used to eat oats with flaxseed, nuts and berries but the calorie count went through the roof so I stopped it.

My lunches have been mainly microwave meals because I've been too tired and busy to cook and I know they are full of rubbish. My dinners are pretty healthy though, lots of veg, lean protein and fibre.

I need to force myself to cook breakfast and lunch too. Thanks for the help. I'll add a multivitamin too :)
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Winter depression may be a part of the problem? Low temperatures, very little sunshine, January, having to work again and all that kindof puts me in the same state often lately...
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I always get that way in the winter. Less sunlight and stuck inside gets me down really bad.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Same here. Running outside is almost impossible around my work hours and rain. When we have a few rays of sunlight, I am stuck inside a classroom that is on the wrong side of the building. Shorter days trip some sort of biological switch and I put on my winter layer of fat, just as I have done every year since potty-training, it seems. March/April will not be here soon enough.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I would try upping your calories. When my calories dip too low I feel lethargic, too. Here is a link on running your numbers to see what you burn a day...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Good luck!
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    1. Higher protien, lower calorie food choices. Basicly, rethink a lot of your food choices
    2. Tea. And water. Lots of it.
    3. Don't be afraid to do a 20-30minuet power nap in the later part of the day.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Not enough calories.
  • Nancymcgregor
    Options
    I do hate Winter and the cold. I tend to stay indoors a lot. I do suffer with depression but I keep an eye on my moods and thought patterns and I'm pretty much happy at the moment. It must be my calorie intake. I'm going to check that link out, thanks xxx
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I would try upping your calories. When my calories dip too low I feel lethargic, too. Here is a link on running your numbers to see what you burn a day...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Good luck!

This link is awesome. I found my groove when I stumbled on this several months ago. I also get very tired when I don't eat enough. I also notice that you don't log your water (don't know if you drink it or not?) and being dehydrated can also drain you. Hope you feel better as you find the number of calories that let you lose and still feel great. :flowerforyou:
  • Tammyinbali
    Tammyinbali Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Try adding Vitamin D & Vitamin B Complex in the morning...these really helped me. I noticed a difference the same day I started taking them...I was up cleaning the house like a maniac in the evening! Haha! But after a couple of days my body adjusted and settled down. Now I have way more energy & better moods.
  • vickymatthew
    Options
    Feeling sometimes the same. How about Iron and B12 vitamins. I swim 80 to 100 laps every other day and do 1 hour eliptical. That is when I feel the best. Do not give up. I noticed that I crave trail mix a lot. But again to much fat in it. This time I will increase my protein during the day. Fresh cooked chicken and spinach instead trailor mix. Walk for 15 minutes and take deep breaths. Hope I helped.
  • Silvara_11
    Silvara_11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I used to feel lethargic all the time, esp when dieting. Turns out I had low Iron levels and one of the things you cut out when dieting is red meat.

I now take an Iron + B complex vitamin and feel great and usually not constantly craving food. Try eating a steak to see if that helps and if not than a generic multi-vitamin may do.

All the best!!
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    "I do suffer with depression"

Depression and weight loss are not good friends... but you can turn it around.

At least what works for me is using my imagination. I tell myself yes, it's winter, it is dark, I would like to cuddle up in front of "Love Actually" with a bag of chips.... BUT! what holds me back is the 6-month commitment I made. By 30th June I want to be this happy lean girl I picture myself to be, and that keeps me going.

June is so far away but I can do so much for this to happen. Patience is the key.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Could be a winter thing, and also, maybe a need for more exercise and time outdoors? I found I was wanting to sleep all day, and struggling to do anything for a time, until I got back to my cycling and the gym again.

Also, a good and easy breakfast would be a pot or bowl of greek yoghurt(I have total 0% but you can get ones with honey and fruit etc) with some oatmeal and a banana mixed in, which covers carbs and protein.

Hard boil eggs each week and keep them in your fridge so you can just grab a couple. They are a great snack.

Tubs of cottage cheese are also good, I used to have a banana and a small tub of cottage cheese for breakfast.

As for lunch, I tend to just have snacks myself, but I make my snacks things like nuts, seeds, hard boiled eggs, roasted chickpeas etc.

You could always get a blender and make soup, or get a stew going in a slow cooker, then you can just dig into that over a couple of days, which is what I do.

Bear in mind, what you eat can affect your mood as well. I find too much sugar or white bread etc, makes me feel a lot worse.
  • Nancymcgregor
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I checked my BMR and Body Fat percentage and I need to be eating an extra 200 calories. I've adjusted my calories on here and hopefully that will help. I'm going to try the supplements you suggested and get outside more (shudder). I'll let you know how I get on.

Lovely to meet you all, feel free to add me as a friend :)